Sponsored by:

Inline Fuel pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inline Fuel pump issues?

Hi guys,
I'm starting my 69 camaro Ls1 conversion and was wondering if anyone has any problems with their inline fuel pump setup. I don't feel like spending the $1600 for the intank pump and tank so I figured this would be the budget way to do it but I wanna know if its going to be a problem for cruising and trips?

Thanks Tom
Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stone stock, as long as it'll flow what you need at the pressures you need, it should be fine, preferably with a sumped tank.

If you have high volume needs with a modded motor, you are gonna have to step up to what it'll take to do the job. No clue why you think it has to cost 1600 for a tank and intank pump... Pretty sure you can fit a stock LS1 Fbody tank under your rear. Maybe cost you 200 at a junkyard, 600 if you put REALLY nice aftermarket pump in and use braided fuel line.

The only real problem with the inline pumps is they have to work pretty hard... since the have to suck fuel in, pressurize it, and do so without the cooling of being surronded by fuel.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

The cheap route for in-tank pump on a first-gen is to buy a new repro stock tank, then cut out a big square from the top and weld in a new piece to hold an in-tank EFI pump. Great description in the sticky: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=14.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You look into the TanksInc setup to convert your OEM tank (and do as Rodder has stated). I have also seen mid 90's Impala Gas (B-Body) tanks being used in 1st gen Camaro's. A plus is the tank is setup for EFI and has Baffles in it already, a HP pump can just be swapped in. You do have options.

I am using a 95' Impala with a Walbro 255lph pump in my Chevelle, a plus of this setup would be 22+gal in the tank for long cruising and trips, I got my tank for $50.00.

Two most common Con's against the inline pump setup are a) Noise and 2) durablity (so get a good one, a Aeromotive pump, filter and reguator will run you about $500+).

Heat can come into play on these pumps also and reduce the service life of a inline pump. A intake is kept cool by the gas that it is submerged in.

Do a search and see what other 1st gen guys have done.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Modify a stock F-body pump assembly for your car. It is pretty easy and can be done for the right price. If it was good enough for GM it is good enough for me.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using a custom aluminum tank with the Tanks, Inc setup - if you go to their site, go into the View Products section, then click the Fuel Pumps link - I have the PA-4 unit, which is only $225 for the pump, housing and everything. All you need to do is cut a round hole in the top of the tank, adjust the height of the pump housing to fit your tank, and you ahve an internal pump. Wiring is a snap - the kit they sell comes with everything you need (pump, housing, fittings, hardware, etc.). Worst part is finding connectors. I will hafta get all the connector p/n's I used and post them in my build thread this weekend. ...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shifty,
Part numbers are always appreciated, I don't know that I want to drop $1200 on another stainless tank for the next swap.....
Old 04-19-2007, 11:58 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the cheaper/easier solutions I have found is to use a late model LS1 f-body fuel sender/bucket/pump assembly. You have to cut the top of the tank, but the sender is set up to run in a tank with baffels so it is an easy install, and replacement parts are easy to find because its an OEM part. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Shifty,
Part numbers are always appreciated, I don't know that I want to drop $1200 on another stainless tank for the next swap.....
I gave the part number! Part number is PA-4. Check the website, you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't want to post a link, because I don't know if they're an advertiser at the forum (I have no clue how to check)

PA-4 part number is the 255lph pump (upgrade flow). PA-2 should be the 190lph pump (stock flow). I am pretty sure those lph numbers are correct, those and the part numbers are off the top of my head.

Either one will work with our setup.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I'm planning to go with an inline pump in my 240-Z project (with fuel cell). From what I have read (and I am still looking into this), my understanding is the following:

The inline pumps are more noisy and more likely to fail. Failure is typically due to the pump overheating. Ensure that the pump is mounted at or below the level of the bottom of the tank to ensure it is constantly gravity fed with fuel. The fuel passing through the pump will help to cool it. Also, avoiding numerous hard turns in the fuel line will reduce the strain on the pump.

My personal plan right now is to use a Mallory 5110FI pump.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

any one using this inline pump
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=HLY-12-920

Quick Reply: Inline Fuel pump issues?