Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will my amp power both of these subs?

Old 04-19-2007, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will my amp power both of these subs?

I have the sony xmsd61x which is 300 rms @ 4 ohms and 600 rms @ 2 ohms i believe. http://www.boatersworld.com/product/317020295.htm.

I was wondering if it would be enough to power two jl-audio 12-w3 d6's?

It powers 1 just fine. I was wondering if i could get it to run 2 reasonably?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ohm are the JL's? I'm too lazy to look up the specs.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

those subs sound liek they are dual 6 ohms each, so they can either be wired in 6 ohms (series/parallel) or 1.5 ohms (parallel). if you go 6 ohms then you wont get much volume from the subs, if you go 1.5 homs youll overheat your amp (which is easy to do with a sony) and itll shut off or die.

you need an amp thats stable down to 1.5 ohms, or get subs that are dual 2 ohms each, dual 8 ohms each, single 4 ohms each...thats if you MUST have two subs.

you can of course run ONE of those JLs in parallel, and youll get 3 ohms which would also work.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

Ok so i was wondering, if i ran 1 coil in each sub in parallel and then ran the others in series i would get a net resistance of i believe 2.4.... Would this setup work or no? also what if i just put one sub in series and the other in parallel and make a series parallel... Will one sub overpower the other?

Is running at 1.5 absolutely out of the question? Would it really be a bad idea to try it? I want to get it running. Yes i realize it isnt the best match but it is what i got laying around.

Or maybe even just run one coil in each sub in parallel and leave the other ones unwired. So i wil lget 3 ohms.

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 04-20-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running 1.5 isn't out of the question. It really depends on how those JL subs run, ohm ratings aren't always spot on, they can be a little higher or lower, check the actual sub specs. Ohm loading depends upon the frequency you a pushing as well, so your enclosure and crossover settings play a part too.

If it has shutoff protection then I say just try it and see if the amp shuts down. If it has no shutoff protection (which is rare) then you realize you put the amp at risk.

Chances are it'll just run hot and be more likely to shut down during long sessions.

Oh, and one sub in a proper enclosure will do just as good or better than two in a compromised enclosure.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Ok so i was wondering, if i ran 1 coil in each sub in parallel and then ran the others in series i would get a net resistance of i believe 2.4.... Would this setup work or no? also what if i just put one sub in series and the other in parallel and make a series parallel... Will one sub overpower the other?

Is running at 1.5 absolutely out of the question? Would it really be a bad idea to try it? I want to get it running. Yes i realize it isnt the best match but it is what i got laying around.

Or maybe even just run one coil in each sub in parallel and leave the other ones unwired. So i wil lget 3 ohms.
its not as simple as that. you need to make sure that all 4 coils are getting the same power.

series/parallel means that you each subwoofer is in series with itself (you connect the negative of one coil to the positive of the other) and then wire the two subwoofers in parallel with each other (itll be as if they are now singloe voice coil subs).

Originally Posted by todddchi
Running 1.5 isn't out of the question. It really depends on how those JL subs run, ohm ratings aren't always spot on, they can be a little higher or lower, check the actual sub specs. Ohm loading depends upon the frequency you a pushing as well, so your enclosure and crossover settings play a part too.

If it has shutoff protection then I say just try it and see if the amp shuts down. If it has no shutoff protection (which is rare) then you realize you put the amp at risk.

Chances are it'll just run hot and be more likely to shut down during long sessions.

Oh, and one sub in a proper enclosure will do just as good or better than two in a compromised enclosure.
are you forgetting that this is a SONY amp? i would be cautious about trying a claimed 2 ohm load, let alone a claimed 1.5 ohm load.

Search this Thread