Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 LS1 Camaro - Budget - How too

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 69 LS1 Camaro - Budget - How too

We wrapped up our 69 Camaro LS1 project in mid 05 and have enjoyed the heck out of it. She blows ice cold a/c, runs 12.5 in the quarter, and gets mid 20s on the highway. You can't beat it. However, I did things VERY different than the average Joe...so if you like here is a break down.

Specs - 2000 LS1 and 4L60E trans
Brewers motor and trans mount - no drive shaft cut needed.
Stock F body accessories - work great and are very reliable (cheap too)
2000 Z28 Pace Setter non-emission headers (three pipes modified on the driver side)
TCI stall
Bowtie overdrive four speed shifter and console plate

I picked up the block for $400 with a spun main. A $160 crank kit, new rings, gaskets and seals...she was ready to go back together. A roll master chain, then all topped off with a Stage III SLP head/cam package - 36# injectors - LS6 intake - stock throttle body. The head/cam was not a budget item..but I couldnt resist.

Trans was $100 from a trans shop with a blown reverse. I rebuild kit and a few hours later and she was rocking and rolling - with a Transgo Kit added later. Under $400 in the trans.
I had the sub frame out of the car and took measurements of the a/c compressor and performed a simple notch to clear the a/c.

Fuel lines and tank came from a 96 Caprice (22 gal capacity). After a bit of work, it slipped right in and connected on a set of 97-98 Vette rails. This was a direct snap to fit with no cheesy adapters.

Ran a 98 PCM with a mail order tune from a non-site sponsor ($75).

Cooling fans came from a later model Malibu for free, as they were in a collision and the edge of the plastic was broken. Body shop was throwing it out.

Radiator is a Griffin knock off aluminum for $120.

Things I spent big bucks on:
Stall converter
head/cam package
Steeroid rack & Pinion

I am a freak about a clean firewall and engine bay. I spent extra time hiding the windshield wiper by using a VW rabbit unit, and building my own concealed 90 degree hidden brake master cylinder. A/C lines are totally hidden and even run through the frame rail. The wire harness comes out of the trans hump and feeds the engine. I shaved off the output zone of the steering column and reduced that to only the shaft coming out (used a 81 Vette tilt/tele column).

Things I saved big bucks on:
Accessories
cooling fan/radiator
fuel system
deep discount on a spun bearing long block and trans rebuild and modified for the cost of a used LS1 with miles on it.
headers (200 plus a simple mod, then black ceramic coating)

I also did a ton of trading and swapping along the way.

I couldn't have done it without some tips and tricks from guys at LS1tech.

Thanks guys!

Build page:

BTW - I am going to change the brakes soon and install a hydroboost. It will kill the freaky clean look, but will stop like a rockship in reverse mated to the huge 13/12" brakes on the car.

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/69_...urrection.html

Old 04-21-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks amazing you did a really good job on it. very clean car.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The Caprice tank is interesting, how did you know it would fit? Could that diagonal bar be removed for better cosmetics? 22 gallons is a bonus for Power Tour.

Nice work!

Tony
Old 04-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Teching In

I wonder if the Caprice tank works in a 2nd gen.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2nd gen

Originally Posted by Mizzouri
I wonder if the Caprice tank works in a 2nd gen.
I wonder that too. 22 gallons is a plus, the 16 gallon in mine is ok, but bigger is better.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Just a terrific job. Wish I could point to one of my cars and say "I did all of that" like you can. And a very creative combination of parts and mods to achieve your goal for low bucks.

What is the color? My '69 project car started life as Garnett Red, a color I kind of like, but it's just a bit lacking in brightness and "pop". Your color seems about perfect ...
Old 04-21-2007, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Your craftsmanship is second to none, awesome job!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Beautiful car man! Mind posting up the total costs etc?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Your car has been one of my sources of inspiration when I did my LS1 swap. I am not completely done yet but soon...

Great looking car and a nice project. Good to see a budget Pro Touring car once in a while.

Jan
Old 04-21-2007, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Nice swap the car looks outstanding. Love the engine pic too.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Launching!

I took a guess on the tank. I had a 96 caprice cop car for parts and realized the fuel filler sticks out the same spot as the Camaro. I cut the floor from the caprice and made a removable door to access the pump so the tank wouldn't have to be dropped. The black additional brace could be removed - but I feel safer with it there making sure the tank is not going to get into the diff. That is actually part of the stock Camaro tank strap I re-used in conjunction with the caprice straps. Oh...I think if they were all painted satin black, you wouldn't notice. You can also put tire-shine on the tank - since it is plastic and make it glow down there. You can't minitub the car with this mod however unless you run coil overs. I was able to drop a Walbro 255 pump straight in the stock Caprice mount.

I've walked a few other guys through it. It is by no means a "bolt in" - but if you like a challenge and the trick results...why spend $1K on a custom tank?

We drove the car to Goodguys in columbus Ohio and could run just over 400 miles between stops - not getting in the throttle.

The color is actually 1986 Renault Alliance (remember those little cars?) Med - mica red. The stripes are Cadillac black cherry with gold accent. It has a pearl accent without the expense or hassle of real pearl.

Total cost to put the LS1 in and get it running (not paint/body -etc) was right around $4K - with a fully rebuild (less the same pistons) motor.

The car also has cruise control which is hidden on the column under the dash and uses a stock GM column switch. That helps on the MPG. I also wired the wipers into the column and used the spot on the dash to mount the fuel pressure sensor.

By the way, I believe a pre plastic Caprice tank would work too, and might be easy to modify...etc. because you can weld -etc. Like a 1987-1990, as you can use the fuel pump assembly and sending unit.

We did a few other things like pull the power windows from the caprice with auto express down, keyless, etc. etc. etc.

My 3 year old loves to ride in the car...and it is already willed to him.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:03 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow nice car. Turned out very clean too. When I did my swap I tried to use as many GM parts as possible to make it look factory and be inexpensive but my car didn`t turn out nearly as clean.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Launching!

BTW - I found you you DON'T have to connect the bleeder tube that runs off the heads through the throttle body back into the cooling system. I didn't believe it myself until I talked to a guy with a LS1 in a 68 Camaro that had over 5,000 miles on the install. They had capped his off.

What I did, was run the line up as if it was going into the throttle body - but, I blocked it off. However, when I filled the radiator, I opened the line and filled until coolant was steady running out of the line. This confirmed to me that all the air was out of the motor.

I have had zero coolant issues, have over 5,000 miles on it, and no hassles at all. I see a lot of guys really struggle with trying to weld a nipple in the radiator, or put a fitting in the line...or water pump. Maybe I can save the next conversion guy some time.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

If you're going to plug the front steam line, you'll probably at least want to run a cooler thermostat and also drop the fan temps as well. Steam pockets are bad... Has any done any dyno testing to determine what effect plugging the front steam line has? I couldn't find any on a Google search. My guess would be that it's OK for mild street and drag strip use, but you'd start getting steam pockets with a minute or two of WOT.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Sweet ride... excellent work.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Teching In

great job and the way you put it together to gotta love it
Old 04-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

The caprice tank does fit in a 2nd gen. I am just sorting out the installation of mine.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice job and beautiful car hard to believe it's a budget build.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Wow Great Build Indeed, Very Sharp Looking Car.....wanna Trade For 99 Ss
Old 04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Your car is awesome. Mid 20s on the highway is great. Better than my 93 century.

Quick Reply: 69 LS1 Camaro - Budget - How too