Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Buying an 02 f-body M6 with 60k miles, what kind of maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying an 02 f-body M6 with 60k miles, what kind of maintenance?

I'm buying an 02 Z28 M6 with 60k miles this Sunday and I'm wondering what kind of maintenance I should perform on the t-56. This is my first stick car to ever own.

Should I:
Bleed the hydaulic system?
Bleed the tranny?
Replace the slave?
Replace the master cylinder?
Replace the pilot bearing?
Is this too much or should I do all that and more?
I'm planning on buying a textralia Oz700 clutch too

Should I do this all at one time or is it okay to do all the above except the clutch since I won't be doing that til the end of may. Thanks!
-Chris
Old 04-20-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

all i did when i got my ss was change the trany fluid just to get alll the shavings out and thats all you really have to do unless you know the car has run hard. also test drive it if it shift good and everything feels solid.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Whenever I get a new car (including the SS, which had 60k when I bought it) I replace everything for peace of mind. Coolant flush, power steering flush, (if it needs it) new brakes/brake fluid, rear end (haven't done yet), tranny fluid, etc. Atleast you KNOW its been done by you.

Since your getting a new clutch, (basing this on the knowledge I know on 99's) you should replace your hydraulics (master/slave) with it. I'm not sure if this is any different for '02s, but since its only a 150$ part I'd rather have the peace of mind of not dropping the tranny again. Congratulations on the new ride, pics are REQUIRED.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by renxwar
Whenever I get a new car (including the SS, which had 60k when I bought it) I replace everything for peace of mind. Coolant flush, power steering flush, (if it needs it) new brakes/brake fluid, rear end (haven't done yet), tranny fluid, etc. Atleast you KNOW its been done by you.

Since your getting a new clutch, (basing this on the knowledge I know on 99's) you should replace your hydraulics (master/slave) with it. I'm not sure if this is any different for '02s, but since its only a 150$ part I'd rather have the peace of mind of not dropping the tranny again. Congratulations on the new ride, pics are REQUIRED.

thanks man, there will be PLENTY of pics. I'm planning on changing all the fluids, I just wasn't sure about the tranny since I havn't had a manual before. Do the master and the slave wear out because each one is around $130 so it's not gonna be cheap to change them.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory service recommendations say that the trans fluid never needs to be flushed/replaced. If it's not broken don't fix it. You're just asking to cause problems. Run the stock clutch until it starts to slip. Flush the clutch fluid if it looks ratty, and then leave it alone unless it's not driving right.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

well it will be my first stick so I probably will be drivin it wrong at first. And he said he had the clutch replaced to "some high performance clutch" but he didn't know the brand and he isn't a car guy so I doubt it's actually a good clutch.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
well it will be my first stick so I probably will be drivin it wrong at first. And he said he had the clutch replaced to "some high performance clutch" but he didn't know the brand and he isn't a car guy so I doubt it's actually a good clutch.
A "High Performance Clutch" could be the managers special at Autozone, so I wouldn't expect too much out of it.

Don't ride the clutch and you should be fine.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

An '02 has the ls6 clutch so it should be fine with stock power. Check the fluid in the clutch reservoir. If it is not fairly clear it needs flushed. If it is shifting fine and not making any noise when releasing the pedal in neutral then you should be good to go. I consider the M6 in these cars to be fairly easy to drive.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by renxwar
A "High Performance Clutch" could be the managers special at Autozone, so I wouldn't expect too much out of it.

Don't ride the clutch and you should be fine.
exactly! I pick her up tomorrow, I can't wait! I'm going to Buzzfest today(huge concert here in the woodlands with 17 rock bands including hinder, three days grace......) and I'm kinda just wanting today to already be over. LOL I havn't had my own car since November when a guy ran into me and my WS6

Quick Reply: Buying an 02 f-body M6 with 60k miles, what kind of maintenance?