Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New Car New Build PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Car New Build PART 2

Well I got to the shop at 10am this morning thinking I was going to be able to finish up and have the car nearly ready to start up tonight. NOPE . The alternator relocation bracket I bought from Smokin Hawk wont work with my NASTY N8 fuel rails at all. I have a set of Speed Inc rails on the way, but who knows if they will be any better or not. The turbo demons stike again.

So far all I have left is a couple relays for the fuel pump and fans on the FAST XFI system, Mounting the Spohn rear sway bar, fluids, belt, hoses, and clean up before being able to start the car. Oh yeah, and the alternator situation. So close yet so far away.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried using 90* or 45* fittings at the rail to gain clerance. Ive always had do to something like that with aftermarket rails and relocated alt.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Yeah I am ordering a 90 degree fitting today. I am hopping that takes care of the problem with clearance. If not I will be fabbing up a diffrent bracket for the mount.

Okay I ordered some more fuel fitting and all my vacuum hose today. I had them next day aired to me so I should have them tomarrow. Hopefully I can stay on schedule and have the car runnign by Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by wickedred; 04-16-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wickedred
Yeah I am ordering a 90 degree fitting today. I am hopping that takes care of the problem with clearance. If not I will be fabbing up a diffrent bracket for the mount.

Okay I ordered some more fuel fitting and all my vacuum hose today. I had them next day aired to me so I should have them tomarrow. Hopefully I can stay on schedule and have the car runnign by Saturday afternoon.

Ive had a couple people tell me they had to cut 2" off the end of the fuel rail and then re-thread the end....

Kyle
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Ive had a couple people tell me they had to cut 2" off the end of the fuel rail and then re-thread the end....

Kyle
Thats pretty much it, then use a NPT to braided elbow and you have a ton of room. Some rails use o-ring fittings and those are a little tricky to tap but 3/8 NPT is no problem..
Old 04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, my Nasty rails fit fine with my smokin hawk bracket. I had to shave the black plastic on the back of the alternator but it fits.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
9 Second Club

weird eh.....all cars the same and everything fits different
Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

I kept on messing with it. I am gonna try cut te plastic cover on the back of the alternator down and see if that helps. If not I am gonna cut the fuel rail down and rethread it.

To add to my day, my Sphon rear sway bar gave me trouble too. It was my fualt though. I have to order some new bushing pads and u-bolts.

I should have all my fitting and vacuum line in tomarrow. Hopefully I can get the majority off the little things done and finish up Friday.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what you call top notch GM quality control. My LS1speed rails fit perfectly with my alternator bracket, but I did have to hack the "dog leg" piece of plastic off the back of the alternator to gain some clearance. I also have my CAS ADJ FPR hanging off the end of my rail as well.

J
Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Dont get me wrong. Smokin Hawks relocation bracket is a nice piece. I am gonna make it work. I should have eveything tomarrow to finish the fuel systme and plumb all the vacuum lines. I ordered the right size stuff from Sphon to get my rear sway bar done. It all shoul dba here this Thursday. I am bound and determined to have some pics of the car on 4 wheels and tires and some video's of the start up by this weekend.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

Well I got all my fuel fitting and new Speed Inc rails in and on the car. Fuel system is done. I fabbed up a custom altanator relocation bracket based around a buddies diesign (thanks Jessie). I think it works out alot better for my build. It doesnt crowd the fuel rail or get in the way of the oil fill cap. My sicone hose came in and the rest of my vacuum line fitting should be here Friday. Me and my dad are gona wire up the fuel pump and fan relays Friday night. After that its just hooking everthing up to the battery and filling it up with fluids. I hope to have it ready to start this weekend but refuse to rush it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

(I will try get some pics up soon of the progress.)
Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Well I spent the last 3 days at the shop. Gotta love how you think you have everything needed to get the job(s) done, and then you find out you dont.

I fixed the alternator situation with the custome mount in the pic below.

Here is where the turbo setup is at as of tonight. 90% finished. I have to run some vacuum lines and clean up some odds and ends, but I am close.

