Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Centering rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Centering rear end

I'm surprised I didn't pull any threads up discussing this topic. I noticed today my rear end was a little un-centered. Shifted to the left a little. I know you adjust the PHB, but is there a "right" way to do this? Something precise and not "looks center to me."
Old 04-27-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

If you want it centered to the body then you can just tape a plumb bob from the quarter panel on both sides and measure the distance to the wheels and then adjust it.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd, there are many threads concerning this. The rear can be centered left to right using an adjustable Panhard Rod Bar and front to rear using adjustable Lower Control Arms.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ralls
I'm surprised I didn't pull any threads up discussing this topic. I noticed today my rear end was a little un-centered. Shifted to the left a little. I know you adjust the PHB, but is there a "right" way to do this? Something precise and not "looks center to me."
When I did my suspension, no one could tell me exactly how to physcially move the rearend to center it. I was told everything but how to do that lol. What I did was put the car on the ground to load the suspension with the aphr disconnected. Then I just pushed up and down and left and right and wiggled the back end of the car and it centered up. Adjusted the aphr and bolted it on. Don't know if there is a better method, but it worked for me.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

plumb bob taped to your wheel well and a adjustable panhard bar is the most widely used method that I have seen and I have also used this method
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Odd, there are many threads concerning this. The rear can be centered left to right using an adjustable Panhard Rod Bar and front to rear using adjustable Lower Control Arms.
What you said is exactly what was only brought up. I was wanting to know the correct and accurate method of measureing it center. I already knew you adjust the PHB.

Thanks guys for filling in my answers on how to center it. I'll try the plumb bob method since it is widely used. One thing though, I'm not 100% if my APHB can be adjusted while on the car. Don't think it can be. I haven't looked at it in a while. Here is what I have: http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...d0c4fdb42360b5
If I must take the PHB off, I would need to do it the way 11 Bravo did, wouldn't I?

EDIT: DOH! Just read "easiest to adjust on the car panhard bar on the market" in my link. :Sigh:
Old 04-28-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ralls
I'm not 100% if my APHB can be adjusted while on the car. Don't think it can be. I haven't looked at it in a while. Here is what I have: http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...d0c4fdb42360b5
If I must take the PHB off, I would need to do it the way 11 Bravo did, wouldn't I?

EDIT: DOH! Just read "easiest to adjust on the car panhard bar on the market" in my link. :Sigh:
Yeah, you won't have to do what I posted. I have a Hotchkis and it can't be adjusted while connected. Sorry.