Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear end not centered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end not centered?

I just installed a Spohn 405R adjustable torque arm. I set the pinion angle at -1 and went for a ride. When I flick the gas I hear BANG!!! Like scare the crap outta ya BANG!!
I put car on the lift and the top of the torque arm is hitting the floor where it bolts to the rear end on the drivers side, enough to put a good size dent in the floor.
Well thinking this is odd I look at the back of the car and the rear is is sitting about 1 inch toward the drivers side comparing the wheel wells. I bought the car new and it has never been in an accident. Would an adjustable panhard bar move the rear end over and stop the bang? Is the rearend being to one side normal?
Thanks....
Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

on the gto's they have problems with rear end being aligned in the centered. for example when i put tires on in the rear that are too big for the car, the driver's side always rubs and the passenger side does not. i was told by a body shop when i had my fenders trimmed that with all the cars that come in for the fenders to be trimmed, the driver side is always the worse (in tire rub).

i guess your car was made on a monday or a friday. it might have left the plant not aligned perfectly, but it probably met their spec requirement.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Center it with the adjustable panhard bar. Then hit a few more good bumps and everything will make room for itself if more is needed.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like what was said above, the APHB will help, but it might not solve the problem. Reason is the the 12bolt housing is much bigger than a 10 bolt and moves the TQ arm closer to the floor.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

I should probably modify the floor over the arm and rear end. I was going to modify the arm and diff to use the holes for the 9" rear. That would move it away from the floor.

Quick Reply: Rear end not centered?