Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Cam and Oil Pump question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Cam and Oil Pump question??

I know everyone does say there are better Cams out there and all. But I am going with the Hot Cam for now got the kit from my buddy new for 275. I got a 98 SS. With the mods that are in sig with true duals and Cut outs. I got the cam, LS6 Springs and hardend rods. Should I do an LS6 oil pump or do you not have to? Also should I change timing chain and Pulley? (Balancer) Let me know thanks guys
Old 04-26-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Since you will have access to both the oil pump and timing chain, you might as well get new ones. Go with a ls6 oil pump and ls2 timing chain. You do not need a new balancer unless you want to buy a ASP or SLP pulley since you will have the stock one off. However, it is in your best interest to get a new GM harmonic balancer bolt. I put down 378rwp with my hotcam, 243 heads and long tubes through a m6.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

sounds good thanks man may 5th right
Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Well thats up to you, its better to do it now and get it done with, but maybe that pump will last you many more moons. When I had an LT1 people told me the same thing with the distributor because they always fail, especially if you get coolant on it. Well my waterpump leaked for over 10,000 miles before I got the motivation to get a new one, but even though the distributor looked like poo, I never replaced it with the cam change, it was added money I didn't want to spend, and my dad always said "if she ain't broke don't fix her" Do you get good oil pressure with the car? I guess it comes down to time and money. Would you rather spend the money now or spend the time later if it fails? When I do my cam change I'm leaving mine and will just watch the oil pressure.
Far as timing chain is concerned its cheap insurance, but I guess if you don't plan on reving it up to high I guess you could get away with it, but I would suggest at least doing THis since most of us can't stop ourselves from seeing what the engine can muster up. There are guys who just use the stocker, I have on other engines and i was always worried waiting for the time when the chaiun might jump a few teeth which can then be very very costly.

Nothing wrong with the hotcam I just read a post where the guy made 390 horses-thats unbelievable for such a mild cam, but obviously they can make great power and while the other guys are stuck replacing springs every 20k you can be cruising around with your sweetheart.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vidal77boxing
Since you will have access to both the oil pump and timing chain, you might as well get new ones. Go with a ls6 oil pump and ls2 timing chain. You do not need a new balancer unless you want to buy a ASP or SLP pulley since you will have the stock one off. However, it is in your best interest to get a new GM harmonic balancer bolt. I put down 378rwp with my hotcam, 243 heads and long tubes through a m6.
I agree, replace both while your in there. Better to spend an extra $150, and save yourself tons of time (and money if your not doing it yourself) if it ends up breaking afterwards.
Also you HAVE to get a new crank bolt. They are made to stretch when you torque them down, and are not re-usable. Check out ls1howto.com for full instructions on how to torque the new bolt once you get it in.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

sounds good thanks man may 5th right

Yes sir, im swapping the cam out on 05/05. As soon as the cam is out I will send u pics.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

yeah man may 5th thanks again