Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sputtering in boost...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sputtering in boost...HELP!!

When the car is in boost, it will sometimes sputter. I did have a problem with oil getting through my tubing but that is fixed. The only problem now is I still have some pooling in the bottom of my intercooler. I know this because when I boost the car, the maf gets covered in oil and I have to clean it frequently. Anyone else ever had this symptom from oil or am I looking in the wrong direction?
How and what do you use to clean oil out of your interooler?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Oil getting into your intake will cause detonation, better be careful. I suggest you remove your intercooler and clean it out so you don;t get anymore oil up into the intake which is bad news.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Do you just hose them out or is there a solvent that I should use to degrease it?

Just had the car out and it seems to only do it in first gear. All other gears pull hard without any problems
Old 04-18-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the a rich condition...have a wideband on it?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be detonation, could be too rich, or could be just blowing the spark out. Like Superman said, clean that intercooler out. I would pull it out, fill it with gas and let it soak for a while. A day would be good. Pour half out and swish the other half around to break up anything sticking and discard. Let it dry and replace.

Also, pull your plugs and see if they are fouled or gapped too widely. Based on your sig, I'm guessing you are pushing a fair amount of boost. Double check that plug gap.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fletchls1
When the car is in boost, it will sometimes sputter. I did have a problem with oil getting through my tubing but that is fixed. The only problem now is I still have some pooling in the bottom of my intercooler. I know this because when I boost the car, the maf gets covered in oil and I have to clean it frequently. Anyone else ever had this symptom from oil or am I looking in the wrong direction?
How and what do you use to clean oil out of your interooler?
Thanks
I'm having the same problem also. I'm going to check my plugs to see if I'm fouling them.

I'm getting oil in my system also. What did you do to fix the problem?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Speed
Could be detonation, could be too rich, or could be just blowing the spark out. Like Superman said, clean that intercooler out. I would pull it out, fill it with gas and let it soak for a while. A day would be good. Pour half out and swish the other half around to break up anything sticking and discard. Let it dry and replace.

Also, pull your plugs and see if they are fouled or gapped too widely. Based on your sig, I'm guessing you are pushing a fair amount of boost. Double check that plug gap.
The car was tuned with an a/f of 11.5:1. I'm pretty sure its not a plug issue because like I said, it only does it in first gear. If it were plugs it should do it in every gear. How does oil cause detonation?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
I'm having the same problem also. I'm going to check my plugs to see if I'm fouling them.

I'm getting oil in my system also. What did you do to fix the problem?

I use a flow control valve to adjust the oil where I want it. Ordered mine from northern tool.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fletchls1
I use a flow control valve to adjust the oil where I want it. Ordered mine from northern tool.
I'll check it out.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

I would clean it gently with hot water & Simple Green, then check it. If it is gunked up, then I'd use engine degreaser lightly, followed by a couple rinses then the water/SG combo. Putting it back with a little dampness or wetness is fine, just not pools of water. It's not uncommon for one to need a cleaning yearly on some cars.

You might need a catch can in your PCV line.

Also, if you are sputtering in boost, I would absolutely stay out of boost until you fix the problem. Sometimes the temptation is to "keep your foot in it and clear it out". Resist that temptation.

Jim
Old 04-19-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeltaT
I would clean it gently with hot water & Simple Green, then check it. If it is gunked up, then I'd use engine degreaser lightly, followed by a couple rinses then the water/SG combo. Putting it back with a little dampness or wetness is fine, just not pools of water. It's not uncommon for one to need a cleaning yearly on some cars.

You might need a catch can in your PCV line.

Also, if you are sputtering in boost, I would absolutely stay out of boost until you fix the problem. Sometimes the temptation is to "keep your foot in it and clear it out". Resist that temptation.

Jim
So am I correct that it is the oil causing this? I just want to know that oil causes this and that it is not something else.
Thanks for the advice though. I will be tearing it apart this week. God I love lining that bumper back up!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

I took the intercooler and all of my piping off tonight. There was not a lot of oil in the bottom of the intercooler. The inside of the pipes had a layer of oil on them and the maf was covered in oil again. Cleaned everything and planning on putting it back together tomorrow night. Is there anything else that I should check for while it is all apart?

Like the post above says, has anyone else experienced this from oil? It would really make me feel better knowing that this is all it is.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Well I am still having the problem and I do not have any oil in my piping. Also, it will do it whether its in boost or not. Bring it up slowly in 1st and she wants to spit and sputter at 4k rpm. Only sometimes will you get a hard jerk when your getting on it in a higher gear.
Anyone??????????????????? Ideas???????????????????????????
Old 04-21-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think the oil is causing it. It may or may not be related.

Have you checked all 8 plugs? I know it's probably a pain but you might have some clues or find a fouled one or two. Any chance of borrowing a buddy's MAF to check with?

Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think the oil is causing it. It may or may not be related.

Have you checked all 8 plugs? I know it's probably a pain but you might have some clues or find a fouled one or two. Any chance of borrowing a buddy's MAF to check with?

Jim

I have not checked the plugs yet but will give it a shot. I can also dig for my stock maf and give that a shot as well. Thanks.
I am still up for anyones opinion on what this may be. The more I get, the better chance to solve this puzzle!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:16 PM
FormerVendor

Get a wideband on there, im willing to bet it is super rich and causing spark loss due to excess fuel (>10:1 AFR)
Old 04-21-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Get a wideband on there, im willing to bet it is super rich and causing spark loss due to excess fuel (>10:1 AFR)
Willing to bet a wideband? I did check the plugs though and by judging fuel mixture the old fashion way it seems to be fine.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot to mention, when I put the piping back together I noticed a couple small tears in the coupler that connects the piping to the turbo. Put it together the best I could but it ended up tearing in half while testing the car. Anyone think this could have been the problem piece?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Which side of the turbo? Any chance of a pic?

Jim
Old 04-22-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

Which side of the turbo? Any chance of a pic?

Jim
It was the outlet on the compressor side. Took some pics but they were not worth posting.

Quick Reply: Sputtering in boost...HELP!!