Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Who else wants the new crate motor ls3 435hp V8 in their C5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who else wants the new crate motor ls3 435hp V8 in their C5?

2008 Chevy Corvette revealed with new 6.2L LS3 V8 and up to 436 hp
Posted Apr 27th 2007 1:49AM by John Neff

Everything inside and out has been breathed on, but the headlining story is the LS3 engine. The combination of "Corvette," "more displacement," and "more horsepower" is the kind of word play that makes everyone's heart sing, and GM hasn't disappointed. The previous 6.0-liter becomes 6.2, and those 376 cubic inches equate to 430 hp, with torque bumped up to 424 lb-ft. In addition, there's a new high-flow cylinder head, larger valves, an acoustically-tuned intake manifold, and new beauty covers that, of course, say LS3. If you need even more hp, a dual-stage exhaust system is available, half an inch smaller than the Z06 version, that utilizes butterflies in the two inner pipes. The exhaust adds another 6 hp and 4 lb-ft, but even better, it adds the kind of raucous, popping exhaust note -- even on the automatic -- that let's everyone know you mean business. With all the mods, the top speed of the base Corvette gets up to 190 mph.

Inside, the sport shift has been retuned for quicker shifts and a more sporting feel, and offers a 0-60 time in just 4.3 seconds. There are also two full interior leather options, in Sienna and Linen, that raise the bar in the Corvette interior to that appraoching its titular competition.

for 2008

All-new LS3 6.2L V-8 engine for Coupe and Convertible:
430 hp (321 kW)*
424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm)*
436 hp / 428 lb.-ft. (325 kW / 580 Nm)* with new, optional dual-mode exhaust system
High-flow cylinder heads
Enhanced valvetrain
High-flow intake manifold
Larger-bore block with structural enhancements
Improved manual transmission shift effort
Quicker shift times on paddle-shift six-speed automatic
2.73 performance axle ratio available with six-speed paddle shift; included with Z51 package
Improved steering feel
Standard split-spoke cast aluminum wheel design for Coupe and Convertible (Competition Gray finish optional)
Available polished forged aluminum wheel design
New Keyless Access remote key fob with integrated key
Interior trim enhancements for all models, including wrapped center trim plate with Cyber pattern and new, brushed aluminum accents
Custom Leather-Wrapped Interior Package available for all models in exclusive, new Linen and Sienna colors
New sill plates
iPod/MP3 jack included on all sound systems except navigation (Personal Audio Link available as accessory for navigation system)
OnStar and XM Satellite Radio standard on all models
Auto-dimming mirrors with compass standard on all models
Two new premium exterior colors: Jetstream Blue Metallic Tintcoat and Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat

2008 CORVETTE: ICONIC SPORTS CAR RECIEVES LARGER, MORE POWERFUL LS3 6.2L V-8 AND HOST OF DRIVING, INTERIOR REFINEMENTS

Get comfortable. There's so much new and exciting with the 2008 Corvette that you'll want to grab a hot drink, sidle up to your computer screen and absorb all the details.

The changes involve everything from an all-new, larger and more powerful V-8 engine to refinements in driving characteristics that solidify the Corvette's position as the preeminent American sports car – and further the argument that it is one of the world's best. There are also a host of exterior and interior refinements that raise the Corvette's luxury status and enhance the feeling of craftsmanship.

"Corvette is an uncompromising sports car that rewards its owners with impeccable performance and great comfort," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "The changes and enhancements to the 2008 Corvette reflect continual improvements that speak to Chevrolet's unflagging commitment to building the best sports car – and with nearly 55 years of experience, the Corvette just keeps getting better and better."

Here's a look at the new and enhanced features for '08 Corvette models:

Engine – A new, 6.2L LS3 small-block V-8 is the standard engine in Coupe and Convertible models. It is rated at 430 horsepower (321 kW)* and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (586 Nm)* with the standard exhaust system; with the new, optional two-mode exhaust system, power ratings increase to 436 horses / 325 kW and 428 lb.-ft. / 592 Nm. As a result, the standard Corvette is true supercar, capable of 190 mph. The LS3 with the six-speed paddle-shift automatic is the fastest automatic-equipped Corvette ever, with 0-60 mph capability of 4.3 seconds.

This new iteration of the storied small-block family features a revised, larger-bore cylinder block – 4.06-inch / 103.25 mm vs. the previous 6.0L's 4.00-inch / 101.62 mm bores – high-flow, LS7/L92-style cylinder heads; larger-diameter pistons; revised camshaft and camshaft timing; revised valvetrain with offset intake rocker arms; high-flow intake manifold; high-flow fuel injectors from the Z06's LS7 engine; and a new engine beauty cover.

