Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

not the ordinary headlight motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not the ordinary headlight motor problem

This isn't your usual "my headlights are making a grinding noise when i put them up/down" question. I recently bought a rebuild kit for my 99' T/A to replace the plastic gear with a brass one. Everything went great at first but when I went to raise/lower my headlights only one of them worked. Now the guy's internet site where I got these from said they might not work right away and to cycle them a couple of times and then they should. It still didn't work. I checked the fuses for both lights and they were good. the motor didn't sound like it was getting power or something because it didn't move at all. I even took the headlight back off to make sure the motor was plugged back in properly and it was fine. I don't know if maybe when I was tapping the metal tabs on the motor housing back so it wouldn't wobble that i messed something up but that doesn't make any sense to me. I highly doubt the rebuild itself had anything to do with this and that I just messed something up. If anyone has an answer that would be great cuz I DON'T want to have to buy another damn motor.

by the way, here's that site, he' got the brass gears and a quick fix guide too
www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/
Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

I have heard of this problem before. I believe the problem is the actual 'worm gear' if you will, inside of the headlight motor. This is the gear that meshes with the new brass gear you installed to raise and lower the headlight. Over time the 'worm gear' wears down to a point where it does not mesh correctly with whatever other gear is in there whether the original plastic gear or the brass replacement gear. The only way I know of fixing the problem is just buying an entirely new motor assembly.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Teching In

I was afraid of that. I guess i couldn't come to grips with having to get another unit. I'll try some more troubleshooting but i'm probably gonna have to fork out some money I don't want to. Thanks for the info.