Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Issues. HELP!!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Gauge Issues. HELP!!!!

I am trying to get my autometers to work with my 05 5.3 conversion and so far I have got everything exept the fuel guage going. I have sent the fuel gauge to autometer now 3 times to be calibrated to work whith the 05 factory sender and the damn thing still is not working. The first time they did some kind of reverse sweep conversion, the second they said it was mislabled upon arrival and set it back to its original 0E 90F setting, and the third time they said they didnt get it right and set it back to OE AND 90F correctly this time. When I put my ohm meter on the sender wire from the tank it reads 37.5 but when I hook that same wire to the guage it reads E. Am I hooking it up wrong? If I hook the factor 05 factory gauge cluster up it reads a little over 1/4 and I measured the fuel in the tank and that is correct. IF the gauge is 0e and 90f should 37.5 ohms not be reading around the 1/4 mark? It has me totally frustrated and tired of paying ups $8.o0 to ship the stupid thing for nothing. What are some of you guys doing? I have seen a ton of conversions using aftermarket gauges so I know that there is a way to make it work I just havent figured it out yet. Remember I am using the stock GM fuel pump with built in sender from the 05 5.3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/1sick66/
Old 04-26-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

is the sender grounded?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Teching In

yeah I have checked it twice!! I was on autometers website and according to their own info GM stopped using the 0E 90F sender in 97. So I am confused why they would send me that gauge in the first place not to mention the first time I sent it was because they told me the 0E 90F would not work and now that is supposed to be right. Im just confused (not that that is saying much)
Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt get mine to work either... Im using a 99 LS1 f-body tank. Sent it back for the reverse air core, and it moved the right way, but at 1/2 on the gauge my tank was empty.

So...I bit the bullet and ordered the programmable one. Really nice piece. You install it, hook it up, and it has two wires that you either touch together for input or put on a momentary switch.

You put the gauge into program mode with the tank at or near empty. hit it to tell it you want that point to be E... then fill your tank. Hit it again to say this is full. Bingo youre done. I programmed mine to read E when I still have around 2 gallons. Just as a small buffer.

Its alittle $$$...but worth it to me, because its less hassle. The money you spent sendin it back and forth to autometer probably would have paid for the new gauge.

Just my .02...

Justin

P.S. here is what the prog. fuel level gauge looks like

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 04-27-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ghetto, that is COOL! I have not ever run accross a gauge like that, but that sure would be the most accurate.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah like I said, you pay for the coolness...but it really is the easiest way to solve the problem. And you can adjust it whenever you want. If you want to have 5 gallons left when you are at E, you can do it. If you want the tank to be bone dry at E you can do it. If you change tanks, you can still use the gauge. Its nice to have teh adjustability.

The movement can go in either direction and it doesnt matter what the sender is.

I got it from jegs I think... Around $105 or something. I figured if I sold me other gauge it will eat up SOME of the cost. But the ease of install and knowing that my gauge is right makes it worth it.

Justin
Old 04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info Ghetto I am so tired of feeding the ups guy money for shipping and getting nothing in return. I found out today that the factory 05 sending unit reads 40E and 250F I have no freakin clue why those dumb asses turned my gauge back to a 0E 90F. I have absolutely zero confidence in autometers tech dept. They jacked my tach up before all of this fuel gauge crap by saying they could convert it to read the data signal. After that didnt work they said oh yeah your gonna have to send it back get it calibrated back to 12v AND buy a $90.00 tach adapter. DONT SEND YOUR STUFF TO THE GUYS IN ILLINOIS THEY WILL ONLY COST YOU MONEY!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...their tech told me I had to reverse the air core in my gauge...and they were right about that. But when I called again to say that it still wasnt working, they tried to tell me i need the 0-90 sender. I tried to explain as politely as possible that they were dead wrong....but how polite can you be when you are talking to someone that is a rep. for the leader in aftermarket gauges and they dont know what they are talking about?

Anyway...the new gauge works perfect. Im not sure what style autometers you are using, but Im sure they have a prog. one for you...

Justin
Old 04-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Unfortunatly they dont offer my series (arctic white) whith the programmable fuel gauge. They do however make it in the ultra-lite series in white. Not perfect but close enough for me. I just want the thing to work!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I noticed that you have your gauge bezels hidden behind a piece of trim. Which looks really great by the way...nice job! Just grab whatever one will match your guage face the closest. Or...you can try to call them and see if they will put an artic face on one of the gauges...maybe they will hook you up. Either way I dont think it will look bad. 90% of the people that see your dash that close will never notice.

Have any more pictures of your truck and of your dash set up??? Great looking truck and the interior is nice and clean too..

J.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Teching In

As soon as I get the dash back together I will send you a few better pictures of it.
Hey Ghetto do you know if your gauge will program in reverse? I figured out last night that the fuel system wiring for the 05 has a loop back to the pcm and you have to use a chasis ground instead of the system ground for the sender and you have to unhook the sender wire from the pcm as well. ( I had already done this but not the seperate ground) From what I can tell the sender must be around 240E and 0F because curently with 1/4 of a tank it is reading around 188 ohms so I wondered if the gauge would read a reverse sweep. Thanks for all of the info.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey man. The prog. gauge will go any way you want it to. You tell it when your tank is empty, then fill it, and tell it that its full, and there is your range.

So your range can be 0-90 or 80-420 or 13-85 or 92-7....its infinite. The gauge has a little PC board and electronics instead of the basic innards of the other non-prog gauges...so it can learn whatever it needs to...

More pics would be great!! good luck man!

Justin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Issues. HELP!!!!