LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blocked EGR now car is smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Blocked EGR now car is smoking?

Over the last week I have replaced the clutch, rear main seal, and intake gasket. When I had the intake off I made the block off plate for the EGR tube and valve. That is all I have done since I disassembled the car, and before I took it apart there was no smoke, now it seems to have less power and when I rev the motor, and at stop lights I end up in a cloud of white smoke??? Also how do you remove the EGR controller without getting the SES light?
Any advice?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

No idea about the smoke, but if you remove the EGR you need to have it tuned out
Old 04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6SPDZ28
Over the last week I have replaced the clutch, rear main seal, and intake gasket. When I had the intake off I made the block off plate for the EGR tube and valve. That is all I have done since I disassembled the car, and before I took it apart there was no smoke, now it seems to have less power and when I rev the motor, and at stop lights I end up in a cloud of white smoke??? Also how do you remove the EGR controller without getting the SES light?
Any advice?
intake gasket is probably something todo with it
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Teching In

I drove it to work tonight and noticed that the smoking only seems to happen when I am decelerating, and it has always had a little backfiring while I am slowing down, but now I see large puffs of smoke when it pops.
Is there a way to check the seal of the intake gasket?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's coming out the exhaust? Removing the EGR w/o tuning it out probably is the case, as said.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine is off and has no smoke probs at all why would that cause it..egr puts unburnt fuel back into the motor..how would not doing that cause it to smoke..doesnt make since..check your oil to make sure you didnt blow your head gasket
Old 04-18-2007, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Yea, just what I was about to say..
If you are running a stock Cam and blocked the EGR, you might have blown the Head Gasket. The LT1 stock Cam doesn't have enough overlap and the profile of it doesn't bleed off of the Cylinder Pressures, so you might have cooked it..
Old 04-18-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
mine is off and has no smoke probs at all why would that cause it..egr puts unburnt fuel back into the motor..how would not doing that cause it to smoke..doesnt make since..check your oil to make sure you didnt blow your head gasket
Because it's tuned to run with EGR?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

I did check for blown head gasket by 1 checking for coolant in oil, 2 checking for oil in coolant, and 3 running car with coolant cap off and looking for bubbles or movement. It seems that the head gasket idea isnt my problem. If there are any better ways to test for this let me know.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Another thing I have noticed is that now the cooling fans run right after the car is started, is it possible that the coolant temp sensor is telling the computer that the car is overheating? And if so could this cause a rich running condition or "limp mode" ?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Problem solved, it was my breather sucking oil vapor from the valve cover, so I replaced the breather hose with a breather filter, and capped the vacuum line on the throttle body. I guess after having the intake worked, and sealing the other oil leaks it must have allowed the intake vacuum to get high enough to start pulling oil when it wouldnt before. thanks for all the help.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Ok so im looking at blocking off my egr and was wondering if i would need to do anything else to it (tune, replace other parts etc etc..)?? I would rather spend $20 and block it off than spend about $70 for a new one. Also what would be the advantages and disadvantages to blocking off the EGR?? Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

With a Stock Cam you run a damn good chance of cooking the Head Gasket..
You will need a Tune, expecially being OBDII..
Old 06-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Teching In

alright what about with the lt4 hot cam??
Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_merv
Looks like I should expect a blown head gasket soon :\ Maybe because I'm 93, I'm spelcial :S
Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

That makes absolutley no sense at all. What the hell does overlap have to do with anything. Even with overlap when the exhaust valve opens the pressure goes out of it. And if there was a bunch of pressure stuck in the cylinder when the intake valve would open it would fire back thru the intake. I have seen more then one older sbc that the exhaust side lobe on the cam was wore out and if you dropped your foot on it the extra pressure in the chamber popped back thru the intake. These were driving for some time doing this just ran easier and they didnt have a blown head gasket on them.

Not to mention the egr works off of the gasses in the manifold and lets them get back into the intake so how in the hell would that make a difference in a head gasket you are both outside of the chamber so it wouldnt bleed out any more gas and the little it lets in the intake will never be enough to cause any issue. Most older sbc if you pull the egr out the intake passage in completly clogged up with junk and dont work anyways and they are not blowing head gaskets. Without forced induction you cant get anymore into the cylinder unless you change pistons or something and Physics takes over for getting rid of it.

Yea, just what I was about to say..
If you are running a stock Cam and blocked the EGR, you might have blown the Head Gasket. The LT1 stock Cam doesn't have enough overlap and the profile of it doesn't bleed off of the Cylinder Pressures, so you might have cooked it..
Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

If it didnt do it before and its doing it now something is wrong. The oil leak on the intake from before wasnt letting any air pressure out of it. You either got some hoses back in the wrong spot or something else is wrong. If it was pulling oil up thru the vac line then maybe you oil isnt draning back down thru the return holes in the head due to something blocking them off. Its not going to pull oil out of mid air unless its pulling super super hard due to the air cleaner being completly clogged up and its pulling most of the air into the engine thru that tube. And if that was the case the motor would run like complete **** and be smoking black from running rich.

Originally Posted by 6SPDZ28
Problem solved, it was my breather sucking oil vapor from the valve cover, so I replaced the breather hose with a breather filter, and capped the vacuum line on the throttle body. I guess after having the intake worked, and sealing the other oil leaks it must have allowed the intake vacuum to get high enough to start pulling oil when it wouldnt before. thanks for all the help.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Enforcerws6
That makes absolutley no sense at all. What the hell does overlap have to do with anything. Even with overlap when the exhaust valve opens the pressure goes out of it. And if there was a bunch of pressure stuck in the cylinder when the intake valve would open it would fire back thru the intake. I have seen more then one older sbc that the exhaust side lobe on the cam was wore out and if you dropped your foot on it the extra pressure in the chamber popped back thru the intake. These were driving for some time doing this just ran easier and they didnt have a blown head gasket on them.

Not to mention the egr works off of the gasses in the manifold and lets them get back into the intake so how in the hell would that make a difference in a head gasket you are both outside of the chamber so it wouldnt bleed out any more gas and the little it lets in the intake will never be enough to cause any issue. Most older sbc if you pull the egr out the intake passage in completly clogged up with junk and dont work anyways and they are not blowing head gaskets. Without forced induction you cant get anymore into the cylinder unless you change pistons or something and Physics takes over for getting rid of it.

It didn't make any sense to me to be honest. If there's that much pressure in your exhaust that it's bleeding into the intake through the EGR, I think something else is up.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and agree with the above, I mean a lot of stock cam LT1 people have done this mod (egr delete) and if that always lead to blown head gaskets I don't think nearly as many people would be doing it. I deleted the EGR on my stock cam lt1 and it's been fine so far.

Now, it's known that yes the EGR system does help reduce combustion temps in some situations (mainly when lugging the engine in the wrong gear) but I don't really think it would affect the temp THAT much. The main idea of the egr was to reduce the nox emissions, it wasn't put on as an essential component of engine operation. That's why you see the LS1s getting it initially too (with a larger cam that definitely didn't need it).

Last edited by infinitebird; 06-03-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

No offense intended, you offer a lot of good info at times and allways try to help, but you really really really need to study up on exactly what the egr does. You do realize that there were millions of miles logged on small block chevys, before smog control was mandated by the government? I have a 94 sonoma in my driveway that will hit 300k in a couple of months, the egr has been blocked on it for the last 100k miles.

I'm also pretty sure that any tuning involved in egr removal only involves removal of the codes, so that the ses light doesn't stay on.

Quick Reply: Blocked EGR now car is smoking?