Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Hot Cam?

anyone have the LS1 hot cam? and if so do you have any other mods and how do ya like it?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

TTT btw before someone says "search is your friend" if the search option worked right now i'd use it
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my hotcam i put down 378rwhp with longtubes, ls6 intake, stock 243 heads and tune. This was done on an m6. I will be swapping the cam for the ASA soon. if you interested in buying the hotcam including ls6 springs let me know.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

where did you buy the hot cam? i've looked at lmperformance.com, thunderracing.com, SDPC and F-Body Motorsports and neither one have the same items included in the kit. i thought if GMPP would sell the LS1 Hot Cam Kit, they'd sell the same kit to alot of different companies. is the differences in kits what ever the companies choose to include?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vidal77boxing
With my hotcam i put down 378rwhp with longtubes, ls6 intake, stock 243 heads and tune. This was done on an m6. I will be swapping the cam for the ASA soon. if you interested in buying the hotcam including ls6 springs let me know.
btw did you get a new timing chain, oil pump and belt accesories also?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Far better cams out there for the time and money you will spend on this. And yes, I did have a hotcammed 99 SS for awhile before switching to a better cam.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Far better cams out there for the time and money you will spend on this. And yes, I did have a hotcammed 99 SS for awhile before switching to a better cam.
i know they're are, but a better cam that produces more power will require far more that i want to put into THIS LS1

your SS isn't on the road yet? why? bigger cam? new heads? with this cam i can stay mostly stock without puttin too much money into my LS1 in the car
Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I put down 387rwhp/385rwtq with the hotcam, stock 243's, full exhaust through a hooker muffler. I like it for now. Might go with a custom grind later on, but I do love the torque this thing put down.....
Old 04-22-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nothing
i know they're are, but a better cam that produces more power will require far more that i want to put into THIS LS1
How do you figure? Changing cams requires the same amount of work regardless of what cam you go with, unless you get one large enough that requires flycutting. You still need to change the springs, you still want to change the pushrods, you still should change the chain and pump, you still need to get it tuned, you still need headers... etc.

Originally Posted by King Nothing
your SS isn't on the road yet? why? bigger cam? new heads? with this cam i can stay mostly stock without puttin too much money into my LS1 in the car
I have no idea where my SS is, I sold it 2 years ago I have a Corvette now, that I went crazy on last year, blew the engine early this spring, and now I'm building a stroker for it. With this cam you CAN'T stay mostly stock, you will need the things I mentioned above. Even when its tuned it won't drive like stock, nor will it sound anywhere close to stock. The hotcam is a funny one too, it's bark is WAY worse than its bite. It also pushes your powerband up. I see you have an automatic, so you will probably want a higher stall converter, and taller gears.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Mike94ZLT1]How do you figure? Changing cams requires the same amount of work regardless of what cam you go with, unless you get one large enough that requires flycutting. You still need to change the springs, you still want to change the pushrods, you still should change the chain and pump, you still need to get it tuned, you still need headers... etc.

QUOTE]
I think hes just refering to the fact you can get the hotcam cheaper than with other cam kits. I've been looking for cam kits and it looks like you can save at least 100 bucks going this route.
When I was searching for the ASA I found I could get the cam, springs, gaskets, and chain for just under 500. All the other places I looked at seemed to total 600 or more. There is also less to invest in the future since he can just use LS6 spriongs and then just forget about changing springs again or wait a very long time.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkbird
I put down 387rwhp/385rwtq with the hotcam, stock 243's, full exhaust through a hooker muffler. I like it for now. Might go with a custom grind later on, but I do love the torque this thing put down.....
very impressive numbers, i've seen the ASA numbers right around there or just a little better, and that cam is much bigger.
For the drivability of the two cams, the hotcam might be more suited for a DD--makes me want to look into getting this one instead of the ASA.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah but why not spend the extra $100 and get a better cam? If $100 is going to break the bank, than perhaps modding your car might not be the smartest idea. If he gets a good spring like a PRC dual and doesn't go crazy with the cam, and gets something like a TR224 or a TR 230 I think he would be happier all around. Supposedly the PRC duals are good for 40K miles?

