Blue Angel crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Angel crash

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/21/blu...ash/index.html

Man that sucks.

I'm gonna catch hell from the Air Force guys at work on monday.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I just read that. Thats terrible. My prayers go out to the pilot and his family.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. Hate to see this stuff.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:04 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by LT Malice
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/21/blu...ash/index.html

Man that sucks.

I'm gonna catch hell from the Air Force guys at work on monday.

Then the AF guys need a kick in the nuts.

Nothing funny about or worth giving crap to a member of another branch when someone dies and to make it worse his family was watching.

Really sad to hear. Those guys HUG THE DECK! Im a AF brat and will say the T-birds will never get at low as the blues.

Go to an airshow when the blues are there and there is no FAA watching. They have been known to hug the deck and pop up over parked semies.....
They put on a killer show but sometimes at a cost. RIP sir.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea that was a terrible thing to hear I just saw them last weekend in corpus they put on an amazing show as always my prayers go out to him and his family.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Launching!

The Navy is being really tight lipped right now. I really want to know whats behind this crash. THings like this don't just "happen".

Those pilots are really good, but the mechanics are even better. Each one of them is the best of thier field. They wouldn't let a bird go up unless it was perfect.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

That is really sad news.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

My prayers go to his family and friends! I had a uncle that was Navy.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:01 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by LT Malice
The Navy is being really tight lipped right now. I really want to know whats behind this crash. THings like this don't just "happen".

Those pilots are really good, but the mechanics are even better. Each one of them is the best of thier field. They wouldn't let a bird go up unless it was perfect.

Sometimes they do just happen. Could even be pilot error. Even if a bird got sucked in it would still fly. Something in one of the engines could have let loose taking out the other. Catostrophic (sp?) hydraulic failure?

I know there has been planes that had engines go so BAD that it took out ALL the hydraulics. He was near trees, could have taken in a bird or something, engine goes, has bad luck and the flying parts knock out the hydraulic and back ups (has happend and in civilian aircraft) and with as low as those guys fly he would have had no time to react or get out.

My father has been a crew chief for 27 years. NEVER lost a plane untill a few years ago. His jet and another were in a dog fight and cliped each other, both pilots got out buy my dads pilots chute did not deploy.
Sometimes thing sjust happen and when you are like 50 feet off the ground most of the time you don't know it. One second you are here, the next you are not.

I know a wile back they lost all the Blues when the lead did not pull out of a dive when he was supposed to pull out at the last second and all of them crashed into the ground killing all the pilots.

Sometimes things just happen. Its very sad but thats life As a pilot before you strap in you have to know that sometimes that just the way it is.
You can be the best pilot in the world and have the best crew Chiefs/Plane Captians in the world, be flying around at 20 feet off the deck at say 200+ knots and if something happens you will never have time to react or realize what happend.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Sad to hear the news . Love watching the Blue Angels here in Chicago.
Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Thinking of what could of happened............
Watched the video on CNN of her going down. This was the pilots first show and should be taken into account. Noticed from the video the two free flying F-18's. One of them being the one that crashed. Were just rejoining the group.
The one had a pretty easy meeting of the group. The one that crashed was almost doing a U turn to rejoined. Being they were hugging the ground. Looks like he made the turn but either passed out at to many G's or didnt have time to recover the plane after making that sharp turn. They Blue Angels dont wear G suits. They train themselves to tighten there adominals to counter the blood rushing out of there head. Theres alot of things that could of happen. Just my thoughts of what might of happened. God Bless him and his family
Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 AM
JUICED96Z

Just watched the vid. I would not rule out bird injestion(s)

BUT it did look like the one that crashed was WAY behined. I have seen them quite a few times and have never seen one that far behined. He may have been pulling max G to get back with the group and then seomething happend.

They don't wear G suits because the stick is between their legs, if a g-suit inflates when they were in a tight formation g pulling turn it would be bad news. Suit could make the pilots arm and the stick move.

On the Thunderbirds the stick is on the right side so it does not matter.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
NKAWTG...N

RIP.

I've heard they are banking on FOD ingestion (IE: bird) but I've only heard that from civilian sources. No news yet from the military. Not familiar with the GE F404-GE-402 turbofans so who knows, I've seen video an at-38 take a bird down the left intake and the pilots ditched. Can't imagine it happening in a 7+ g turn at 100ft agl.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:52 AM
JUICED96Z

The jet will still fly on one engine.

The problem is when its a high G turn and the angle that he was at BUT I still think he could have saved it.

I bet it will be an injestion so bad that it took out both engines do to engine parts sperating. Instant power loss, instant stall.

Want to take a wild guess at what happens with a turbine blade section lets go? That would have taken both out instantly. Again isntant power loss, if it was bad enough I am sure it took out some hydraulics.

