Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Melling 10296..which spring should I use for Oil Cooler and Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Melling 10296..which spring should I use for Oil Cooler and Turbos

As the title indicates. The pump comes with the red spring (high pressure), but I'm not sure I need that high of pressure. However I am adding an oil cooler and feeding two turbos......should I use Blue or Red. The instructions state that either spring will not change idle oil pressure (duh) but at the same time it doesn't stae what the oil presuure will be with each spring.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
FormerVendor

If i'm not mistaken, Melling says that the red spring increases stock pressure by about 15%.
Personally, mine increased it by about 20%. Although, this is NOT with turbos or an oil cooler. But I would think it would be the same percentage.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the Red spring and I am running an oil also. I selected the red high pressure spring because I am running a oil cooler. All the research I had done indicates that adding an oil cooler will drop the pressure any where from 5 15 psi depending on parts used and location of cooler.

Keith
Old 04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
9 Second Club

I gained pressure when I installed my cooler like 20-25 psi
Old 04-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiago
I gained pressure when I installed my cooler like 20-25 psi
Really.... what size line are you using -4an

Keith
Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

LOL, actually like a -10 ...

I relocated my oil filter in teh same loop as my cooler, so it runs through the cooler then through the filter, then back to the motor.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:14 PM

You know I am going to change my oil filter too. My engine builder is Rex Hutchison in NorCal...the shop is legendary out here and so is Bob Bunker as he as run his big as 55 or 57 Chevy in the 6s at 22x mph for the last 30 years.

He (Rex...in his 70s now) told me the other day when I was talking about oil pressure with him, "you know what the best kind of oil filter is?" I said, "no what is it"....he said, "no oil filter". He went on to say that if the motor is assembled correctly and clean and you change your oil regular....that the oil filter is really just a restriction to oil pressure...and that if you are hoping to catch metal flakes out of your motor in it...then its too late by that time. I accept what he had to say but mentioned I would really feel more comfortable running an oil filter...he said, "find...just make sure you get the least restrictive one on the market".

So I am looking at oil filter other then Delco now....as I have seen some documentation that compares oil pressure just by switching oil filters too.

But back to springs I will leave the red spring in and see what happens.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Melling 10296..which spring should I use for Oil Cooler and Turbos