Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Looking at a 1998 Z28 Camaro this summer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 1998 Z28 Camaro this summer.

Greetings all, I am new here, But Im a very big contributor to the GMI forums and I was directed here.

I am looking at getting a camaro this summer.

There is one at the dealership across the cornfield from me (wow that sounds horrible...) that is listed at $8995. What should I keep my eye out for, Im very car savvy, and I'm not a huge Camaro buff, but I want to be.

Specs at the car I'm looking at:

1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
5.7L LS1
RWD
6 spd Manual trans
97,772 Miles
Black
T-Tops, 4 wheel disk brakes, dual exhaust, Leather interior,cup holders, Power everything, cruse control, center arm rest, fold down rear seats. This car is basically loaded.

I blue booked it and in excellent condition (which it appears to be! I have yet to test drive it) Kelley's blue book reccomended $9,000. Which is basically what the dealership has it listed as.

I know the owner of this dealership, its a smaller town. I also know the contact person listed whom to talk to, he actually lives 3 houses away.. So im hoping I can make something work.

I plan on saving about 4 or 5k this summer for it, on top of a trade in on a conversion van (probably valued at $3000, i have yet to blue book it.) And then a 1995 Monte Carlo at about $1800-$2000.

I would appreciate ANY input, good or bad! Expected Gas Mileage, and any other expectations. I already have looked into flowmaster 40's for the mufflers and an SLP intake.

Keep in mind I am a college student at the age of 21, I have 3 years of school under my belt, and another 2 to 2 1/2 years left.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Hey man.. I bought mine (98 z28 6speed 95k) for 6600 about 7-8 months ago... and yea I had to replace a couple little stupid things like an altenator... On the side of a busy road in town.. But If you look hard enough you'll find a deal. You can usually pick up one on the forsale section for around 7k w/ a couple of mods. I love my car. If you can spend the extra $ get a 2001 though b/c they have a couple other little goodies already on them that you dont have to get. (ls6 intake.. ect.) But from a dealership I guess that price isnt too bad. But I'd look around before you settled on anything. But hey, As long as it isnt a mustang, I think you'll be alright. But good luck!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the Camaro. As a side note, you'll almost always get more for your car selling it privately compared to trading it in.

If you're by the cities, come to Porkys by University and Snelling on the weekend.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TransAm12sec
Good luck with the Camaro. As a side note, you'll almost always get more for your car selling it privately compared to trading it in.

If you're by the cities, come to Porkys by University and Snelling on the weekend.
I live in zumbrota mn if you have any clue where that is, its 20 miles north of rochester. I go to school over in wisonsin at UW Stout.

Do you know of any camaros in the area for sale? Like the one im looking at? I want to find a cheaper one....
Old 04-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Not off the top of my head, but www.mnfbody.com, autotrader.com, and craigslist.com are the first few sights to come to mind.

tcstangs.com is the largest twin cities board, you could ask on there or mnfbody.com.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

once yoo start in this.. Fbody thingy.. you can never go back lol
Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thule
once yoo start in this.. Fbody thingy.. you can never go back lol

haha yeah im hooked already and I don't even have a car!!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

I sold my 98 z28 with 50K miles for $9500 and it was in perfect condition with a ton of mods (cammed, new clutch, ported tb, 25% pulley, chrome 18 z06 wheels, headers, ory, magnaflow catback, sfc, stb, lcas, bilstein hds, new drilled/slotted rotors and pads, ss hood, tint, etc...I wouldnt pay that much for the z28 your looking at and if you can step up to a 99+ z28 as the 98's have some tuning issues due to their pcm. Also, the block had an oil issue.