Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yella Terra roller rockers

Old 04-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yella Terra roller rockers

These are non-adjustable shaft paired rocker arms. Since they are non-adjustable like stock ones all you have to do is put them on and tighten to correct torque specs right??
Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

nope! not that easy. go to "ls1howto.com" and read about installing YT..
Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
nope! not that easy. go to "ls1howto.com" and read about installing YT..
I saw that **** but I dont get it, if they are non adjustable why do they require all that bs?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

to get max lift with lifter pre-load= Hp.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 PM

Okay will the car run f'd up if I just tighten the rockers down like a stock rocker?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ima get mines
Okay will the car run f'd up if I just tighten the rockers down like a stock rocker?
Not initially unless its really off, but if you dont' set them up right look for excessive guide wear and possibly valve stem wear. If you don't want to set them up correctly, why bother?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

well depends on lifter pre-load, you wiil probably get valve noise. what u want to check is when YT are tq'd, position piston's at TDC and with fingers rotate p-rods if they rotate p-rods are to small, if they dont you might be ok but, can still make valve noise(sewing machine).
why are you not wanting to install as per instructions?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 PM

I do want them installed right. I've always thought the non adjustable ones did not need the valve lash and all of the adjusting. My car just got a new cam and heads installed and has not been fired up yet, the guy who was doing it for me also put my rr's on which he also knows they are non adjustable and was under the impression that you just had to simply tighten them down. He's built many ls1 motors but never put rr's on them. I read that corvette install guide long before I got the rr's and I was like WTF I didnt realize I had to do all of that.

My rr's are on, ported heads and new cam. Its just waiting to be started up, I'll have to re-do the rr installation if it runs like ****. Thats why i'm asking.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

the harland sharp rockers that i got new...didn't come with any shims...

interesting...any reason why?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

The fulcrum to valve stem is fixed on a non-adjustable and therefore the length and height will determine the wipe pattern on the valve stem. You need to ensure your wipe pattern is centered or ever so slightly biased towards the intake side of the valve stem. The only way to make this adjustment is to raise/lower the fulcrum point (shims). Once the wipe is correct, the pushrod length can be determined to provide the proper preload. Most LSx rockers wipe from inside to outside, they do not mid-lift wipe (narrowest pattern achievable) so if you don't set them up correctly the wipe pattern can be very wide and the contact location can be near the outer edge where you don't want it as this is also your highest spring force position. This translates into very large valve guide side loads.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

just take it step by step the ls1howto tell you everything you need to know. my opinoin set the rockers up right, and do a good job because you don't what to invest all that money in your engine just to f--- it up do you?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The fulcrum to valve stem is fixed on a non-adjustable and therefore the length and height will determine the wipe pattern on the valve stem. You need to ensure your wipe pattern is centered or ever so slightly biased towards the intake side of the valve stem. The only way to make this adjustment is to raise/lower the fulcrum point (shims). Once the wipe is correct, the pushrod length can be determined to provide the proper preload. Most LSx rockers wipe from inside to outside, they do not mid-lift wipe (narrowest pattern achievable) so if you don't set them up correctly the wipe pattern can be very wide and the contact location can be near the outer edge where you don't want it as this is also your highest spring force position. This translates into very large valve guide side loads.
I have a set waiting to be re-installed. I did use the shims included and got good wipe pattern, but my PR seem to be a tad short so I took the rocckers off until I can get the checkers and order a new set of proper length pushrods. Unfortunately this is on the back burner until I put bigger injectors and finish the tune.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I have seen so many of these threads. I'm never gonna bother payin all that money for parts so tempermental. I opted for the cheaper choice & still get something better than stock.

I called Harland Sharp & will be sending in my stockers to be rebuilt. Its only $250+shipping, which is cheaper than most aftermarket sets. And according to the guy I talked to from Harland, they are every bit just as good as a $500 set of aftermarket ones.

Talk about the budget way to get a good set of rockers & retain stock installation.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Man I have seen so many of these threads. I'm never gonna bother payin all that money for parts so tempermental.
The YT's are nice pieces and easy to install. If your not mechanically inclined and can't follow instructions and install them yourself then have a qualified person do it. Either way do it right or don't bitch when it goes wrong.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
The YT's are nice pieces and easy to install. If your not mechanically inclined and can't follow instructions and install them yourself then have a qualified person do it. Either way do it right or don't bitch when it goes wrong.
That had nothing to do with my post. And imagine that, you got YT's, so of coarse your gonna vouch for them & good for you. Its not that I couldn't install them & thats not what I said, its just that I would rather save money & get the same performance with a modified stock unit that can install exactly like a stock piece.

You don't always have to buy the more expensive big name products to have a solid car with great reliable performance. Thats was the point of my post.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Big Mike, I was not directing my post towards you. I should have qualified it more. It was intended towards the original poster that has allready purchased them and just needs to install them right.

The stockers work fine in most apps and when you have them rebuilt by HS they are pretty bulletproof. My main beef with them is that your limited to the sweep pattern over the valve tip. With the YT's and others you can make it better than stock.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Good point.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
Big Mike, I was not directing my post towards you. I should have qualified it more. It was intended towards the original poster that has allready purchased them and just needs to install them right.

The stockers work fine in most apps and when you have them rebuilt by HS they are pretty bulletproof. My main beef with them is that your limited to the sweep pattern over the valve tip. With the YT's and others you can make it better than stock.
My stock ones arent strong enough for the cam I had, a few of them broke and shat needle bearings all over my motor. I didnt know you could rebuild a stock ls1 rocker!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, the stock rockers are not real great, but the upgrade done by Harland Sharp makes them just as reliable as the expensive sets & you never have to worry about them again. For $250 thats a great deal & piece of mind.

Call them & talk to them about it.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ima get mines
My stock ones arent strong enough for the cam I had, a few of them broke and shat needle bearings all over my motor. I didnt know you could rebuild a stock ls1 rocker!
Sounds like you need a stiffer/stronger rocker. The Cranes are much stronger than stock, not sure on the Yella Terra's though.

Search this Thread