Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Quality, Head Unit Power VS. Amp Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Quality, Head Unit Power VS. Amp Power

I am working on the stereo in the "beater" and got everything but the internal speakers, im going with some mid-high end kenwood 6x8s and have a kenwood 50x4 head unit. The speaker rms is like 20-70w with a peak of like 160w or so and i know the HU prob puts out maybe 20w rms. i was wondering how much better/louder the speakers would be if i got a 4-channel amp and stuck maybe 50-75w rms on them. I usually just use HU power and worry about HP/TQ not stereo wattage lol.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
High on diesel fumes

Tons better IMO. Nice speakers are only part of the equation, you have to have decent power to back them up too or else they won't sound much better than stock.

Also, my experience has been that it's always better to get an amp thats rated higher than the speakers. Then you can just turn the gain down nice and low on the amp to match the output you want. You're also less likely to damage speaker by overpowering them than by underpowering them.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i figured it would be a big difference, worth spending a little money on ordering an amp for them too. I dont run my amps full blast anyway, id rather spend a little extra getting a higher wattage and run at 60-70% Thanks, dig the truck boss!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pioneer makes a 65x4 rms or something like that last years model 100bucks on sonicelectronix.com ive put it in 2 cars and very satisified with it... for a budget setup its killer
Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunder550
Tons better IMO. Nice speakers are only part of the equation, you have to have decent power to back them up too or else they won't sound much better than stock.

Also, my experience has been that it's always better to get an amp thats rated higher than the speakers. Then you can just turn the gain down nice and low on the amp to match the output you want. You're also less likely to damage speaker by overpowering them than by underpowering them.
Most speakers are damaged from clipping, not from being overpowered.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 95bat
Most speakers are damaged from clipping, not from being overpowered.
That's what I meant by being less likely to damage them by overpowering.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

clipping and overpowering are two different things.
It's like saying "I meant oranges when I said apples."
Old 04-27-2007, 07:37 PM
High on diesel fumes

You're also less likely to damage speaker by overpowering them than by underpowering them.
How bout I change this around to read:

You're also more likely to damage speakers by underpowering them than by overpowering them.

Underpowering = clipping. You and I are saying the exact same thing
Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol if we're saying the same thing, you're saying it in totally different terms than I am.

-underpowering doesn't exist. You can't give a speaker too little power.
-overpowering is when you pass the thermal or mechanical limits of the speaker.
-clipping can happen both under a speaker's RMS rating and over its RMS rating. It is totally dependent upon the amp and head unit. If you have the gains on the amp too high and the head unit volume too loud you can clip the signal no matter if the amp is putting out 40 watts or 4000 watts.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
High on diesel fumes

When you put an underpowered amp or head unit on a speaker the natural tendency is to crank the gain until you get the volume you want, which potentially leads to signal clipping and a blown speaker. That is what I have been getting at. Underpowering = more likely to blow a speaker. As I said, we're saying the same thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you mean: "By running an amplifier that is underpowered (underpowered in that it cannot provide the power you need efficiently), clipping is introduced."
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you put an underpowered amp or head unit on a speaker the natural tendency is to crank the gain until you get the volume you want, which potentially leads to signal clipping and a blown speaker. That is what I have been getting at. Underpowering = more likely to blow a speaker. As I said, we're saying the same thing.
I should have read how you meant it -- you worded it strange the first time I think....I think that's also partially how rumors get started that "feeding a speaker too little power will damage them".
Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And feeding your fat girlfriend too little will get yourself damaged
Old 04-27-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
And feeding your fat girlfriend too little will get yourself damaged
so will feeding her too much....
Old 04-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 key word is distortion
Old 04-28-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout I change this around to read:

You're also more likely to damage speakers by underpowering them than by overpowering them.

Wrong. Underpowering and clipping are different. I can put some monster sub with a low efficiency and high power handling on a 1W amp and it's underpowered even if I don't clip it. The correct way to say it is that underpowering often leads to clipping. Fred seems to also have it right.

Anyway, I think it's hard to generalize whether clipping or overpowering more often damages speakers. It really depends on the setup. Given that stock head-units are usually pretty weak, though, it may be true that clipping is generally the culprit in that case.

Whether you "need" an amp really depends on you. Turn your system up as high as it'll go before clipping (you'll need an o-scope to tell if you can't hear it, but you should be able to hear it) - if you want louder than that, get an amp. Don't screw around, minimum of 100W no matter what. Just make sure you set the gain appropriately.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Wrong. Underpowering and clipping are different. I can put some monster sub with a low efficiency and high power handling on a 1W amp and it's underpowered even if I don't clip it. The correct way to say it is that underpowering often leads to clipping. Fred seems to also have it right.

Anyway, I think it's hard to generalize whether clipping or overpowering more often damages speakers. It really depends on the setup. Given that stock head-units are usually pretty weak, though, it may be true that clipping is generally the culprit in that case.

Whether you "need" an amp really depends on you. Turn your system up as high as it'll go before clipping (you'll need an o-scope to tell if you can't hear it, but you should be able to hear it) - if you want louder than that, get an amp. Don't screw around, minimum of 100W no matter what. Just make sure you set the gain appropriately.
Just so long as we're clear that sending low (but undistorted) power to a speaker will never damage the speaker. People get the mistaken impression that underpowering a speaker will cause damage when it's really that using an underpowered amp can cause speaker damage. You can't possibly damage a speaker by sending it low, clean power - otherwise merely turning down the volume (reducing the power) would damage speakers.

Quick Reply: Sound Quality, Head Unit Power VS. Amp Power