I saw pictures of one that let loose on a full throttle ground run on a 757 I think it was. Turbine section came loose, made a HUGE DEEP cut in the side of the jet, hit the ground, loged inself into the other engine on the other wing (went from the number 2 engine to the number 1). It went halfway into it just before the compressor blades and sent metal into the number 1 engine trashing it. All happend instantly. Also took out part of th eengine mount and some other stuff.

That happend once on a 727 I think but instead of taking out the other engine it took out all the hydraulics and the plane went down. Since then they moved most of the lines and put in more back up systems. Still could happen though. Happend so fast that by the time the pilot realized what had happend all the hydraulic fluid was pumped out of the plane.

Ill stick with massive bird that took out the one engine and that took out the other of MASSIVE engine seperation taking out the other engine and I am sure flight controls/hydraulics MAYBE. Either way loosing both engines at that kind of angle altitude and G would give you that result I think. I do not think loosing just one would do it.

Any other mechanics want to take a stab at it?

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-23-2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:46 AM
11 Second Truck Club

i heard about it tonight at work. i'm sure we'll have a safety standown soon.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Default The truth

The truth is, WE DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, and unless something official is released, we never will, any "mechanic" who thinks they can "take a stab at it" and have a ice cubes chance in hell of figuring out what happened is insane.

It happened, it sucks, out of respect for the deceased, i woudnt even think to attempt any kind of speculation.

My prayers to his family and all those that witnessed it

AT1
US NAVY
Old 04-24-2007, 04:14 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by eurospec1
The truth is, WE DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, and unless something official is released, we never will, any "mechanic" who thinks they can "take a stab at it" and have a ice cubes chance in hell of figuring out what happened is insane.

It happened, it sucks, out of respect for the deceased, i woudnt even think to attempt any kind of speculation.

My prayers to his family and all those that witnessed it

AT1
US NAVY
Don't be affraid to tell us how you really feel LOL.

TRUST ME! I am one of the few that you don't want to argue with on here about crash investigation and aircraft crash scences!

Lets just say I have a background.

I AM a real aircraft mechanic if you are hinting or insinuating at anything by the "mechanic".

Upmost respect for the pilot and his family. RIP Sir.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Don't be affraid to tell us how you really feel LOL.

TRUST ME! I am one of the few that you don't want to argue with on here about crash investigation and aircraft crash scences!

Lets just say I have a background.

I AM a real aircraft mechanic if you are hinting or insinuating at anything by the "mechanic".

Upmost respect for the pilot and his family. RIP Sir.

dont really care, i as well am a real aircraft mechanic, 10 years of it in the Navy, and yes i have crash investigation experience as well, and im smart enough to know that you arent gonna figure out what happened by watching some news reports, unless they spell it out for us. IF you really have crash investigation experience, you would know the first rule is DO NOT SPECULATE, AND DO NOT SPREAD RUMORS.

i apologize, but trying to make yourself sound smart by spitting out information that you know knothing about on the internet, when in reality someone died, well it gets on my nerves!

/rant off
Old 04-24-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by eurospec1
dont really care, i as well am a real aircraft mechanic, 10 years of it in the Navy, and yes i have crash investigation experience as well, and im smart enough to know that you arent gonna figure out what happened by watching some news reports, unless they spell it out for us. IF you really have crash investigation experience, you would know the first rule is DO NOT SPECULATE, AND DO NOT SPREAD RUMORS.

i apologize, but trying to make yourself sound smart by spitting out information that you know knothing about on the internet, when in reality someone died, well it gets on my nerves!

/rant off
so... a real aircraft mechanic eh!
so do you turn wrenches or r/r boxes
sry i had to, lol...
Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
JUICED96Z

Who said I was speculating? I was using proven facts on what CAN be the cause when at aircraft goes down like that all the sudden.

When a prop driven aircraft goes down and the props are all bent that tells you the engines were turning when the aircraft went down. NOT speculation, FACT.

When an aircraft goes down all the sudden like that and the pilot does not have time to get out A LOT OF TIMES its either, sudden pass out, full engine loss, full hydraulic loss. YES there are other reasons but those are the big ones. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS AND EVERYNE KNOWS THAT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THE REAL REASON UNTILL THEY RELEASE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah real mechanic? You see last night when i got off my 10.6 hour shift from working on a 737-300 I was going to point out how you are a BOX CHANGER!!!!!!!!! but I did not want to sink to your level.

Signed
-A REAL mechanic that turns wrenches, not an avionics box changer, sometimes box fixer...
If you excuse me I have to go spend another 10+ hours turning wrenches on 737's.
Have a nice day
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

If I was still stationed in Beaufort I would have responded to that........ARFF. Sad news.

Quick Reply: Blue Angel crash