Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 2+ first impressions and issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 2+ first impressions and issues(no shift at high RPM)

After I broke my DS and several other drivetrain components I decided to go ahead and upgrade my clutch as well(was running a LS6 SLP clutch).

After reviewing my power 380rwhp(100 shot may be coming) and the fact that it is my wifes car(5'1'', 105 lbs) I decided a 2+ would be better than the 3 that I was originally contemplating.

Install was straight forward and the plus looks very cool with one pucked side and one full faced side for driveability. It is also shipped with a spacer to put behind your slave which we did install.

Cranked the car after it was installed and tried to put it in gear. It would NOT go, at all. Turned the car off and put it in gear and it was OK, pulled out of the driveway and the clucth seemed to work, but would NEVER fully disengage. At first we thought this was a hydraulic problem, but after bleeding them several times no change.

Called spec and actually talked to Spec-01 there that was very helpful. He adviced it may still be a hydraulic situation and to bleed it again and also put a few miles on the car.

We drove it for about 40 miles and it would still never fully disengage.

Finally we were pulling back in the shop and wanted to try one more thing.

It had been raining all day and we thought that maybe a couple small drops from 3000rpm or so would help if their were some high spots on the clutch, flywheel or PP. After 2 drops from 3(in the rain) it was MUCH better. It must have been a small high spot somewhere that was cleared off.

After it was working correctly we were then finally able to drive it. It feels JUST like stock with the all new hydraulics on it. The clutch had some chatter, but not too much. It is hard to tell the difference from teh LS6 clutch that was in there

It now has over 400 miles with VERY easy driving and the chatter is still there, but hardly noticable. Hopefully a 100 or so to go and we can start hammering on it and teh chatter will be gone!

Overall I am pleased with it at this point. I will update after our first track visit!

Last edited by NufNuffZ28; 05-21-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE: The car has about 650 miles on it and drives OK around town, but still has the clutch chatter, but more importantly, is not liking shifting abover 5k or so.

The transmission is SILKY smooth with the car not running or even while stopped now. Once you start moving the clutch is a little notchy, but not too bad.

Once the rpms start to increase and you try to shift with ANY speed it is like it hits a WALL and you must keep pusing and it will finally go into the next gear. I have a bad feeling that it is not releasing all the way still, but not sure. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Chris
Old 05-21-2007, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

I noticed that you have two threads going...I am going to post on this one since it provides more in-depth info. That being said...have you tried the drill mod? Have you upgraded the hydraulics...you may have mentioned this above but I didn't see it. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

I really don't have any experience but I have heard of spacer issues with spec clutches. Maybe try contacting a reputable shop that installs spec clutches frequently...they should have an idea of the ins and outs.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Jam, the spacer issues that you reference are generally related to the lack of use. It ultimately depends on the engagement point of the of the pedal.

That being said, NufNuf, where does engagement occur?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the hydralics have about 1k on, with the drill mod, and shifted good.

They are the 01-02 hydros. The spacer is behind the slave.

The engagement is pretty good. I know engagement is hard to explain but it its near the floor, but not right on it.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

With the pedal being relatively low it sounds more and more like air in the lines...especially considering the shim is in place. I know that you have bled it, of course as you know you can bleed these systems until your blue in the face and still get air out of them. If you continue to have issues let me know and I will be happy to have you send it back in for a check-up.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will do.......AGAIN.

As far as the engagement. With the shim in placde where are they normally releasing at with this setup?

Thanks and I will be in touch..
Old 05-24-2007, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem with my spec stage 3+ in my 2002 som ws6.
The clutch would engage right off the floor

I think you still have air in the system.

Did you bench bleed?

I did some research and found I was bleeding wrong. I needed to open bleeder then pump pedal. That and bench bleeding finaly got the air out and the pedal engagement moved up from the floor

2002gt
Old 05-24-2007, 08:17 AM
FormerVendor

Engagement should be about mid-pedal. Keep me posted on what you find. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

it took 1000miles for my spec 4 to quit chattering. hasn't done it since.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hummm...well overall it is mid pedal. I will have to check again. But either way I will bleed it again this weekend the way I did the last clutch swap that I had no problems with. I will update the thread as I find out more. No WOT shifting sucks :-(
Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Launching!

just installed my Spec 3+ last week. Mine drove fine with some weird squeaking sound but the next day it was gone. On the way home from work i was in 2nd gear and ran the rpms up alittle higher then normal DD and then tried to shift normal into 3rd and the pedal went to the floor. It started to be harder to shift into gear on the way home and the pedal stayed to the ground. The next day i tried to move the car out of the driveway and it would not go into gear unless i forced it and the pedal was still at the ground.

The problem i think that i have is that i need a new slave cylinder. Usually you would replace the slave with a new clutch specially after mine lasted 4yrs with some hard racing. Well i forgot to buy a slave so we just put the new spring on it instead that comes with the clutch. I haven't bleed it yet but will try that before i get the slave on there.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

I've been using a 2+ for the last year. It's holding great with my power on a 100 shot. So I'm happy with its holding power. But much like yours, it doesn't like to shift up high. Just feels like the gears are hitting, like the clutch isn't fully disengaging the drivetrain.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

my spec 3 hooks like a rocket,,,shifts great at high speeds,,,but chatters upon initial takeoff when "cold",,or first pulling out for the day. Once if rive it around for a bit,,it dosnt do it. I have owned the car for 2 years,,,the original owner put it in roughly a year before i bought it,,so 3 years and still chatters.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

I had a spec 3 for a couple years, worked fine until it began to wear down..until the point where the pedal was all but out when it finally engaged. Put the 408 in and smoked it the first day so a Tex Exoskel is in there now.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1rulz
I've been using a 2+ for the last year. It's holding great with my power on a 100 shot. So I'm happy with its holding power. But much like yours, it doesn't like to shift up high. Just feels like the gears are hitting, like the clutch isn't fully disengaging the drivetrain.
Your setup is similar to ours. We are going 100-150 shot soon.

How bad is your up top shifting?

Thats exactly what mine feels like. I mean I know I would be off 3 tenths or so from shifting speed alone.

Is this the reason you are going auto?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam02ss
I had a spec 3 for a couple years, worked fine until it began to wear down..until the point where the pedal was all but out when it finally engaged. Put the 408 in and smoked it the first day so a Tex Exoskel is in there now.
Exo Skel, NUFF SAID
Old 05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

damnit, Im starting to not like my choice so much, lol
Old 05-24-2007, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
Exo Skel, NUFF SAID
Lol is that in a good or bad way?

Quick Reply: Spec 2+ first impressions and issues