Sponsored by:

2-3 flare

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-3 flare

Well,

My homebrew trans is flaring on the 2-3 shift. I'm really annoyed as I was supposed to go racing Sunday. Grrrr.

My computer trans pressures are set to max and shift times are set to .15 seconds.

The car has a new servo D-rings (which I inspected again today) and the Transgo shift kit.

I've tried running with a servo spacer in and without (with seemed even worse).

Is there some sort of passage I need to enlarge that feeds the 3-4 clutch piston?

I'm stumped and don't know where to look. I thought I drilled the plate right and everything. What a pain in the ***.

any help is appreciated!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I missed your call today. I hope Chuck pointed you in the right direction. How large is your 3rd gear feed hole?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Don't know what you're changing your trans settings with but if it's hp tuners set the desired shift time for 2-3 to .000, and increase the 2-3 shift modifiers to 15 between 80 and 480 ft lbs. Get rid of TM. This helped my trans when it was stock.
After putting the transgo kit in I had to make the feed holes smaller to get the shift timing correct, it had a bad flare. Ended up with all the holes they have you drill enlarged to only .093.

If you have HP Tuners you can also rule out any mechanical problems by having someone sit in the car with you while you drive and use the laptop to shift it from first to third under moderate power, if it still slips you have internal problems, if it doesn't it's shift timing and can be corrected with different hole sizes in the plate.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

thanks for the ideas guys, I pulled the pan today and drilled the 3rd gear feed to .125. Also, I had initially forgotten to put the check ball for the accumulator that goes into the case in so I put that in.

I put it all back together and it still flares into the revlimiter.

I'm covered in trans fliud now... and bummed out.

Nick
Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

Part of the problem is the second release hole. You need to have to right balance between third feed and second release. Among many other things.
What size converter are you using?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you consider my offer with the servo .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the suggestions and PM's!

I have a few great suggestions that I'm going to try and then I'll report back on what works.

8a8mfh,

The converter is a 4000 stall. My second release hole is .082 I believe, and my third feed is a .125.

Frank @ PBuilt suggested checking/replacing the force motor and some servo stuff next. I'll try to eliminate the easy stuff first.

Phone diagnostics are tough and I appreciate the sponsors taking their time to lend a hand...god knows I need it!

Nick