Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is this set-up going to crack?? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this set-up going to crack?? (pics)

Thought I would post some pics to see what everyone is thinking about the way Im setting up my system. I dont want to use any flexable "links" till I get down by the trans. Im going to be running a brace off the frame (bumper brackets area), and using hump hose off my intake discharge hole to help support the weight. I am running poly engine mounts.

Im also wondering about adding a brace from the DP to the WG exit flange? Would this help keep things tighter, and less likely to crack?

OBTW - Everything is made from mild steel.

Thanks - Ron
Old 04-28-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16 guage?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes.

Ron
Old 04-28-2007, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as everything is solidly mounted,like solid motormount's and your turbo's are solidly mounted and not hanging in mid air you should be fine?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
As long as everything is solidly mounted,like solid motormount's and your turbo's are solidly mounted and not hanging in mid air you should be fine?
I will be running a mount off the frame with a 2 1/2" tube. Between the bracket and the out let of the turbo will be a hump hose. Will that be enough to absorb the shock of the road? Or due I NEED a soild motor mount. What do you think of the DP set-up?

Thanks - Ron
Old 04-28-2007, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

My twin setup has solid motormount's and then the turbo's have a brace on them that go's to the front .That way the whole setup move's when the car flex's.The cold pipe's on mine have the coupler's and hump hose's as well.Just as long as when your engine or chasis move's your hot part's go with it,unless you have a flex hose in there somewhere.Hope this help's?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

The only way you are going to be guaranteed that nothing cracks is if you use solid mounts at the turbos and for the motor. With the weight of the turbos being so far out they have stress on them.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

with that much heat everything will crack, especially mild steel, BUT havign as much mounting/support will buy you time.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
with that much heat everything will crack, especially mild steel, BUT havign as much mounting/support will buy you time.
Hows come did FI and Speed Inc. both tell me to use mild steel for the street??? They BOTH said that SS gets real brittle after a few heat cycles, and should be used on a race only set-up. They said with road inperfections ( pot holes, bumps, etc...) the mild steel headers will hold up much better.

Ron
Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
Hows come did FI and Speed Inc. both tell me to use mild steel for the street??? They BOTH said that SS gets real brittle after a few heat cycles, and should be used on a race only set-up. They said with road inperfections ( pot holes, bumps, etc...) the mild steel headers will hold up much better.

Ron
The info you have here is correct...stainless moves around alot and will crack before mild on a street car with alot of heat cycles.

The main problem is where the turbos are located...when you go to try and add some kind of support via the compressor when the motor torques and rests its going to put stress on them as well.

IMO, you have two choices:

Finish it and run it and see what happens

Go ahead and soild mount the motor as well as the turbos and just as long as everything is solid(frame rail to motor mount) it will be ok.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
The info you have here is correct...stainless moves around alot and will crack before mild on a street car with alot of heat cycles.

The main problem is where the turbos are located...when you go to try and add some kind of support via the compressor when the motor torques and rests its going to put stress on them as well.

IMO, you have two choices:

Finish it and run it and see what happens

Go ahead and soild mount the motor as well as the turbos and just as long as everything is solid(frame rail to motor mount) it will be ok.
I would run soild motor mounts if need, but wouldnt the shock from the road be a little harsh on the system? I was gonna run a brace, mounted soild to my frame. Than betwwen the mount and turbo I would use hump hose to the discharge outlet. I though that would help support the turbos, yet let them (the system) move, and also dampen any road vibrations. Its kinda hard to explain. Follow me?

Thanks - Ron
Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Solid mounts would keep everything tight.

Quick Reply: Is this set-up going to crack?? (pics)