Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning tires?

How the hell do you guys clean your tires? I use Black Magic on them after a wash so they shine but of course dirt sticks to them before the next wash and it builds up. I just washed my car tonight and won't be putting more Black Magic on until tomorrow (I am continuing my detailing tomorrow) and I noticed that when they dried off, they ended up with a disgusting brown, greasy residue on them. The way I have been "cleaning" them is with a relatively stiff brush and wheel cleaner. Obviously this isn't working.

Any tips?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spray some Westley's Bleach White (can pick up @ walmart, autozone ect) then scrub lightly with bristle brush, then rinse...dont let the stuff dry.....make sure you rinse throughly.....this will give a clean slate for you tireshine...i do this before i wash the car....then wash/wax the car...by the time your done, your tires should be completely dry...now apply the tireshine...i like Meguiars Hot Shine in the aerosol can with adjustable spray width.....when spraying tireshine outside, i like to have a piece of paper or cardboard to block spray carried by the wind from getting on the paint...if u can, let your tireshine dry (for the most part) before driving

Last edited by LT1_Hawk; 04-19-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool. I'll probably try that tomorrow before I go to finish my detailing. I've seen that stuff at Wally World before but I thought it was just for white walls.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Launching!

I use Eagle One all wheel/tire cleaner, its the best stuff I've found. And they won't hurt polished aluminum either I tested it on my dd before I done it on the TT2s.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eagle One works pretty good for me and we go tsome dirty roads around here.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
Cool. I'll probably try that tomorrow before I go to finish my detailing. I've seen that stuff at Wally World before but I thought it was just for white walls.

Thanks!

it will get white walls that are near black, bright white...i had whitewalls on my ram, and that is how i discovered this stuff....then i realized, it gave a great clean slate for tireshine....dont be afraid to really lay this stuff on....then scrub and rinse off...watch it as you rinse it off, you will be amazed what comes off your tires...after it dries before u put on the tireshine, it make looks a little dull, but trust me, it really cleans well and tires will look great once shine is applied
Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Launching!

I'll have to try it out as well. I was just using a brush to clean off that stuff on the tire.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh, from reading above, it reminded me of something....if u have polished aluminum wheels, be VERY careful when using this, if you let it "sit and dry" on your polished wheels, it might stain or oxidize them and u will need to re-polish them. it wont be bad or permanent, but u will have to redo your wheels....but if your washing your car anyway, and you do this first like i said, it should be a problem...but like i said if you have polished wheels, dont be too generous with the amount applied to the tires and it might be a good idea to wet your wheels first

should have no effect what so ever on chrome or painted wheels....
Old 04-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Teching In

I use Turtle Wax's product. It remains shiny with no color changing. I wipe any overspray off immediately after application and haven't noticed any adverse effects to my wheels or paint.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when i was talkin about being careful, i was talkin about not letting westleys bleach white dry on your wheels, only for the reason that you will have to clean your wheels again, which if you are hosing down your car, u will probably do anyway, but if it dries, youll have to work a lil harder...the tireshine is great, i only use a piece of cardboard outside to block excess spray to get on paint because i have heard RUMORS that tireshine can slowly eat away at your paint after a very long extended period of time if exposed enough
Old 04-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Yeah I've heard the rumor that tireshine products can effect paint. I'm not going to find out though.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dropped_71chevy
Yeah I've heard the rumor that tireshine products can effect paint. I'm not going to find out though.
thats why i use a cardboard piece to protect from overspray and try to do it atleast an hour before i go anywhere...thats in my truck though...on the hawk, if i spay some, it usually has overnight to dry then once i get to the show just a little touch up...

meguiars hot shine has given me the best results. it is not thick and goopey and last quite a while...it doesnt give it the nasty wet look, it gives it the new tire look
Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 AM
Launching!

I use the foam applicators to spread the tireshine on my tires, don't have to worry about overspray getting on the paint or wheels.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95greenZ
I use the foam applicators to spread the tireshine on my tires, don't have to worry about overspray getting on the paint or wheels.

see, i tried that before and didnt like it, it seemed too goopey and felt i coudlnt control it as well. i guess its all personal preferance...i do however, polish my wheels AFTER i add tireshine...see, i wash them with a rag i use specifically for my wheels when i wash my car...then do all that crap so if there is just a slight bit of overspray on my wheels, when i touch it up with polish after its already clean, it will look perfect
Old 04-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Launching!

hmm, the way I do it is spray a little on the foam pad and start going around usually takes 4 or 5 small sprays to go around a tire. Works great for me like this.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh, i thought u were talkin about using the pad that comes with the can of shine that you dip the pad in...that crap is goopier than ****...i understand what your saying now. idk though, i like my way...i guess, if youve got something mastered, why change?

another reason i like the spray though is i go to a lot of shows with the hawk and once there, ill spray the inner wheel well and lightly mist the tread....
Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Launching!

yea I'm the opposite I polish my wheels first then add the tireshine, lol.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95greenZ
yea I'm the opposite I polish my wheels first then add the tireshine, lol.

ya but yours are polished aluminum...if their dirty, u can really make a mess cleanin them...with me, i get them clean first, and if needed (if i think i might make a mess) polish them, then add tireshine, then lightly and carefully touch up with polish encase i oversprayed on the wheel a little...im a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this sort of stuff though

this past weekend i was in a car show (with my dakota) for fun because i knew ppl that were there. it rained all that weekend then the day of the show cleared up, the show was in a parking garage because they were afraid it might rain again (supposed to be top level of garage) but i showed up with only the interior of my truck clean, and spent 3 hours detailing it during the show...could have spent a lot longer, but i wanted to be able to walk around and enjoy myself...anyway, all my friends (other car enthusiasts) gave me crap for my detailing habits, but you know what...they work and everywhere i go, i win something...

didnt win top truck, but i did win "top choice" and "best interior"...pics are about 2 hours after the show after some driving back to the dorms...truck isnt even waxed in the pics, thats just detail spray....didnt have time to wax...and before u ask, yes those are smoke chrome wheels
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...o/DSC01569.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...o/DSC01567.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...o/DSC01571.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...o/DSC01570.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...o/DSC01568.jpg

off rant, sorry

Last edited by LT1_Hawk; 04-20-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That Bleach White stuff worked wonders... wow! I used that and a tire brush I picked up at the same time. There wasn't any residue left on it either. Thanks!