Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cartek Clutch Users sill around?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cartek Clutch Users sill around?

Are there people still running this clutch? I de-modded my car two years ago and now I am getting back into modifying my car. I have ran the ram 402/6130(great, should have never taken it out), spec 3(hated) and ram hd( currently have now and slipping)

My brother had the cartek clutch in his old formula(cannibal) and it never slipped once. It was a heavy car and Made alot of power and performed flawlessly.

I am considering the cartek, the textralia, or the ram 402/6130. I plan on an aggressive cam only setup with everyday street driving. High rpm launches on slicks.

Any input from current cartek clutch users?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Second Club

i still run them, frist one i had i put over 40,xxx miles on it and never sliped, replaced it with a new one when i had tranny rebuilt and i been beating the **** out of it for about 20,xxx miles and no problems.

i all so hear that there comming out with a new design that will be better witch is hard to beleve
Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

I got my cartek clutch in March.. Love it
Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverZ98
i still run them, frist one i had i put over 40,xxx miles on it and never sliped, replaced it with a new one when i had tranny rebuilt and i been beating the **** out of it for about 20,xxx miles and no problems.

i all so hear that there comming out with a new design that will be better witch is hard to beleve
This dude isnt lying, ive seen him beat and beat and beat that clutch, not to mention, his first cartek is in another of our friends cars and is still going strong....Ill be ordering mine in a few months
Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned

Shoot me PM if you have any questions about the clutch.

Max
Old 04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Cartek Clutch

I talked to Dave this afternoon about Cartek Clutches.

I WILL BE ORDERING MINE IN THE MORNING!!!!!

I have never heard anything bad about them. I currently have a LS7 clutch, but I don't think that it would live long with the new 402.

Bob K.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by silverZ98

You hear correctly...

I was/is the "beta-tester" for the new redesign of the clutch for CARTEK this spring.

I have run all the previous versions of their clutches. I loved them all, but this one is hands down the best one yet. Disengages instantly, shifts smoother then ever. I have a stock T56 with 65K miles on it and I was able to powershift the car without any problem what so ever.

In the 4 weeks that I had the clutch, I made 42 passes all in the mid/low 10's without a single missed shift. Its perfect on the street as I drive the car on weekends and to and from the track.

After I told a few local Vette guys how awesome the new CARTEK clutch was, they lined up out the door to get it, and all are incredibly happy.

Here is a video of the clutch... and me... in action : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XedpZ_BkG4w
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by RGKSR
I talked to Dave this afternoon about Cartek Clutches.

I WILL BE ORDERING MINE IN THE MORNING!!!!!

I have never heard anything bad about them. I currently have a LS7 clutch, but I don't think that it would live long with the new 402.

Bob K.

Im sure Dave told you about a little kid with a little H/C Trans Am that shifts the **** out of it without a single problem...
Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what flywheel is recommended for this clutch?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Teching In

How is the clutch for DD purposes? I want to put this or an LS7 into my GTO. I drive the car about 1.5k a month and currently have a 150 N2O kit on and am getting the car tuned for it after the clutch goes in.

My future mods will be a turbo kit and cam (?) with a goal of 550whp. This will be done in the summer. I don't have the money for a Tex right now and want something that will be able to hold the power of the turbo. But most importantly I want the clutch to not chatter like crazy and make my leg hurt after a day of driving. But also the clutch needs to handle drag stip abuse about once a month. The car won't be hot lapped cause the track is crowded and most night get about 3 passes in 3-4 hours.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoneSS
what flywheel is recommended for this clutch?

It depends on the style of CARTEK clutch you go with, but in either instance they usually use a new or resurfaced stock flywheel.

On all 3 of my CARTEK clutched from their first design, to their second, to the newest one now, I have always had stock new/resurfaced flywheels.

I am sure if you are road racing you can use a light weight flywheel.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by quantim0
How is the clutch for DD purposes? I want to put this or an LS7 into my GTO. I drive the car about 1.5k a month and currently have a 150 N2O kit on and am getting the car tuned for it after the clutch goes in.

My future mods will be a turbo kit and cam (?) with a goal of 550whp. This will be done in the summer. I don't have the money for a Tex right now and want something that will be able to hold the power of the turbo. But most importantly I want the clutch to not chatter like crazy and make my leg hurt after a day of driving. But also the clutch needs to handle drag stip abuse about once a month. The car won't be hot lapped cause the track is crowded and most night get about 3 passes in 3-4 hours.
I do not drive my car as much as you any longer, but I will say that this clutch if perfectly at home driving around town. I do drive the car to the track and back, to the shore and back with my GF in the car, out to dinner and car meets on the weekends. Driving in NJ automatically means you WILL be in traffic at some point. The pedal feel is near stock with the new clutch. In fact with every redesign of the CARTEK clutch the pedal has become lighter and lighter. Personally I don't know if I like this, but what I will say is that if you are in traffic for an hour, this clutch will not tire your leg out at all. And the best part of it is, that after an hour or more of traffic, I get to the track, do a burnout, dump the clutch at 7000 and powershift every gear w/o a problem. Then sit in traffic on the way home.

I have driven friends' cars with Spec's Ram's and so on, and I have to say that this is the best clutch I have ever driven, hands down.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default I ordered it a day late!!

But I ordered it (this morning). I'm looking forward to getting my C5 back on the road!

