Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

off topic....non-US citizens purchase firearms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off topic....non-US citizens purchase firearms?

Just as it says, Ladies and Gentlemen.....Should non-US citizens, such as green card aliens, and others, be allowed to purchase firearms in our country? We've been watching this sad story become more bizarre as each day passed this week. Let it rip. WJ
Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

to hell with them. it might be a constitutional right, but it should only apply to US citizens. if they really want a firearm than they can take the test and become US citizens first... im not gonna say anymore because im gonna insult someone and start a flame war... and i deal with enough bullshit everyday here so i dont need anymore ****
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not until they become citizens. it should be kind of a test of character, if they can keep their record clean until they are legit here in u.s.a. then i'd let them own a gun. i feel that's a good enough test.

you can only do so much to prevent this stuff from happening.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only that, but I think backround checks should be done before allowing anyone a purchase a fire arm. If there is any history of nutty or crime in the past, then they should not be allowed to purchase a firearm.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

You can't buy a gun in RI if you are a non-citizen.

every state is required to do a background check it's the federal Brady law

Also the states attorney general has to approve your permit to carry

Last edited by ace68; 04-19-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Humanitarian

i have to take a nra basic pistol course and there is also a massachusettes course (rolled into one day), have a backround check, get interviewed by the town police chief just to apply or a license to purchase. then when you buy, they run their checks again. it's tough in ma, if you have any record of dui, drugs, any sort of felony, been arrested because of violence, restraining order, warrant, mental illness or any of the other 100 things they can use against you, you cant get a licesne for life.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

In VT it's easy to buy guns and there are no carry laws, anyone can carry concealed... One of the few things I like about this state.

On the topic... No, I think you should have to become a citizen before you can purchase a firearm.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by Nautilus
In VT it's easy to buy guns and there are no carry laws, anyone can carry concealed...
it's like that in n.h. my older brother's buddy tells us he can walk into the store and buy a handgun after a backround check that can take up to 3 days. if you dont want to wait you pay a fee (less than 25.00) and they run an instant check. i'd be broke if i lived up there buying pistols and stuff.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think everyone should be interviewed by the FBI or some ****, and then if they feel you have no mental issues, go to the next step..
Old 04-20-2007, 06:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think anybody can go out and just buy a gun. These laws are friggin pathetic!!!!Most of the people killing other people are from guns that are off the street anyways.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
it's like that in n.h. my older brother's buddy tells us he can walk into the store and buy a handgun after a backround check that can take up to 3 days. if you dont want to wait you pay a fee (less than 25.00) and they run an instant check. i'd be broke if i lived up there buying pistols and stuff.
Yup, I actually buy most of mine in NH... Rifles it's walk in... walk out. Handguns you have to take delivery in your home state, but there is a dealer just across the border that will drive over the VT line so you don't have to wait for it... And there are no laws about mag capacity...etc like in mass.

It's amazing what you can buy when your not in mass, you guys can't buy the fun stuff...
Old 04-20-2007, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Yup, I actually buy most of mine in NH... Rifles it's walk in... walk out. Handguns you have to take delivery in your home state, but there is a dealer just across the border that will drive over the VT line so you don't have to wait for it... And there are no laws about mag capacity...etc like in mass.

It's amazing what you can buy when your not in mass, you guys can't buy the fun stuff...
wholy ****** ****!! can you imagine the dumb shmuck that tries to break into Nautilus' house...
Old 04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Are those guns supposed to all be stored in a gun safe by law, as in Ma.? Or can you just leave them hanging around anywhere in the house in Vt.? N.H.? WJ
Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TNTramair
wholy ****** ****!! can you imagine the dumb shmuck that tries to break into Nautilus' house...
Ummm....yeah, except usually the bad guys break into your place and steal the guns when you're not there.....then go out and do things like what happened this week w/them....
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Are those guns supposed to all be stored in a gun safe by law, as in Ma.? Or can you just leave them hanging around anywhere in the house in Vt.? N.H.? WJ
I have a 500lb gun safe bolted to the floor... It would take a couple guys and some serious power tools a couple hours to get mine out of the house. But no, there is no law in VT saying you have to store your firearms in a safe, for me it's just common sense. On the other hand crime is almost non existant up here... The only thing locked in my house is my gun safe... Within 5 miles of my house I can't remember the last time someone's house was robbed, it's been 3-4 years now and thats with 80-90% of all the doors left unlocked.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Used to be that way around here, too....never used to lock my doors. Not that way, anymore though....Many things, mostly drugs, have changed all that. Tim, I have friends up in the Island Pond, Vt. area w/property that have had plenty of burglary problems. Also, friends that have had their sleds, trailers, trucks, and all their gear stolen while up in northern Vt. on trips... It's no different in your state than anywhere else---you've just been lucky, my friend...WJ

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 04-20-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM
12 Second Club

with 20,000 gun laws on the books it's the enforcement that's wrong. Being able to get your buddy that's a cop to approve your application in Mass is a problem they should all have to go to the state for aproval as in RI.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In addition, I think there should be some kind of check of mental issues, especially if you have been commited, or are on antidepresant medication. The idea of giving someone depressed the ability to buy weapons is not quite right.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
In addition, I think there should be some kind of check of mental issues, especially if you have been commited, or are on antidepresant medication. The idea of giving someone depressed the ability to buy weapons is not quite right.
Exactly. That's where they screwed up bigtime w/this Korean in Va. Once they declared this man mentally un-fit, the paperwork should've gone right to the state police, who handle the gun purchase backround checks. Then the gun dealer wouldn't have sold. Korean became a felon, the minute he ground off those serial #'s w/his dremel tool.Between Va. Tech, the state Dept. of Mental Health, and all of the Police in the state---they all knew this guy was trouble---not like there weren't any complaints about him already. They all dropped the ball. Many asses will be sued, but that's not gonna bring back dead loved-ones. WJ
Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

tim i love the old WW2 era 30 caliber machine gun, ya gotta show me that the next time i come up there

WJ you are completely right about the slip up. they should have red flagged him from the first mental health assessment. the communication slip is big, but it happens all the time everywhere. that is the reason the Army has AAR's (after action reviews) everytime we do pretty much anything, so see how we could make improvements. but u need to remember one thing, that kid would have gotten a weapon anyway. the amount of black market weapons out there is astonishing. if he wanted it bad enough he was gonna get it.