General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

A Few ?'s about Underdrive Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default A Few ?'s about Underdrive Pulleys

2000 Z28 with LT's, Y-pipe, Catback, Lid w/ K&N.

I'm looking for that next step to add some HP. I really don't have an issue when it comes to money, but I think I should start small for now. So I want to know a little bit about under drive pulleys and if it should be my next step. So far from reading online, by installing one it's one less thing for your engine to turn and therefore more power correct? So how much do they cost? Where can I get one? Can I install it when I don't know a lot about cars or should I just have a shop do it? Do they affect your engine temperature? If so should I put in a new thermostat as well? I'm sure a lot of you have already done this install and I'd appreciate some advice, thanks, I'm still pretty new here.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres so many mixed results on the pulleys I would use the money for a tune.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy that owned it before me had some tune called pcmforless or something. I don't think it's the best tune out there, but like I said before, I'm not that knowledgeable yet. What about heads and a new camshaft? How much do they run. Thousands?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Read the "so you wanna go fast" thread and it will inform you about the cost of speed.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html
Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
The guy that owned it before me had some tune called pcmforless or something. I don't think it's the best tune out there, but like I said before, I'm not that knowledgeable yet. What about heads and a new camshaft? How much do they run. Thousands?
PCMforless is a mail order tune. Not the best thing you can do by any means. If you do a few bolt'ons then maybe they can get a few more ponies out of it for you. You have to take the PCM out of yoru car and send it to them, wait a week or two and then get it back with a tune installed in it. As for you H/C question: good heads and cam can be had for less than 1K. Look under the parts classified section on here and you will find many cams and heads for less than a thousand combined. Don't get me wrong, if you want to spend several thousand dollars on just heads and cam, you certainly with some vendors.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
Read the "so you wanna go fast" thread and it will inform you about the cost of speed.
Thx, but I actually read everything on that thread and it doesn't get very specific or in depth.

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
PCMforless is a mail order tune. Not the best thing you can do by any means. If you do a few bolt'ons then maybe they can get a few more ponies out of it for you. You have to take the PCM out of yoru car and send it to them, wait a week or two and then get it back with a tune installed in it. As for you H/C question: good heads and cam can be had for less than 1K. Look under the parts classified section on here and you will find many cams and heads for less than a thousand combined. Don't get me wrong, if you want to spend several thousand dollars on just heads and cam, you certainly with some vendors.
I see, I kinda get the idea. Get what you pay for kind of thing. I hear the term 90/90 being thrown around. Does this have to do with heads/cam? I have no idea what this means. How much labor is involved with a heads/cam swap? 1k-3k is definately something i can afford to put out and from what i see from others...its a good increase in hp and the ls1 reacts quite nicely from it. I was just wondering how much labor there is and about how much i'm looking to spend to install something like this.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Thx, but I actually read everything on that thread and it doesn't get very specific or in depth.

I see, I kinda get the idea. Get what you pay for kind of thing. I hear the term 90/90 being thrown around. Does this have to do with heads/cam? I have no idea what this means. How much labor is involved with a heads/cam swap? 1k-3k is definately something i can afford to put out and from what i see from others...its a good increase in hp and the ls1 reacts quite nicely from it. I was just wondering how much labor there is and about how much i'm looking to spend to install something like this.
90/90 is a set-up from a company called F.A.S.T. its a intake & TB combo. I only suggest using that on a bigger cube motor for the price it goes for.

One the heads & cam swap you could possibly get everythign for under $1000, but I highly doubt it.

Your lookin at approx.:

$200 or more for a good used cam
$100 pushrods
$25 LS2 timing chain
$130 oil pump
$40 cam bolt & gasket kit
$600 at least on some used heads & that is considered a deal
$100 LS7 lifters is they need replacing
$325 LS6 intake
$40-80 for head gaskets depending on brand
$300 for springs seats & retainers depending on cam size
$250-500 for a full dyno tune depending on how much your local shop/tuner charges
$35 new head bolts from SDPC since the stockers aren't to be reused.

Then there is always little nickle & dime stuff that you could find while your doin the swaps that needs to be replaced. Most these prices are pretty close to what you'll spend, but some of the better heads will run you far north of $600 unless you find a killer deal & then you better have cash in hand cause they go quick. So with just the prices listed above that puts you at around $1800 w/o a tune.

Now given you might not need everything on my list, but I would suggest doin it while your in there.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt go through the hassle of doing one unless you were going to be doing some internal to the car anyways
Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thx bigmike for all the approximate pricing. Yea i see that a 90/90 goes for about a thousand on texas-speed.com. A little pricy, but yea thx for the numbers. Anyone know of an approximate number in hp gains for just adding the 90/90? a complete heads/cam swap? I'll start searching what numbers everyone else puts out but please feel free to share with me if you've done these mods.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heads and cam will just depends on how big the cam is and headers I THINK the hp difference is minor but there are some that are better than others
Old 04-27-2007, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get caught up in the big dyno number cams. Pick something that fits your goals for the car the best. Sometimes a smaller cam like a 224 or 228 is the way to go. they might no impress everyone with large numbers, but they will have a smoother & longer power/torque curve. Some of the bigger cams make alot of power but only for a short time & at higher RPM's. If you don't want to spin the stock short block to 7k rpm, I'd get a smaller cam & only spin to like 62-6400 RPM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Don't get caught up in the big dyno number cams. Pick something that fits your goals for the car the best. Sometimes a smaller cam like a 224 or 228 is the way to go. they might no impress everyone with large numbers, but they will have a smoother & longer power/torque curve. Some of the bigger cams make alot of power but only for a short time & at higher RPM's. If you don't want to spin the stock short block to 7k rpm, I'd get a smaller cam & only spin to like 62-6400 RPM.
Yea I'm not looking for mind boggling hp numbers I want a good power curve thx for the input. I've been searching and reading this forum day and night to find more information about cams, among other things. So much info...its great!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Banned

alot of good information here. Best mod ever: a well informed and researched purchase.