Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do's and Dont's for the first up of a rebuilt engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Do's and Dont's for the first up of a rebuilt engine?

what are the precautions you are suppose to take before you fire up a rebuilt engine, also arnt you suppose to rev it to 3k for a while?? just need some clarification

thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, don't rev it past 3k till after about a 500 mile break in. There isn't even a need to get near 3 grand since it's a V8. I had no problem on my import motors of not going over 3 grand on my break in. Depends how **** you want to be. After 500 miles some people won't go past 4k for another 100 and then repeat all the way till they hit redline.

Hopefully you lubed everything up real nice when the rebuild was being done that way nothing has to have solid contact with no lubrication.

Another thing I did was use cheap oil for my start up and changed it at 50 miles. Then got a better grade oil and used it till 500 miles then after that I used synthetic. Worked out great for me.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

This is the procedure I received with my built 327 for my '56.
Many things apply to any new build, esp. the cam break-in....

When you receive your Motor it will be on TDC, top dead center, for the number one cylinder. If you purchased a distributor with the motor it will be installed in the proper position with the rotor pointing towards #1 on the cap.

2) If you somehow rotate the motor during installation you will alter the timing and I won't be much help without knowing the position of the crankshaft so please be carerul when tightening belts and pulleys not to rotate the crankshaft. The firing order on the SBC Chevy is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, the odd cylinders are on the drivers side and even 0. the passenger side of the vehicle. The distributor rotor rotates in a clockwise manner. Always double-check this upon installation and prior to initial fire up. If you remove the distributor make sure that the oil pump shaft engages with the distributor shaft.

3) Once Motor is installed into vehicle with all electrical, plumbing, exhaust, fuel, water and bolts tightened and in place put recommended amount of straight 30-50-wt oil into motor. This should be 5 quarts unless otherwise instructed. The motor should then be primed. If you have an oil primer you should use it, if not then disconnect the coil wire and spin the motor over with the starter for 1 minute. You should see oil pressure registering on your pressure gauge ofat least 30 lbs. This will also insure proper fuel in the carburetor float bowl(s). DO NOT pump the gas during this procedure.

4) You will need a timing light to check the timing once the motor fires up. Follow manufacturers recommendation on hooking up your timing light. Just make sure that you have the timing connector on the #1 cylinder spark plug wire. Make sure that the power wires are clear and out of the way of the fan and belts.

5) You should be ready to fire up the motor for break-in. If you have followed #1- #3, have a buddy/wife get into the drivers seat to work the gas and monitor the gauges. Pump the accelerator a couple of times. You should observe fuel dispense into the motor via the carb pump. Have tbe distributor hold down bolt a little loose as minor timing adjustments may need to be made. Turn the starter over until the motor fires up. Once started make sure that the RPM’s stay above 1800 but below 3000 for the initial 15-20 ..minutes to ensure proper camshaft break-in.

Vary the rpm's to insure proper lubrication or the cam and other parts. You should have somewhere between 50-70 lbs. of oil pressure during this procedure. If oil falls below 30 shut the motor off.

5) Once the motor fires up and you have timed the motor by ear, adjusted the carb for minor air/fuel adjustments check for any oil, fuel and water leaks. If any are observed shut the motor off and repair them. You should then attempt to time the motor with a timing light. I prefer to do this once the camshaft is broken in. You can do this by letting the motor idle down to approximately 800 rpm and setting the initial timing between 10-14 degrees on the balancer. Set the timing by rotating the distributor slightly clockwise to retard and counter clockwise to advance timing. Tighten distributor bolt once final timing is established.

6) After the break-in procedure you will need to change the oil and filter ASAP! While they’re warm. This will insure that all the moly lube gets removed from the motor. Replace the oil with a high quality 10-40 oil and quality filter. Valvoline or Quaker State etc. will do. Check oil level and fire up the motor again. Check oil pressure and all other fluids. Once satisfied you may now drive the vehicle. Try to keep the rpm's below 4000 for the first 500 miles. After 500 miles change the oil/filter again. Repeat this process every 1500-2500 miles. Do not put synthetic oil into the motor until you have 1000 miles or 100 hours on the motor.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Launching!

I had no idea break in was that extensive. I guess I know now for the future. Now I just need the excuse to build my new to me lq4, which will not happen for a while lol.

Quick Reply: Do's and Dont's for the first up of a rebuilt engine?