Also, is this the same D James from CamaroZ28.com that lives by me (Livonia, MI) that I've tried to contact from time to time and doesn't return PM's?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

The main reason I am leaning towards the ASA is for the .525 lift it presents. This goes extremley easy on and engine like man with 100k+ miles bottom and top end like mine. It will still present the power I want to. I totally know that the Tr224 has more capability than the ASA but the lift is what attracts me. Basically for me it isn't a price attraction, its a compatibilty attraction.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Big lift cams have absolutely nothing to do with how hard they are on an engine. They are hard on the valvetrain, and you are replacing that when you do a cam. Granted the lifters are staying, unless you pull the heads to change them, but something like the TR224 is FAR from an aggressive cam and would have no detrimental effect whatsoever on engine life that a hotcam wouldnt. You are talking an additional .038" of lift going from the Hotcam or the ASA to the TR224.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks you for the valvetrain term and that is soley what I meant. I just read what I wrote and totally was looking for valvetrain as my word. I slightly beg to differ as far as them effecting some aspects of the motor...I believe most cams would be spun much higher to take advantage of them and the 224 would have to be for sure spun higher than say the ASA or hotcam. This would put added stress on the rod bolts which I understand arent all that great on my 98. Please correct me but this is just what I understood...OH and whats up with you FRC? Im curious...
Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by connexion2005
Thanks you for the valvetrain term and that is soley what I meant. I just read what I wrote and totally was looking for valvetrain as my word. I slightly beg to differ as far as them effecting some aspects of the motor...I believe most cams would be spun much higher to take advantage of them and the 224 would have to be for sure spun higher than say the ASA or hotcam. This would put added stress on the rod bolts which I understand arent all that great on my 98. Please correct me but this is just what I understood...OH and whats up with you FRC? Im curious...

Not really, the TR224 would actually have a better torque curve than the hotcam would, giving you more usable power in the lower rpm range. As long as you stay under 6700-6800 RPM (which is well out of the power band for any of the cams we've talked about) I wouldn't give the rod bolts a second thought. I had my rev limiter set at 6600 with the hotcam, it peaked at 6200. The thing is, I've owned a hotcammed car for a long time, and I would NEVER do it over again. Plenty of people have had great results with no impact on reliability with other small cams, and I've had the pleasure of driving some of these cars and they were 10x better than my car was. The ONLY thing I really liked/still like about the hotcam was it's nasty idle, the thing sounded HUGE!

My FRC.. I'm hoping to have it back on the road in the next 2 to 3 weeks, I have a stroker slowly making its way up from Texas.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Not really, the TR224 would actually have a better torque curve than the hotcam would, giving you more usable power in the lower rpm range. As long as you stay under 6700-6800 RPM (which is well out of the power band for any of the cams we've talked about) I wouldn't give the rod bolts a second thought. I had my rev limiter set at 6600 with the hotcam, it peaked at 6200. The thing is, I've owned a hotcammed car for a long time, and I would NEVER do it over again. Plenty of people have had great results with no impact on reliability with other small cams, and I've had the pleasure of driving some of these cars and they were 10x better than my car was. The ONLY thing I really liked/still like about the hotcam was it's nasty idle, the thing sounded HUGE!

My FRC.. I'm hoping to have it back on the road in the next 2 to 3 weeks, I have a stroker slowly making its way up from Texas.
I agree completely. Like mentioned above, none of the cams are going to make any power over 6200rpms. Yes, the rod-bolts are weaker in the earlier year ls1's, but theres absolutely no need to rev that high when your not making any power. I DD my Tr230/224, and I havnt regreted it one bit, I love the torque it makes. As mentioned above, dont be afraid to go a little higher with the lift, your not going to hurt anything as long as you have the supporting valvetrain mods.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Veteran

it's gonna be my DD and i can keep my stock heads with it, thats what i was referring to spending alot on
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

where did you buy the hot cam? i've looked at lmperformance.com, thunderracing.com, SDPC and F-Body Motorsports and neither one have the same items included in the kit. i thought if GMPP would sell the LS1 Hot Cam Kit, they'd sell the same kit to alot of different companies. is the differences in kits what ever the companies choose to include?

You can buy the kit at thunder racing. If you are still interested in the cam, i will have the hotcam kit minus the pushrods for sale. Im asking for 250.00 for the kit, im planning to put the ASA cam in my car.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

btw did you get a new timing chain, oil pump and belt accesories also?

Yes, i got a double roller timing chain and oil pump. U dont need to buy the double roller since i've heard the ls2 timing chain is strong and priced well . Since you drive a A4 you will need to get a tune.