LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anti Freeze Everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anti Freeze Everywhere!!

So i take my 93 z28 out of the garage today. leave it outside a minute or two to warm up. I drive out and it seems a little funky but i get to the lights and wait. it turns green and i go now i have an m6 and so i start goin doesn't really want to grab first but its not too bad so i put it into second and step on the gas and there is like a pop or small backfire type sound then silence for like 1/4 - 1/2 a second and then it goes in and sounds normal this happens everytime. After a little bit of driving it seems to be getting a bit better. But then my check gauge light comes on and it does not want to go anywhere off the line. It feels like i was starting off in 5th or something. Then my service engine light comes on. My oil pressure was abnormally high as well. So i pull over and get out and my antifreeze starts pouring out under the car.

My uncle comes down with some water and we fill up the rad run it at idle for a bit and it's fine. i follow him back a couple mins to his house and the car is running ok. Checked it out and discovered the previous owner cut up the top of the antifreeze overflow container to fit in a different battery. Well any way the seel is broken at the top and thats where all the anti freeze was coming out. But i don't know why it overflowed that much anyway. wierd. Any thoughts on that?

Tomorrow i'm gonna try and find a good one from a junk yard or something and we will see what happens.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:17 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

"My oil pressure was abnormally high as well"

Blown head gasket? Check your oil.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

well put the new overflow in today and changed the rotors and pads. Seems to be running fine but the oil pressure seems a little high. Might be cause i just switched oils. Previous owner told me he was using castrol 10w-30 and i switched to mobil 1 10-w30. I think i might try mobil 1 or royal purple 5w-30 and see what happens. Only problem is that **** adds up. spent $500 today already.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

i'm new to the lt1 scene. Previous owner had the car dynoed at 415rwhp. I really am not sure what thickness of oil is good for what type of engine. or is it trial and error? What is a good oil pressure to have at idle and pressure to have while you are driving?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

well i've been reading and apparently a number of people idle at 40-45 psi usually and mine is idleing at around 35-45 but i have to keep an eye on it. It goes up to around 60psi when i'm driving. Haven't been driving it hard so next time i give er a bit i'm gonna watch to see.