Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTS -> CTS-V conversion..questions inside?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS -> CTS-V conversion..questions inside?

Hey,

I noticed recently that used high mileage CTS's are getting pretty reasonable. I was wondering if anyone has swapped a lsx motor into a regular v6 CTS, and what they had to change over?

My main concerns are-

1.)K-member/Motor mounts ... i'm assuming these are CTS-V specific

2.)Steering rack/shaft - I've heard alot about an 'assisted' steering in the V's..does anyone know if the regular CTS rack will work with the LSX?

3.)CTS-V headers...if the steering racks are indeed different, does anyone have any experience with aftermarket header clearances?

Thanks for the help guys..and before the question "why don't you just buy a CTS-V" comes up, well, I could in theory build a V for about half the price, and it would be easier for me to go to an auto this way.

-Matt
Old 04-25-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good idea..

I know the Oil Pan is different, You can find them once in awhile for sale on forum and ebay. I picked up two of them, used one on my Chevelle swap and sold the other.

I would say there are not a lot of them in the junk yards yet.. so.. you might end up bying the specific K-member and anything else from the dealer.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pretty sure I read in a car rag somewhere that the X-member was indeed different.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Teching In

i could justify spending the cash at the dealer on a kmember, mounts, and oilpan if they were the only big thing needed. the steering rack and column is what i'm worried the most about.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pseudo-V

If you're bent on doing this, you would be much better off buying a V that was a roll-over total or even a flooded one and using it as a donor car.

It's not just the typical corporate engine-swap car. Sure, you could do that if you want just a straight-line car, but you would miss out on the rest of the package that makes it work so well.

Read up on this before you start and you'll probably find out that you'll not save as much (even discounting labor) as you think!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im inclined to agree... If you can get a nice cheap CTS...and find a V with enough damage so that its not fixable, but still has good parts, you can swap a ton of stuff over. Plus you will have all the parts you need and all the wiring that you need.

If you can swing that...ide do it. Otherwise, if you can get the cheap CTS, it might be semi worth it to just go to the dealer for parts. Either way that sounds like a fun project. Dont hear about that being done very often.

Justin
Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

I have a ctsv engine, with 500 miles on it total, Headers, and lots of other parts from a few of my caddys. If you decide to go with it, give me a call, i can help you out on the parts.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little off the subject, but doesn't the CTS-V have a shorter T56 than a GTO/F-body T56? If it is in fact shorter, what are the other differences between the gearboxes?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say they are bout the same, but would have a different tail shaft housing/shifter location from the F-Body/GTO.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

The input shaft looks a little different, and the bearing that goes into the crank is different also.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I have an 04 CTS with 36k on 20's chrome with grill and the whole bling bling package. The 3.6 while no monster is not weak either, I wish a company would make a SC for it, I know a company was looking into it at one point but it fizzled. You can actually get the 3.6 in a 6speed which is supposed to be pretty slick.

Its a hella nice car but a V is a V if you got the CTS dirt cheap it probably has some miles and some wear...I don't know I'd think of different LSx swap cars...

But if you did do it I'd be jealous

Quick Reply: CTS -> CTS-V conversion..questions inside?