Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter question

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I don't have time to search because I am studying for my finals. My plan is to buy an LS1 this summer, either stock or modded...If i go stock, here is my question...About what size of a stall would I need to a car running basically gears, catback, and lid? Which would make the biggest difference, longtubes and catback only vs. 3.73s and converter only? I like the the idea of a loud exhaust, but with gears and a stall it could be a nice little sleeper while I save up funds to build it up more...Should I get the longtubes, gears, lid and catback, or should i go gears, lid, catback, converter? I have money for the gears, lid, and catback, its all a matter of lontubes or converter, which would be the better performance benefit? Sorry for the redundancy, I am not really thinkin straight right now, too much school on my mind...
Old 04-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Launching!

well, no matter if you get the car with or with out the upgrades I would get a converter. If you dont plan on nitrous, then I would go with at least a 4200. If you get gears, then I would go 3:73's and a 4400. They seem to work well together!! Now as far as long tubes, this and that about performance, the answer is no. NO until you get a converter. If you dont get your converter first then you will be wasting money. The best mod you can do to any a4 is the converter swap. It is the weakest link to the car. Once that is done, then get your self some tires and a lid. I have a pretty good idea you would be happy, but if your not, I would then get your gears, and some suspension(subframes and some shocks maybe some springs if you want the car lowerd) I would save your money for the full exhaust. Once you had the money, get the Long Tubes, off road y-pipe and then a catback or a cutout. Youll have a blast then.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Is this going to be your daily driver or track car?If your going to drive it all the time you got to think about driveability.A stall is the best upgrade but I would buy a built tranny and it woul be useless without drag tire from a stop because you woul just spin.I would do lid,headers,cutout or change the muffler.If you get a car that has 3.23 I woul do the stall.2.73 suck
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

the car will be a daily driver, I am selling my tahoe right now...i know 3.73s will help, but they won't matter much unless matched with a proper stall...would something like a 3000, 3200, or 3600 work? in the future, a cam and nitrous are in the works, but thats not until summer 2008, this summer, i would for sure get a lid, catback, and gears, its basically converter vs. longtubes, and what size stall i would need...this car would be mostly small street races(doubt it, but if they come up, i'll do it) and maybe see the track once or twice...i want a nice loud daily driver that gives me the satisfaction that I know i can beat a lot of cars around me...In my area of town, their are a lot of asians and polish people that think their evos and civics are the ****, I want to make sure I am above par on a mildly modified evo...
Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

bump...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

bump...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

bump for some more input...
Old 04-26-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

bump...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the gears and a 3500 stall and a sticky set of tires. those are by far the best mods for a good gain in your times and the car will still be great for daily driving.