Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem removing master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem removing master cylinder

I'm trying to do the drill mod using the InstallUniversity.com instructions - I've gotten as far as disconnecting the braided line from the tranny and unbolted and unclipped the cylinder rod (ie: step 12 if you've read the instructions). I cannot for the life of me get the damn thing out of the car, the end of the cylinder where the braided line joins on binds on the steering plus the plastic white reservoir is caught on the brake booster.

I've been able to get the u-bolt out, thinking that it'd make things easier but no dice. Plus, the reservoir doesn't seem to fit behind/underneath the brake booster, I can't swing it around the front because there seems to be a metal clip on the bottom of the booster holding a big-*** wire loom.

I've been tempted to pay one of the 12-year-olds in the neighbourhood to help me out, my big fat meathooks do not help this task one bit. Is there something stupid I'm missing? Enough of you have successfully pulled this off so it's gotta be something I'm doing wrong.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I did this only last week...

the resevoir can be "manuvered" in the gap between the booster and the bracket, just play with different angles, the trick is to ensure the rubber line is on the other side of the booster, just play with the cables and hoses until you can shove it to the other side.

Pull the braided line out of that area so that way it's pretty much within view of you. Once done, you should be able to manuver the master out by just playing with the angles. The master itself has lots of play with the connecting rod so don't be afraid to compress and bend and manuver till it comes out.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have big *** hands also. i just said the hell with it and removed the booster good luck
Old 04-29-2007, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

I managed to get it out, sweet baby Jesus was that a pain in the ***. Once I was able to get the reservoir behind the brake booster I had more maneuverability with the cylinder and was eventually able to wiggle it free, still took ~15 minutes of screwing with it. I'm a little worried as to how I'm gonna get this thing back _on_ the car, I think pulling the brake booster is my only option if I want to save my sanity and to keep the kids next door from hearing some new words...

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

why didn't you just remove the white resivour from the hose? then all you have to get through there is the hose..........? I would advise doing the same thing on the way back in. You should not have to take the brake booster off at all. there is TONS of room. LOL I have done this about 25 times and never had to take the booster off. just my .02
Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Hi, I just went thru this a few days ago. Think removing it is a pita? Wait. Hire the kid next door. Doable on replacing it. Ugly on feeling what you can't see. I angled it in, engine side by the shock tower. Got the rod thru the hole, then moved the resivoir close to the bracket for it. I didn't remove the resivoir. No need, it will snake thru by the top, to the bracket, don't attach it yet to the bracket. Replacing it, lining up the bolts to the holes. Takes 2 ppl. One inside directing you to line up the bolts. I did a post on Bleeding Q, read the bleeding of the master part. It's easyer. To keep the U bolt in to have something to grab onto when you re-install. Start one bolt in & have to twist a bit to line up the 2nd & push it in. Master, when installed, angles up a bit, the plate is angled on it to go vertical on the firewall. Other person puts the nuts on while your holding it in. Just be patient, go for the hole closest to the engine to lineup 1st. Took both of us 20-30 min to just get it in position. Inner plate had to be pushed up slightly to line up with the bolt holes. Feel for you. Getting out the shavings from the drill mod. 2 ppl again. I used a squease bottle, pointy tip. Filled with brake fluid & a small screwdriver to hold the pin down. Messy but works. Flush a bit, then keep tapping the drilled end into your palm. Any shavings will show up to look at. Flush somemore. Tap. Keep going till you don't see any more shavings come out. Dave
Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by homegrown TA
why didn't you just remove the white resivour from the hose? then all you have to get through there is the hose..........?
You know, I considered doing that but I was worried about getting brake fluid all over the place. Even after draining the reservoir the hose would still have been full of fluid and I didn't want to risk getting it everywhere.

Originally Posted by locodave46
I did a post on Bleeding Q, read the bleeding of the master part. It's easyer.
I'll check that out, thanks!

Quick Reply: Problem removing master cylinder