Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 T56 in a 1st gen camaro.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 T56 in a 1st gen camaro.....

my dad is looking to put a 6 speed in his 69 camaro behind his 327. it has a muncie m-21 now so it has the hole for the shifter and the pedals, however hes looking to buy a whole setup to swap in.

the questions i have about this are:

-will the trans and bellhousing bolt directly to his '67 327 SBC
-would it be best to totally convert to the hyrdaulic setup that comes in the LT1s, because ive seen the adapter kids to use normal push style mechanical clutches with a t56 but was thinking the hydraulic setup would be better
-what needs to be done with the electrical connections on the trans. if i rememebr correctly there are 4. what will need to be done with them
-and similar to the last question, what will need to be done to hook up his factory mechanical speedo to the trans.

any help would be great. looking to hear from some people who have done this swap before.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do your dad a favor and steer him to an aftermarket model T56 ( 1386-000-011) that is made for this type of conversion. It re-uses his existing bell and release system. It will save alot of conversion headaches and may actually save $$ in th big picture. Check it out at any Tremec dealer.

Quick Reply: LT1 T56 in a 1st gen camaro.....