Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston ring help needed quickly please

Old 04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston ring help needed quickly please

Hey guys, I am putting the rings on my pistons and getting ready to put them in the motor but have a small problem. Ok, my mahle pistons came with 8 spacer rails, labeled 4.00"-4.040" size.. They dont seem to fit at all on the piston, but the oil rings still feel a little loose, like they need thicker rails on them.. Is this normal? Do I need the spacers, or is this fine? Will it tighten up a little when compressed and put into the cylinder?

Thanks guys!
-Lurius
Old 04-18-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your bottom oiler ring has the thinest rings . . . a thin ring then the oiler, then the thin ring again. Two top rings, then the bottom ones.

Keep each ring opening 180 degrees off from each other . . meaning, flip flop the openings for each ring on opposite sides. This is for less oil blow-by.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are thy the support rails for your oil control rings? If your wrist pins protrude into your oil control ring landing ,that what there for, there should be a small groove cut in lower side of the oil control ring landing. My Ross pistons had then. and my rings was called low tenchen ring's your pistons are made this way you haft to use them or you will suck a oil ring between the cylinder walls and pistons.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Are thy the support rails for your oil control rings? If your wrist pins protrude into your oil control ring landing ,that what there for, there should be a small groove cut in lower side of the oil control ring landing. My Ross pistons had then. and my rings was called low tenchen ring's your pistons are made this way you haft to use them or you will suck a oil ring between the cylinder walls and pistons.
Thanks for the reply,. I actually went down to the machien shop and the guy showed me this very same reason. I got it all sorted out and pistons/rods are now installed! =)

Thanks guys!

-Lurius

Search this Thread