Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Confirming my thoughts on the Monsoon Faq Sticky...

Old 04-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confirming my thoughts on the Monsoon Faq Sticky...

Okay, first of all, I'm sorry. I'm new at this and had a question on the sail speakers... I bought speakers for the sails and they have 2 prongs where as the stockers have 4. I read on the faq sheet to cut the wires from the old speakers, saving the harness, and using the longer pair of wires to connect to the new speakers? Have I interpreted that correctly or have I missed it? I have no idea and would gladly appreciate a nudge in the right direction...
Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you've got it down to me. Just make sure not to screw up the polarity or your bass will suffer.

By the way, I assume you bought woofers, not full-ranges?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

I bought Alpine coaxials, is that a bad thing?? Oh and I realize that without rewiring i can't use the tweeter. I just bought them before I figured that out. Oh and I don't understand the thing about polarity, how do I do that?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Born_Ready99
I bought Alpine coaxials, is that a bad thing?? Oh and I realize that without rewiring i can't use the tweeter. I just bought them before I figured that out. Oh and I don't understand the thing about polarity, how do I do that?
Yes that was bad thing.

The sail panel speakers are the subs in the monsoon system. Putting coaxials there means the tweeter will not work and the woofer is only going to pick up bass notes. And will not do it well, as coaxil speakers are not made to handle subwoofer frequencies.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably not going to sound all that great that way
Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Getting the polarity correct just means making sure the positive wire goes on the positive speaker terminal and likewise with the negative. It won't hurt anything if you get them reversed but the sound won't be as good. What you especially want to avoid is having them correct on one side and reversed on the other. This is called "out of phase" and it causes the two speakers to cancel each other out somewhat - reducing the quality of the sound even more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confirming my thoughts on the Monsoon Faq Sticky...