Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Carb# California

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb# California

I bought an STS system over a year ago for my 2002 trans am ls1, I was told that they would have a carb # for california in a month or so? well here I am over a year later and still not clear if they have one, very hard to get a hold of someone there any body know the truth?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Launching!

I talked to the western sales rep in sept. and he told me they had a few things that carb wanted changed to the kit (tuning locked using a predator?, PCV not vented to atmosphere, and something else minor). He said that CARB basically wanted them to have a second, CARB approved kit with a seperate part number. I don't know where they are on this, I didn't bother calling backto check on it. Your car is an 02? you won't have to smog for 6 years from first registration date. I just smogged mine a couple of weeks ago. I've known my smog guy for a long time but beforehand he told me to just disconnect the intake piping. I just put the stock airbox back on, and converted the pcv back to stock and just swapped the two hoses. It doesn't matter if you have the turbo hooked up on the exhaust side because it's basically an expensive muffler. I think Blackbird did the same thing with his kit to get it smogged.

I live in a non-enhanced area though, just an idle test and a hold at 2500 rpm in neutral test. If you live in an enhanced area though, you might want to look at either a quick smog-friendly retune, or what I was thinking about doing: buy some old stock injectors (ebay) and a stock calibration pcm (ebay) probably get both for less than 200 that way you could just swap them out and be stock from a fuel/tune standpoint with just a garrett "muffler." hope this helps!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically STS will never make a CARB approved F-body kit. Which is too bad because it's an awesome option for the CA guys. They have been working on the carb number for several years, or at least they say they are. As mentioned though, just disconnect the charge pipe and you will be good to go. Things like injectors they won't be able to fail you for because they won't notice them. Just make sure your tune can pass.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Default I believe I found it

Well after a lot of internet research I believe I found it: (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...aftermkteo.php)
EO#D-593, exempts 1999-2005 GM Trucks with v-8's,2004-2005 GTO w/ v-8's and 1999-2002 Camaro/Firebird with v-8's.

Hard to believe that the sales reps @ squires do not even know about it.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure that was a mistake and it has been corrected. The smog techs will have the most up to date information.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Teching In

I hope not, it is on the Calif Air Resouces board web site.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Launching!

yeah i have seen that too. After smogging, i told my smog guy that I had that printout from the test at UC Irvine and he said that probably would've worked. I think CARB wanted some modifications to the kits before they would be allowed CARB stickers but there is nothing in the printout that differentiates any of the "approved" kits. The only place that says GTO only is STS's site. So...a less inquisitive smog shop might let you pass without taking anything off.

Quick Reply: Carb# California