Bob K.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Unless something big changes I will be ordering mine early next week.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Cartek Clutch!!!!

It's here (kinda). Thanks guys!!!

I dropped it off at the shop to get balanced.

Should be eady in the morning!!!!!! I'm pumped!!!!

Bob K.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Let me know how it drives when you get it up and running.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one of their early models I guess.Think back in 2002 or 2003. I had no luck at all with mine. I had bad problems with my modified adjustable master ,it wouldn't hold settings and mabye that is what killed the cartech. It never did seem to hold well but it was hard to ask for warranty as dont' drive my car much and likely warranty was up before I even got around to putting it in. Still I am not complainer understand race parts and all that. I found it to chatter quite a bit ,pedal pressure was pretty high as as you can see it obviously was slipping or something.Think do to hydraulic problems. This clutch was on a street car seen maybe 5000 miles since car was mostly parked with hydraulic problems not wanting to go into gear. I did the drill mod that helped some and clutch was installed with newest slave. I finally put in mcleod master and that seemed to help things at least mcleod would hold setting unlike the modified gm master .I tweaked the gm master and that fixed it finally but preferred the mcleod. I never bothered to take out my tranny until recently when figured had to get my car back on the road already with only 12,000 miles on it time drive it.

Here are the pics of the old cartech not much left of it. This car was never tracked and was launched hard maybe 5 or 10 times total making some time runs on my timer. It always had poor mph from day one for its mods, they were just headers, cam and bolt ons.

So again not sure what was wrong with this maybe hydraulic problems did this. Still personally I went with different make this time around. I never did contact cartech about my clutch .As said it was installed due to winter storage and stuff think off warranty period and being in canada its very expensive and pain to ship stuff back. So we usually just suck it up and live with it.

Here are pics maybe some of you guys can tell me what you think happened. I think it was slipping from day one likely from the master not holding proper adjustment.

I just forwared these to cartech also as am curious what killed my clutch with such low miles. I hope it never happens to any in the future or it will be auto time from here on out for me.

Clutch was installed professionally.loctite on flywheel and pressure plate, tool used to align plate and flywheel. Broken in gently for first 500 miles. Never seen drag tires just nittos and street launches. Mabye 10 hard ones of those . To me it looks like its got 100,000 miles on it of hard track use. The flywheel and pressure plate were both grooved hard to see in pics and really nothing left of the disc.down to rivets.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I got one of their early models I guess.Think back in 2002 or 2003. I had no luck at all with mine. I had bad problems with my modified adjustable master ,it wouldn't hold settings and mabye that is what killed the cartech. It never did seem to hold well but it was hard to ask for warranty as dont' drive my car much and likely warranty was up before I even got around to putting it in. Still I am not complainer understand race parts and all that. I found it to chatter quite a bit ,pedal pressure was pretty high as as you can see it obviously was slipping or something.Think do to hydraulic problems. This clutch was on a street car seen maybe 5000 miles since car was mostly parked with hydraulic problems not wanting to go into gear. I did the drill mod that helped some and clutch was installed with newest slave. I finally put in mcleod master and that seemed to help things at least mcleod would hold setting unlike the modified gm master .I tweaked the gm master and that fixed it finally but preferred the mcleod. I never bothered to take out my tranny until recently when figured had to get my car back on the road already with only 12,000 miles on it time drive it.

Here are the pics of the old cartech not much left of it. This car was never tracked and was launched hard maybe 5 or 10 times total making some time runs on my timer. It always had poor mph from day one for its mods, they were just headers, cam and bolt ons.

So again not sure what was wrong with this maybe hydraulic problems did this. Still personally I went with different make this time around. I never did contact cartech about my clutch .As said it was installed due to winter storage and stuff think off warranty period and being in canada its very expensive and pain to ship stuff back. So we usually just suck it up and live with it.

Here are pics maybe some of you guys can tell me what you think happened. I think it was slipping from day one likely from the master not holding proper adjustment.

I just forwared these to cartech also as am curious what killed my clutch with such low miles. I hope it never happens to any in the future or it will be auto time from here on out for me.

Clutch was installed professionally.loctite on flywheel and pressure plate, tool used to align plate and flywheel. Broken in gently for first 500 miles. Never seen drag tires just nittos and street launches. Mabye 10 hard ones of those . To me it looks like its got 100,000 miles on it of hard track use. The flywheel and pressure plate were both grooved hard to see in pics and really nothing left of the disc.down to rivets.
Eash, that is really sucky. Sorry man.

Obviously not every part produced will perform perfectly. Defects happen in manufacturing all the time.

Did you have the CARTEK adjustable master?

I have had every generation of the CARTEK clutch so I know what you are saying about the stiff pedal feel. The old ones were a definite workout. The second generation was softer, and the one I have now feels like stock pressure.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had their modified stock master. It didn't work well at all. I finally about year ago got mcleod master but think the damage was done by the modified master drifting off its setting and then it looks like it let the clutch drag ,slip all the time and wore it down to the rivets in only 5000 or less miles with no track use and barely any launches.I hope they use a different master now. Sounds good about the newest gens.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 AM
CARTEK Racing

Sorry to hear that like I said.

They still use the same master from what I know. I have never had a problem with mine, it has been in the car for all 3 clutches from the first gen to the beta testing of this one. Always stayd in the same ajustment that was set bu the guys at CARTEK.