Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any ATCer's in here

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ATCer's in here

leaving for the USAF may 8 and will be going to ATC school in Biloxi....how do you guys like your ATC job....stressfull as the make it out to be? And how tough is school?
Kurt
Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Launching!

I have a friend who is an ATC LT. He likes his job. He mostly deals with Helo's though.

I'm a pilot, so I love you guys. You make my life sooo much easier. Heaven forbid I have to think on my own.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
leaving for the USAF may 8 and will be going to ATC school in Biloxi....how do you guys like your ATC job....stressfull as the make it out to be? And how tough is school?
Kurt
I'm in the reserves down here in Biloxi. How long are you going to be down here?

Jerry
Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

i just got out of biloxi. You'll be in the 334th. I was there but i was a "poptart". Biloxi is still hurt up and all the guys hate school because its so long and not easy. Seemed like a lot of guys got washed back at some point, but like anything you give effort and its not bad.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
i just got out of biloxi. You'll be in the 334th. I was there but i was a "poptart". Biloxi is still hurt up and all the guys hate school because its so long and not easy. Seemed like a lot of guys got washed back at some point, but like anything you give effort and its not bad.
poptart?....hurt up...whats that mean?
got another question ill be A1C due to me having 50 college hours going in....do i get A1C pay right away or after boot camp....im sure its different than the people that signed 6 years to get A1C....although i have to enlist 6 years to do the ATC job dangit...oh well the reelist bonus's are good and if i want out ATCers make good money

btw ill be going to school late june until however long the school is

anyone know exactly how long atc school is?

i have family in waveland....30 min from biloxi and a few friends based down there.....do tech schoolers get the down friday along with the rest of the base everyother friday or is that for people that are based there only?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 PM
JUICED96Z

Yes you will get the A1C pay then. You can ask your recruiter or do a few google yahoo searches on any or ther info.
http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynam...cfetp1c1x1.pdf

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob1c1x1.htm

Another REALLY long one is Intel imagery, 120 days. I am sure there is a longer one.

Still not to bad when you look at all the school for Pararescue, Combat Control, ect ect. By the time you are done with all the school its a year or a little more.

Do you know if you have to have good color vision for ATC?

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-17-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Teching In

The school is just over 4 months long, be ready to study. Because its not going to be easy, there is tons and tons of stuff to memories in a short amount of time. I also heard that they changed the school up, so expect to be assigned to a RAPCON facility, because there taking out the Tower section.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Yes you will get the A1C pay then. You can ask your recruiter or do a few google yahoo searches on any or ther info.
http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynam...cfetp1c1x1.pdf

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob1c1x1.htm

Another REALLY long one is Intel imagery, 120 days. I am sure there is a longer one.

Still not to bad when you look at all the school for Pararescue, Combat Control, ect ect. By the time you are done with all the school its a year or a little more.

Do you know if you have to have good color vision for ATC?
not sure on the color vision....i was thinking the school was much longer than 120 days.....so i get a1c pay during basic or after basic....since i do have 50 credit hours going in?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

it depends how your contract reads. My contract put me as an e-3 then so i got e-3 pay through basic. You'll get to put your stripes on the last couple days of basic. as said atc school is a little over 4 weeks but didnt know anyone who got out before 5, because your going to have to do afi(details) until your classes start. Some start in a couple weeks others have waited a month or so. good luck
Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Damn dude, 4 months was my first tech school at keesler... lol my grand total time in tech school was 7 months to the day.

Keesler rocked, lots of underaged drinkin fo' sho ... the beach isnt the best but its a beach. I had alot of fun there (pre katrina, Post Ivan) Then i got to go to sheppard Im from Tx, and i even thought that place blew ***.

when i was at keesler from Aug 04-Dec 04, we got down fridays every other week which was really badass, it gave most of the locals and semi locals a chance to catch a bus home. I also here the phase program is a little easier...

Have fun, tech school sucks, but its better than basic.. just look forward to the "real" Air Force

-justin
Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT Malice
I'm a pilot, so I love you guys. You make my life sooo much easier. Heaven forbid I have to think on my own.
That really depends if ATC is having an "off" day or not. They've saved my butt and helped me out a number of times, but they'll try to kill you every now and again too.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:20 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Toasty
That really depends if ATC is having an "off" day or not. They've saved my butt and helped me out a number of times, but they'll try to kill you every now and again too.

LOL "Im sorry sir, I did not realize there was another airplane in front of you headed your way"

Or "Opps Im sorry sir, I did not know there was an aircraft landing onto the runway that you were taxing onto" That one really has happend.

I have flown with buddies before and when we have gone to ATC controlled airports and non ATC the ATC ones are A LOT less stressfull. But even at an ATC one once we had a pilot just flying around not paying attention and get REALLY close. Not sure if ATC was on an off day or if this guy was just clueless....

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-18-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
it depends how your contract reads. My contract put me as an e-3 then so i got e-3 pay through basic. You'll get to put your stripes on the last couple days of basic. as said atc school is a little over 4 weeks but didnt know anyone who got out before 5, because your going to have to do afi(details) until your classes start. Some start in a couple weeks others have waited a month or so. good luck

4 weeks?....ive heard 8 months or so you do know atc is air traffic control....wouldnt figure you could learn it all in 4 weeks....ill have to call my recruiter for a1c info
Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Its just over four months, trust me I know, I'm a controller. It is a short time to grasp all the info they throw at you, that one of the reasons for the high washout rate. Plus at tech school your just learning the very very basics. The real test come at your first base. I have seen people take up to two years to get fully checked out and get there 5 level.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

i ment 4 months sorry
Old 04-18-2007, 08:24 PM
JUICED96Z

Kurtomac, when you talk to your recruiter ask him/her if you have to have normal color vision for ATC
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Kurtomac, when you talk to your recruiter ask him/her if you have to have normal color vision for ATC

The answer is YES