LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Supercharger guys in here plz...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger guys in here plz...

So I am about to be indoctrinated into the world of Vortec. I have a 135k engine in the car which I will no doubt break, but I have another one on the stand. Question is: if I rebuld the other engine, what should go in it component wise if theis new SC comes with a 12psi pulley?

thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Standard vortech says 9 lbs but is really like 7. If they just change the pulley you will not get 12lbs. I runa race trim vortech which actually has 13lbs. If you are really running 12 lbs you better make sure she is forged and strong.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bandit4
Standard vortech says 9 lbs but is really like 7. If they just change the pulley you will not get 12lbs. I runa race trim vortech which actually has 13lbs. If you are really running 12 lbs you better make sure she is forged and strong.
Numbers not really my game, just looking for fun with it, so 9, 12, who knows. I was wondering if I should lower the CR with pistons or leave the stockers....
Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

you want 8.5 to 9 for forced induction.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
What about stroking it? Should I leave it at stock stroke?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
If you don't know what your talking about then keep your mouth shut

Compression will really depend on boost level and goals.

Since your planning on just doing something and what you end up with is what you end up with (this is the way you make it sound) then bolt on the supercharger. If you never plan on putting a bigger pulley on then 9.5/1 will be pretty safe with the 12# pulley.

What compression to run with F/I can actually be argued.Most will say for big boost lower the compression.. but In the Hot Rod street drags there is a 380CI LT1 with 9.7/1 and and MONSTER turbo and I believe running in the 8's. That quite a bit of compression for running big boost.

My first build on this car will be forged pistons, H-beam rods, splayed mains, good hardware, cam, springs, retainers, and keeping stock crank (and all the stuff that goes with that ****.. balence, line bore.. blah blah). This with my T76 coupled up to it should make high 500 to the wheels on stock heads. I will be lowering the compression a fairly large amount because of the amount of boost that will be pushed.

I would reccomend something similar on your build. Just figure on what amount of boost you plan on running. it sounds like low to mid 9s would be a good compression for you.. .safe and motor wont be a complete dog (plus room to expand).

another thing that we take into consideration is turbo sizing in relation to motor size and rpm. I don't know if this is the case on a centrifugal s/c, but it is one more thing to consider. I would say keep the stock crank and save that money to put elsewhere. If you do a forged crank during the rebuild... you can upgrade to some nice ported heads and make huge power.

But remember, if you going to start a build like this... you still have to figure out good fueling... rear end will be toast if it grabs at all, and tranny will for sure kick the bucket. Stiffening up the car is a must and all supporting mods will add up.

Tell me this... how much you want to spend?

Last edited by Dragframe; 04-20-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragframe
If you don't know what your talking about then keep your mouth shut

Compression will really depend on boost level and goals.

Since your planning on just doing something and what you end up with is what you end up with (this is the way you make it sound) then bolt on the supercharger. If you never plan on putting a bigger pulley on then 9.5/1 will be pretty safe with the 12# pulley.

What compression to run with F/I can actually be argued.Most will say for big boost lower the compression.. but In the Hot Rod street drags there is a 380CI LT1 with 9.7/1 and and MONSTER turbo and I believe running in the 8's. That quite a bit of compression for running big boost.

My first build on this car will be forged pistons, H-beam rods, splayed mains, good hardware, cam, springs, retainers, and keeping stock crank (and all the stuff that goes with that ****.. balence, line bore.. blah blah). This with my T76 coupled up to it should make high 500 to the wheels on stock heads. I will be lowering the compression a fairly large amount because of the amount of boost that will be pushed.

I would reccomend something similar on your build. Just figure on what amount of boost you plan on running. it sounds like low to mid 9s would be a good compression for you.. .safe and motor wont be a complete dog (plus room to expand).

another thing that we take into consideration is turbo sizing in relation to motor size and rpm. I don't know if this is the case on a centrifugal s/c, but it is one more thing to consider. I would say keep the stock crank and save that money to put elsewhere. If you do a forged crank during the rebuild... you can upgrade to some nice ported heads and make huge power.

But remember, if you going to start a build like this... you still have to figure out good fueling... rear end will be toast if it grabs at all, and tranny will for sure kick the bucket. Stiffening up the car is a must and all supporting mods will add up.

This man knows hip hop. I couldn't have said it any better myself
The last line sums it up the best.

"How fast do you want to spend?"
Old 04-20-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dragframe

I'm putting this in my sig....

thanks for the advice. I am gonna try this with the 6# pulley first and then start the rebuild for the other motor. We'll see how long it lasts. In looking for the lower CR pistons I came a across a few super high-dollar deals, but with the small combustion chamber vols on the LT1 heads it's a chore to get the right ones for under a million $$....

I've got no problems buying good parts, but I am an armchair enthusiast, so building a mega thousand dollar motor is not in my realm. I've got other fish to fry nowadays with kids and so forth....
Old 04-21-2007, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth
I'm putting this in my sig....

thanks for the advice. I am gonna try this with the 6# pulley first and then start the rebuild for the other motor. We'll see how long it lasts. In looking for the lower CR pistons I came a across a few super high-dollar deals, but with the small combustion chamber vols on the LT1 heads it's a chore to get the right ones for under a million $$....

I've got no problems buying good parts, but I am an armchair enthusiast, so building a mega thousand dollar motor is not in my realm. I've got other fish to fry nowadays with kids and so forth....
just take the motor you have.... and put pistons in it. I really honestly don't trust the rods but many bring them past their rated level anyways. You could make a fairly impressive numbers with just pistons in the motor.

if you dont wants to do pistons then do heads, but the rods and pistons are still a weak link. And i say valve springs are required.

Now as for everything else, the car will break itself without mods, so with mods you can imagine... but that is jsut something im making sure ur aware of. lol.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lt1s rods are still very good for what they are
Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your in the market for a supercharger kit shoot me a PM. I have one for sale
Old 04-22-2007, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Lt1s rods are still very good for what they are
still equivilent (or lil better) of "pink" rods... which are basicly rated at 400... far as i knew.. but like i said.. a lot of people run them way past rated levels witout failure.

but now we are talkin with boost....
Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 PM
8 Second Club

My complete engine is in the forsale section .such a deal

Quick Reply: Supercharger guys in here plz...