The LS3 features an aluminum cylinder block with cast iron cylinder liners. In addition to its larger bores, which help create a 376-cubic-inch displacement, the block casting also features revisions and machining in the bulkheads that enhance its strength and improved bay to bay breathing. But while the bore of the 6.2L engine is increased when compared with the previous 6.0L engine, the engine's stroke remains at 3.62 inches (92 mm). The pistons for the larger 6.2L engine also are new and are designed for its high-rpm performance capability.

Breathing for the new 6.2L engine is accomplished via new, high-flow cylinder heads. They're based on the large port/large valve design found on the LS7 engine and other GM L92 engines, with larger-capacity, straighter intake ports. The design optimizes intake flow to the combustion chamber and the exhaust ports are also designed for better flow.

Complementing the larger-port design of the heads are commensurately sized valves. The intake valve size alone increases from 2.00 inches (50.8 mm) to 2.16 inches (55 mm) – an increase of nearly 9 percent. The intake valves feature lightweight hollow stems, which enable the engine's 6,600-rpm capability. The exhaust valves also are large, measuring 1.60 inches (40.4 mm) in diameter.

To accommodate the engine's large valves and enable more direct intake port flow, the intake-side rocker arms are offset 6 mm between the valve tip and the push rod. Actuating the valves is a new camshaft, with intake-side lobes providing more than a 5-percent percent in increase in lift, from 0.521-inch to 0.551-inch (13.25 mm to 14 mm). Exhaust-valve lift remains unchanged from the LS2. The camshaft timing was revised to optimize performance with the higher-lift intake cam profile.

Ensuring the cylinder heads receive all the air they can handles falls to a new, acoustically tuned intake manifold. The composite design is manufactured with a "lost core" process that improves runner to runner variation and reduces airflow losses. An acoustic foam material is used to reduce radiated engine noise; it is sandwiched between the outer top of the manifold and an additional "skull cap" acoustic shell. Also new beauty covers atop the engine shield the rocker covers and also feature a noise-reducing, acoustically tuned insert to provide a more refined engine sound.

Exhaust system – Optional on '08 Coupe and Convertible models is a new, two-mode performance exhaust system. Similar in design and function to the system used on the Z06, the dual-mode exhaust uses vacuum-actuated outlet valves, which control engine noise during low-load operation, but open for maximum performance during high-load operation. It is not identical to the Z06 system; the Coupe/Convertible uses a 2.5-inch-diameter exhaust, while the Z06 uses a three-inch system.

With the new, dual-mode performance exhaust, power output for Coupe/Convertible rises from 430 horsepower (321 kW) and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm) to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm). This system gives the Corvette a more aggressive exhaust sound character that will appeal to performance enthusiasts.

Transmissions and axle ratios – The shifting efforts for both the six-speed manual transmission and paddle-shift six-speed automatic transmissions have been improved in '08 Corvette models. The manual transmission shifting improvements include a more positive and direct feel during gear changes, with better gate-to-gate location.

The six-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission on Coupe and Convertible is improved with new hardware and a new controller calibration that deliver quicker shifts. This change bolsters the feeling of performance and driver control when using the shifting paddles.

Also new for '08 models is the availability of the 2.73 performance axle ratio with the automatic transmission. It is included with the Z51 package.

Steering system – The Corvette's precise rack-and-pinion steering system is revised to provide improved feel at all speeds. The revisions are due to a new, premium machining process of the system's internal components, a new, stiffer intermediate shaft and controller calibration changes.

Feature changes and enhancements – All Corvette models now come standard with features that were previously optional or part of equipment packages. They include:

Corvette design and interior details

Dramatic fender forms and exposed headlamps combine with the grille to create a strong visual identity for the Corvette, while the tapered rear deck and fascia improve high-speed performance. The lean rear design sports round taillamps and center-exit exhaust. The fixed Xenon high-intensity discharge headlamps provide superior lighting performance. With a 0.286 coefficient of drag, the Coupe models are the most aerodynamic Corvettes ever.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting topic, its similar to the l92.. when are they gonna be available at SDPC, TSP and other vendors?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

There s something to be said for a GM crate motor with 435hp right out of the box..

Slap on some long tube headers I'd imagine 460hp is not too difficult with a GM warranty to boot.

I have to say I'm impressed...( I know you can go faster ...but that warranty sure would make for a great daily driver)

I'd be tempted to go that route if I needed a motor..(if it were priced right 5500 and worked as a drop in)
Old 04-27-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Should have waited on an 08. Love my 07 though.

That 2.73 ratio should help 6th gear performance not to mention the extra torque. Mine is a little bit sluggish in 6th with the 2.56.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be nice if I was buying an 08'... but its soo easy to get 460(na) out of an ls6 I probably wouldnt think of spending the kinda $$ they would want for that new engine....
Old 04-27-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the intake is going to be any better than the L76 I'm running with my L92 headed 403 now.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Any pics yet? Good pics that is.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice engine for a "base model" Corvette. I suppose the C5 Z06 guys will be saddened that their cars have officially become obsolete when the base Corvette should outperform their marque cars. 190 mph top speed is crazy!

