Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>NEWBIE on here, HELP LS question<

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question >NEWBIE on here, HELP LS question<

Hi,

I am new to this forum AND also to muscle cars... (I've been playing with BMW for the last couple of years) that being said I want to know how to tell between a regular 454 and an LS5 or LS6 the original 454 that Chevelles' came with. I have one that has everything original except engine and tranny ... SO I am looking for an engine to put in my ride. 1) would it be worth buying an LS5/6 and putting it on the ride even though it wont be matching numbers? AND how could I tell IF its a REAL LS engine... Are there any numbers I need to look out for, I've seen some with 396..... 2) Would it be the same IF I just purchase a non LS 454 and rebuilt that and slap that on. SORRY IF this a STUPID question... then again that IS why I'm here so I could learn FROM people that know their CHEVYs

Thanks in advance and go on and eat me up if it is a stupid question
Old 04-23-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to LS1tech! but yea, wrong form. Read the forum guidelines before posting, and you'll have much better luck.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, yeah completely wrong forum. LS1tech is not what you need. Try and find a Chevelle forum on the net. This forum deals with the LS style engines 1997-present!!

Good luck, and by the way, I love those cars!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a reason you want to buy a non-matching LS-6? You could spend a ton less cash reworking the 454 that is in it to perform better than the factory ever intended. For modest money, build up a 468 from you 454, and buy some decent heads, cam and intake. Unless you luck into a CE block, you are not adding value with the non-matching numbers. Since the car can never be original, spend your money on what you want, not on what an investor may want in the future. You have a free hand with the car. By the by, what year? Also, the LS5 and LS6 454 designators refer to a package, not a block.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

You should ask here. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/ It is by far the best place on the web for Chevelle or Big block Chevy questions.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends on what you want.. do you want a numbers matching Chevelle LS5/6 or a clone that might have some other non correct numbers ? do you have a Chevelle with the correct Tags for a LS5/6 ?

Just looking at them, you will not be able to tell the different, You will need to check the block casting numbers and other numbers on the block and heads.

Yes, Team Chevelle forum is a good one... as many of the other for finding matching number information. You should be able to find Decode and VIN numbers as well as casting numbers/codes.

But again.. Search is your best friend (yahoo or google), many hits will just link you to the forums also.

www.mortec.com/bbc.htm has casting numbers..

Quick Reply: >NEWBIE on here, HELP LS question<