Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

PA Inspection/Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PA Inspection/Emissions

so i'm almost do for inspection and emissions. well i've driven the car about 2300 miles and have proof i'm under 5000 miles a year and shops are giving me a hard time cuz they say they won't give me the exempt sticker cuz i have no cats. i shouldn't have 2 pass emissions since the car is 5000 exempt. i barely drive the car anybody know anybody around the Lehigh Valley area that would over look that and give me the exempt sticker. they say during the inspection if they saw no cats they would fail it. a guy that i no that would do it went out of business and now i'm screwed and refuse to put cats on my car for how much i drive it.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I get my inspected w/ no cats, since they don't have to look at anything really I don't think they even have to go under the car. No I was worried where I go would go out of bussines so I asked the jiff lube place where I got my oil changed if they pass me and they said yes. So my advice is drive to a jiffy lube center and just ask them if they'd pass you.
PS Is your check engine light on? If so then yea you might have a problem, mine is tuned out so I'm good.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

unfortunetly its required by federal law to have cats on a car...has nothing to do with the currant emissions program. all emissions equipment must be installed and in workin order as it came from the factory. however, mostly every shop will just plug it in and make sure theres no codes but as soon as they put it up in the air to do State, your screwed. gotta make some friends in high places...
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

alrite thanks guys i appreciate it. i have other back up plans. u gota always have back up plans 4 things like this lol. i have a month 2 play around with so i'll do some research.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Well they have to look at the car for stat inspection thats why they would see them. Technically you shouldn't fail for not having cats if you drive less than 5,000 miles but many mechanics can be dicks ( eek I am one ). I wouldn't give you **** for it though. When it comes to emissions I am not very strict, but for state inspections I am as it is a safety issue.

The 5,000 mile exempt rule is put in place for a reason, it is basically exempted your car from the required emissions inspection because it is on the road so little that its emissions are not a concern. The 5,000 mile exemption rule follows suit with the "classic car" and "antique car" registrations. If you want I can look up the law in my state book (wherever the **** that is) and give you it word for word.

The only problem is if you go in there and make the guy look like a fool for not knowing the laws he is suposedly licensed to enforce he could just give you more trouble by letting the authoritys know you have no cats which is still altered from "stock" form and thus illegal.

Uh.... yeah go to someone that doesnt give a ****, jiffy lube/midas/ etc.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Go get an emissions exempt stick somewhere then go get the safety inspection elsewhere. The exempt part they dont even need to look at the car.