Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch for ~750 wheel tq.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch for ~750 wheel tq.?

Hey guys, I have read a lot of varying opinions but want info from people actually using stuff. Who is putting in the ballpark of 750-800 ft-lbs to the wheels and what clutch are you using? I have a Spec 3 and as I get the tuning dialed in and the boost up, it just isn't happy and will slip 3rd and 4th if I roll into it too hard.

I REALLY don't want to spend the money on a twin disk right now, so I was wondering if anyone has had luck with any singles on the street in this power range. I need something that will grab, but also let me shift too- I hear too many stories of clutches not shifting at high RPM's and such. I was told the Ram Powergrip HD should hold, but I want to hear from people using the stuff. Thanks!
Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesh Joe, you built up that z eh, I knew you couldnt hold off for long.

Aaron.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Jesh Joe, you built up that z eh, I knew you couldnt hold off for long.

Aaron.
Heh, not the Z- I sold that. I have an 05 GTO with an APS twin turbo setup, diamond 9.4:1 pistons, Scat rods, blah blah blah .
Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
Don't take this the wrong way but why would you put all that money into a car pushing that kind of torque yet not on the clutch?
With that said if you change your mind and would like a Textralia single disc or dual disc, shoot me a call and we can discuss which would be better for your application once I get more information about your setup. Thanks!
Lol, no offense taken- it is because after spending all that money, my "clutch fund" is a little short . The Spec 3 in there only has about 2000 miles on it (before the turbo kit) and I was hoping it would at least make it through the season on the street, then I'd do a twin disk next Winter. I am going to try to pull the shim from behind the slave first and see what happens, then take it from there.
Joe
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go with a twin disk that is able to be rebuilt. that much power will beat up a single disk on the street.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Remember, our stage 3 is rated to 680ft.lbs at the crank which you are pretty clearly exceeding. That being said I will be happy to talk with you about Twin-Disc options that would be more suited to your power level. Give me a call to discuss options and pricing. Thanks,
Old 04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Jeremy, I hope you didn't take it as me saying the clutch was no good, just stating that as I up things, it isn't happy anymore . I bought this clutch for my procharged setup which was only doing around 540 tq and a much easier torque curve than what the turbos produce.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

No worries man...I didn't take it that way at all. Let me know if you need anything else and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

I'm in the same boat...have an iron block 408 + 300 shot running a spec 3. On motor I think it will hold up fine it's just when the juice kicks in that I'm kinda worried...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Teching In

My Spec 3 Welded To The Fly Wheel With 530 To The Wheels And Juustin From Spec Said Just Put It Back In It Will Be Just Fine. They Would Not Stand Behind This Clutch At All Have Pics If Intrested
Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

with that kind of power a twin will probably be the best option. the tex eco skel has an awesome pedal feel and holds monster tq. i know you said funds is low but if you put in a new clutch that can't hold the power it will just be a waste of funds that could have went towards a better clutch. byunspeed did have a cc that was 1 year same as cash.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

textralia...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

MM had good success with his Spec 4 or 5. If on a budget, it might be worth a try....

That said, there is a good chance the OZ700 would also perform, although you appear to be above its normal operating range.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For that much torque you need a dual disk.It is the only thing that will hold any length of time. Time to get a new CC.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Kwik, The Carbon-Graphite Super-Twin would be ideal for the power and usage outlined above. Let me know if you have any further questions...I know we have kicked Q&A's back and forth already i just wanted to make sure you has all your bases covered. Thanks,
Old 05-03-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Kwik, The Carbon-Graphite Super-Twin would be ideal for the power and usage outlined above. Let me know if you have any further questions...I know we have kicked Q&A's back and forth already i just wanted to make sure you has all your bases covered. Thanks,
Umm, yes- I'm Joe Pampena, I already ordered and installed it

Just to update, I went with the Spec twin disk with the carbon-graphite disks as mentioned above. No long term feedback yet, but so far it is holding fine. It does chatter pretty good, but it seems to be subsiding a bit with mileage too. The only "dislike" I have about it is the release point. The clutch does all it's grabbing in MAYBE the top 1/4 of the pedal, so it makes it hard to get used to and also makes it more of an on/off type engagement since it has such limited pedal travel from "starting to grab" to fully grabbing. I do like the fact that it does release so high though- makes shifting a breeze compared to my spec 3 which you practically had to shove the pedal through the floor to get it to release good enough for high rpm shifting.

So far, I am happy with it and hope it continues to live up to expectation .
Joe
Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Joe, I didn't put the two names together. I am glad to hear that you are pleased with the results. Keep us posted as you continue to wear the unit in. Thanks,
Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Will do. Is it normal for it to grab so high? Seems fine, so I am assuming it is just the geometry of the pressure plate. I'll just have to get used to it.
Joe
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
Lol, no offense taken- it is because after spending all that money, my "clutch fund" is a little short . The Spec 3 in there only has about 2000 miles on it (before the turbo kit) and I was hoping it would at least make it through the season on the street, then I'd do a twin disk next Winter. I am going to try to pull the shim from behind the slave first and see what happens, then take it from there.
Joe

Byunspeed + Textralia Exo Skel + 12 month 0% interest financing = BAD ***** fuggin CLUTCH!

GO DUAL...single wont hold **** for long...
Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

It shouldn't be real high (of course perception is relative). That being said if you aren't noticing any inconsistency in pedal then I think you are fine. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Quick Reply: clutch for ~750 wheel tq.?