Here are a couple of under car shots.

My FAST XFI mount and wheels and tires.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you used those 315 drag radials before with a lot of power? How do they work if so?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

Never used them before. I had the 275/17 MT Radials on my 03 Cobra with 508rwhp and it was nice. This car should make alot more Hp and I dont figure the 315 BFG DR's are gonna like it. I wont be driving the car in the rain at all, and I wanted a tire that was better than a regular street tire. I need to get a set of dedicated wheels and drag tires (28x10.5 Slicks). At this point I just want the car in running condition so I can get started on the tune.

On a future note. Latter in the year the car will be completley taken back apart to have a cage put it and be completely re-wired. It is going to recieve a 408 with AFR 225's and twin TC76BB turbo's. I will be shooting for a HP goal north of 1200rwhp and it will be a true drag race setup that will remain street leagl, though I highly doubt it will be streetable.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry i missed this thread, but for the fitting to work with my bracket you needed a 3/8npt to hose right, it has more clearance, then have to slightly trim the back plastic.
my recent designs moves it out and completly out of the way of the fuel rail.
if i knew you were having problems with it i would have tried to help you out and maybe switch your old one with a newer one or something, looks like you got it taken care of though.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

Never used them before. I had the 275/17 MT Radials on my 03 Cobra with 508rwhp and it was nice. This car should make alot more Hp and I dont figure the 315 BFG DR's are gonna like it. I wont be driving the car in the rain at all, and I wanted a tire that was better than a regular street tire. I need to get a set of dedicated wheels and drag tires (28x10.5 Slicks). At this point I just want the car in running condition so I can get started on the tune.

On a future note. Latter in the year the car will be completley taken back apart to have a cage put it and be completely re-wired. It is going to recieve a 408 with AFR 225's and twin TC76BB turbo's. I will be shooting for a HP goal north of 1200rwhp and it will be a true drag race setup that will remain street leagl, though I highly doubt it will be streetable.
I have some 17x11s too for my street wheels so I thought I might run those this summer around town. Being that I have a full spool, I don't think I want to drop the coin on some of those new MT 315 DRs.

I might switch to a T4 T88 soon. I will try the T76 out at first, but if it can't feed 20psi at 7k rpms.....then I need to look at new plans.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
sorry i missed this thread, but for the fitting to work with my bracket you needed a 3/8npt to hose right, it has more clearance, then have to slightly trim the back plastic.
my recent designs moves it out and completly out of the way of the fuel rail.
if i knew you were having problems with it i would have tried to help you out and maybe switch your old one with a newer one or something, looks like you got it taken care of though.

It was not big deal really. The first one I got from you worked great on my 98 Z28. This build is a little more hard core. I appreciate the fact that you were willing to help take care of the issue.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ninetres
I have some 17x11s too for my street wheels so I thought I might run those this summer around town. Being that I have a full spool, I don't think I want to drop the coin on some of those new MT 315 DRs.

I might switch to a T4 T88 soon. I will try the T76 out at first, but if it can't feed 20psi at 7k rpms.....then I need to look at new plans.

Yeah the full spool will tear up a set of DR's. I would have gotten the MT 315's DR's if they had been out when I ordered the BFG's. The MT's will be the next tire on the ZR1's
Old 04-22-2007, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah the full spool will tear up a set of DR's. I would have gotten the MT 315's DR's if they had been out when I ordered the BFG's. The MT's will be the next tire on the ZR1's
I know 20psi will slaughter any street tire. I was hoping I could get away with 10 psi on the street, and hooking above 40mph or so.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ninetres
I know 20psi will slaughter any street tire. I was hoping I could get away with 10 psi on the street, and hooking above 40mph or so.
Yeah, its gonna be hard to hook the power on the street. The ZR1's is the only set of wheels and tires I have right now. I didnt want to buy a set of drag wheels knowing during the off season I was gonna mini tub the car and narrow the rear. The DR's are gonna have to due this season. I plan to be out in full force next season.

Quick Reply: New Car New Build PART 2