Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

motor mounts ... do them now (22k mi) with exhaust? or do them later with K-Member?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor mounts ... do them now (22k mi) with exhaust? or do them later with K-Member?

I'm doing my headers this week or next, whenever i get the most time off from work... should I attempt to do the poly mounts then? (Will most likely hit the tranny and torque arm mounts at that time) or should I wait until I purchase the UMI K-Member and Upper/Lower arms? There's technically nothing wrong with them from what I can tell, but throughout the year I'm planning on suspension and replacing the majority of my bushings and mounts (01 with 22k miles and unproperly cared for rubber ) but most of the suspension parts I'll be using come with new bushings (thankfully) so I'm not too worried about those.

in others' experience, what was the best method to do the motor mounts?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did my motor mounts (Stock Replacements) when we did the BMR k frame and BMR uppr and lower arms
Old 04-21-2007, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I wish when I put my kooks on I did the poly. Had a horrible banging issue. Its easier to get at the mounts with the headers out. Depends on how long your going to wait until you do the k-member. I just had my poly's put in and what a relief.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZodiacZ28
I wish when I put my kooks on I did the poly. Had a horrible banging issue. Its easier to get at the mounts with the headers out. Depends on how long your going to wait until you do the k-member. I just had my poly's put in and what a relief.
maybe 6 months?

might be doing heads/cam about the same time though
Old 04-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Launching!

guys would you buy after market motor mounts or stock ones? i will also replaca them but cant decide which one to buy?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket for sure. At least the Energy Suspension poly ones. I've got those, and I'm probably going to end up switching to Spohn's solid mounts.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

i just did mine today when i did my umi k member it is way eaiser with the k member
i did the prothane ones from thunder racing.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Banned

hey guys, a question for you with K-members did you have to remove the motor to install ?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

no just support the motor
Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

For me I drove my car for about 6 months without them and it was horrible. For me I wish I did them when I did my headers. Demon I would say its up to you, but if it was me I would do them..
Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Did you guys notice anymore vibrations going to the poly mounts? I did the trans poly mount last week. I think my car runs rough about 2500, I can't tell if the mount made it worse or not. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

i didnt notice any more vibrations. i just did the motor. didnt touch the trans
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Do the drivers side motor mount (at least) when adding headers.

After I installed the full exhaust, I was plagued with banging issues. If I tweaked the exhaust where it wouldn't bang, I would have very serious scraping and dragging issues (lowered car). Like you I heard about the infamous vibration issue directly associated with poly motormounts, this kept me from doing it earlier.

Recently, I blew my transmission. While I was waiting on the builder to finish up with it, and the car was up on jackstands... I said screw it and took the plunge. I loosened the steering linkage, pulled the header out and done the motor mount swap. It only took a few hours and isn't bad at all if you already have the headers off. I think the hardest part is getting the bolts to line up, but it was nowhere the nightmare that I heard it was.

Now that I have the car back on the road, I have to say I couldnt be more satisfied with the poly motormounts. Very little vibration (if at all) can be detected. The banging issue is completely gone. I SO wish I had of done this a few years ago. Do it!!! Fix it right the first time and be done with it!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would do both mounts when you swap the headers. You will have clear access to the motor mounts at that point in time and it will make driving with the headers that much better since you won't have the motor rocking, causing banging issues.

If you were swapping the k-member first and the headers second, I'd still say to do the motor mounts first since the stock mounts allow way to much flex for the amount of torque these motors produce.

If you like the look of the motor shaking back and forth, leave the stock ones in, but if you prefer the motor to be smooth, with little to no shake, replace the motor mounts ASAP.