Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

please give me yalls opinion about this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please give me yalls opinion about this...

hey guys, well i just got back into another first gen firebird. this one is an org. 67 400 4 speed car, but currently has a 70 455 in it and not sure what type 4 speed trans. the motor and tranny have about 5000 miles on them and work great. the body is in great shape except for some rust behind the rear wheel wells. other than that the car is in great shape. i just ordered the PHS for the car and it confirmed that for me, but also told me that the car was originally coronado gold with gold int. not exactly a desirable color combo. so this is where my question comes in place....

i def plan on selling the car soon so i can get a different project, but my question is what would make it more appealing to the public for a quicker sale. the car is in primer and will remain because i dont have the money to put into paint. so what do yall think would make this car more attractive to the market.

leave it the way it is with the 455 and 4 speed and do some driveablitly mods like ls1 brakes up front and some other mior mods

or... get a matching block and and try and keep the car as stock as possible? my only concern with that is that if someone were to make the car to original specs, they would have to paint the car gold, and i dont think that will make it easier to sell.

my concern with doing the mods that i want with the car and leaving the 455 in there is that the value of the car will either stay the same or actually go down. what do all of yall think. i really appreciate it.

daniel

if you are interested in the car let me know
Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

doing brakes (other than stock) wont really pump up demand...

find a correct block/tranny... you don't have to install it, but offer it with the car.

basically, you need to sell it now... with nothing invested. Any money you put in (unless it goes back to original) is money down the drain...

nice ride tho... hope it screams!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

see that is exactly what i was thinking. it could definatly use some break work, anytime i hit the brakes the left rear locks up nasty lol.

but she needs some carb work done to her and then she should be a lil screamer. lol but thanks for the quick response bud.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Firebirds suffer in resale compared to their sibling the Camaro. While a '67 400 is badass and several of us love them, they still do not bring nearly the bucks of a 67-69 Camaro in equal condition. If the car does not have the original engine, then no amount of playing engine swaparoo will improve the value unless you put in some exotic (LSX or 502ci etc...) engine.

If you have no plans on finishing the car, just give it a good clean up and take some decent photos of it. Turn it with zero added, unless there are a few minor appearance/cosmetics you can do on the cheap.

primer won't scare people away if the body is solid and rust free. If it isn't solid, maybe you can do the body work on the car yourself and sell it as a "refurbished body" car, ready for paint. List it over on pro-touring.com and ebay to get the most eyes.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

yea the only rust left on the car now is behind the rear wheel wells. there was some on the floor pan but it was cut out and replaced. the front fenders and hood is new as well. and im not trin to make a super big buck or anything, but i would like to get a lil bit more than i paid for it.
as for doing some of the bodywork myself... i wish i had the tools to. but i think i am gonna try and get some of that rust taken care of before i try to sell it.
but thanks for the reply bud, i did plan on putting it on pro-tourng and possibly ebay.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say keep it and do the pro touring restification idea

thats what I am doing, so I guess you could say I am bias

or you could convert it to a Camaro haha just kidding
Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm another opinion for keeping it and making it something you like, unless you're not a fan of them. Personally the gold color combo is cool (different than all the blue, red and other common colors) to me, but I like green too!

Good luck whatever route you choose.

Derek
Old 04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

well i would like to keep the car, but i just cant afford it, another time i try to do something but just seem to not have the money

but thanks alot for the replies guys, i really appreciate it. keep'em coming though

*edit*
yea the gold color doesnt look that great lol, it is really wierd looking haha, but i like green to wierd hahahaha
Old 04-17-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I kicked around the idea of painting my Impala the Aztec gold color once, but I was like NAH

if you need to sell it I say leave it alone basically, do a tune up and get it running really good then sell it, I know there is somebody looking for that combo, check out Performance Years forum there is alot of pure Pontiac guys, I am almost certain somebody on there is looking for a 67 Bird
Old 04-19-2007, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

well thanks alot bud, i really appreciate it. sorry it took so long to get back to you, just been real busy. but yea the carb needs some work and just some minor things and then she will be ready to g-o go lol

*edit* well i just checked out the performance years website and wow! i wish i would have known about this site a long time ago!

Last edited by 68birdls1; 04-19-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea those are pontiac purists over there, its basically like this website for LS1 and LT1 stuff, but only for Pontiacs