Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blue/white wire (External Amplifier Control Power Lead)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blue/white wire (External Amplifier Control Power Lead)

I just got my new head unit in the mail yesterday so today I began crimping together the "1988-up General Motors "mini" car stereo connector" with the wiring harness for the panasonic HU and I get to the end and realize I dont have the blue/white wire which is described as being the "External Amplifier Control Power Lead."

That particular wire IS present on the panasonic wiring, but not on the GM wiring harness to which I am connecting it. It's just... not there, yet it is described on the back of the GM wiring package as "Remote Turn on (12v+).

What exactly this does I'm not sure, but it's just NOT on the wiring connector for the GM wiring harness so do I need it or what? I'd rather not re-wire this entire thing since it took a good hour to do and... well any input at all is appreciate.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the wire that you connect to your aftermarket amp/amps that basicly turns them on. If you dont have any aftermarket amps, then you dont need to worry about that wire.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Launching!

I doubt I'll ever install one so great, i'm glad.

However, why would my connector simply NOT have this?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Because think about it...your stock harness from GM doesnt know if you have an aftermarket amp/amps in the car. Where would the wire run to? The way its usually done is you run a blue "turn on" wire from your amp directly to the back of the aftermarket deck and tap into the blue/white wire. Then every time you turn your stereo on, its sends a signal to the amp and turns it on. This way the amp turns off every time you turn off your stereo. You wouldnt want the amp to stay on all the time and drain the ol' bateria.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Right, but what i'm saying is the packaging the harness came in listed that wire on there but it's not on the actual harness. It says that the blue/white wire is for the amp, yet that wire isnt on the product contained within the package.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see what your saying now, I re read your original post. And thats a very good question, but as I always say....**** it
Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is no remote turn-on wire in the f-body Monsoon system because the amp determines when an audio signal is present on the input wires and uses that to turn on.

If check in the Monsoon FAQ for the pinouts of the factory head unit, you'll notice that there are several pins that are marked "not used". The adapter harness you installed is designed to fit 88-up GM stereos in all models. Not all models have the same options or the same stereo wiring so not all pin positions will be used yet the adapter harness has to provide for all of them. Any wires that aren't present in your car can be safely ignored - they would have been there in some other model of GM car.

Quick Reply: Blue/white wire (External Amplifier Control Power Lead)