Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Stealth II Cam, .020 Decked LS6 Head = Detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MTI Stealth II Cam, .020 Decked LS6 Head = Detonation?

OK, before I start, I know I need to get the car tuned. That being said, does it make sense that I will have low RPM/High load detonation? For example, starting off from a dead stop and part-throttle, quick clutch release? The temperature was in the 80's this weekend and the car just sounded terrible. I have MTI's Stealth II cam, LS6 heads that have been decked .020.

Is detonation what I'm hearing? Will the tune correct this? Will I lose power in the lower rpm ranges?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my sig, I have no detonation at all in engine. I also run 92, but that is a given with a moded car. Sounds like your tune could be off, also did you calculate DCR with this cam? What is your static CR? Did this just start all of the sudden? Could be crap gas if that's the case too.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramairbird
See my sig, I have no detonation at all in engine. I also run 92, but that is a given with a moded car. Sounds like your tune could be off, also did you calculate DCR with this cam? What is your static CR? Did this just start all of the sudden? Could be crap gas if that's the case too.
Very similar set-up to you. I just have LS6 heads and stock GM MLS head gaskets. Predator Z has been advising. Did you have your car tuned after the cam install? How do you like the cam? Are you disappointed at all? Maybe gone bigger? The low-end seems very close to stock, but above 3000 it comes on pretty strong all the way to 6000.

BTW - I grew-up in Kenmore (just north of Buffalo).

Brian