Good news is that there will probably be a flood of used LS2 C6 cars on the market, since there are so many wishy-washy Corvette owners that can't settle for having the "old" version of a car.

The LS2 is still a bad ****!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

C6 gets more displacement and no announcement about the Zo6 getting either more displacement or a bump in compression and rpms for more power. Looks like the 2008 C6 might be the route to go vs a c6 Zo6. I am willing to bet that GM has something up there sleeve. They wouldn't increase base corvette power without increasing the Zo6 power level. Hmm, we will have to wait and see.

Any pricing on the 2008 c6 yet ??
Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Nice engine for a "base model" Corvette. I suppose the C5 Z06 guys will be saddened that their cars have officially become obsolete when the base Corvette should outperform their marque cars. 190 mph top speed is crazy!

Good news is that there will probably be a flood of used LS2 C6 cars on the market, since there are so many wishy-washy Corvette owners that can't settle for having the "old" version of a car.

The LS2 is still a bad ****!

You are correct Nine Ball. Should be some good deals available.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty nifty, seems like the L92.

Saddened? Bah... all the more reason to mod! who you kiddin'!!

besides... C5's got curves
Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
C6 gets more displacement and no announcement about the Zo6 getting either more displacement or a bump in compression and rpms for more power. Looks like the 2008 C6 might be the route to go vs a c6 Zo6. I am willing to bet that GM has something up there sleeve. They wouldn't increase base corvette power without increasing the Zo6 power level. Hmm, we will have to wait and see.

Any pricing on the 2008 c6 yet ??
Uhhhhh....

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._corvette_z07/
Old 04-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

sounds good to me
Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have an idea of the prices??? compatible with the 07's or quite a bit more $$? I'll definitely be interested if you can get one for what the 07's are selling for! But with the newer technology of the LS3, GM will probably want to cover their R&D costs.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw somewhere that msrp would be about 1k higher than the current base model vette. Now I have to decide if I should sell my Z06 for an 08 Z51
Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the rate that GM is pumping out new and improved designs is great for everyone . I also think that the people that have to be better and faster than anyone else are using their cars as their source of happiness--a great way to lead an insecure life. Cars are just cars and there's always someone faster. Besides, most of the people that decide to cut and run can't cut a light and are dyno warriors .
Old 04-27-2007, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Me likes
Old 04-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Launching!

I think I'll still hold off and see what the C7 has to offer with power and looks and then make my decesion. Untill then I'll just keep modding the hell out of my C5
Old 04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

All the corvettes are cool cars..Its just amazing what GM is able to pull out of these 100K mile capable motors, emissions legal and also get the fuel economy necessary for the government.

If my ls6 took a dump..I'd consider throwing in the ls3 if it went in easy without having to tear it apart for the reluctor wheel etc...and it priced right...

As it stands now..I'd like to get an easy 100,000 miles out of a motor without thinking about it...especially if its got 460hp when hooked up with headers..

Give or take 20 hp thats dam close to what I have now...and if I could get trouble free miles at the right price I'd seriously consider it over a forged ls2 or l92..even though they make more hp for probably not much more money.

Not a flame to those who decide to go with the forged l92 or ls2...

I just sometimes like the idea of doing an oil change and thats it.

There 's a charm to it.

Add in the fact GM's got a base model kicking out at 190mph and zero to 60mph in 4.3 with an automatic tranny? Thats even more impressive...

Anybody here remember the 1985 C4 that rocked the world when it topped 150mph? I remember thinking holly crap! (and I don't drive 150 or 190 mph)

I think with the gearing on my car?I'm probably topping out at 163mph in fifth and maybe able to pull a little higher in sixth but not sure...

Top speed ratings are for bragging rights as far as I'm concerned..

The C5 does have a cool rawness to it compared to the more capable and more refined C6 with the ls3.

One thing I always know...there somebody faster and thats ok...

As long as I'm enjoying the ride!

Same goes for you.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96-speed
I think the rate that GM is pumping out new and improved designs is great for everyone . I also think that the people that have to be better and faster than anyone else are using their cars as their source of happiness--a great way to lead an insecure life. Cars are just cars and there's always someone faster. Besides, most of the people that decide to cut and run can't cut a light and are dyno warriors .
I agree with your first and last statement whole-heartedly; however, on the next statement, I think most of us enjoy our cars because we like them... we just enjoy the rush we get when we stomp on a 350+hp american muscle, and feel the adrenalin run through our veins...kinda gives us a grin and a woody at the same time; nothing out of the oridinary about that.

Quick Reply: Who else wants the new crate motor ls3 435hp V8 in their C5?