Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Question on removing transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on removing transmission

I am trying to remove my tranny using the instructions from install university, but I am hung up at one step. Once the 8 15mm bolts holding the tranny to the bell housing are removed, the tranny is supposed to slide back to get to 2 10mm bolts. I can not get it to slide. Is there a trick to sliding it back, or is it supposed to be difficult? Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive had my trans out a couple times and dont remember any 10mm bolts that you have to side he trans back to get to. try turning it and pulling it back that what i had to do since it hit my trans tunnel......stupid question but you have the shifter off and torque arm, and crossmember?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Just disconnect the clutch line at the quick-disconnect , the slave will come out with the trans. I'm in the middle of a clutch swap as we speak.
You must tilt the engine back, I did till it bottomed out on the firewall slid it back and turned the trans I think counter-clockwise a little and presto!
I hope this helps

Last edited by fuel man; 04-29-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this the first time the tranny has ever been disconnected from the bell housing? If it is, it'll be a bitch to get it off. A rubber mallet and a flathead screwdriver is all you need and just start
Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pro2low
ive had my trans out a couple times and dont remember any 10mm bolts that you have to side he trans back to get to. try turning it and pulling it back that what i had to do since it hit my trans tunnel......stupid question but you have the shifter off and torque arm, and crossmember?
Yes, everthing is disconnected and the shifter is removed.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fuel man
Just disconnect the clutch line at the quick-disconnect , the slave will come out with the trans. I'm in the middle of a clutch swap as we speak.
You must tilt the engine back, I did till it bottomed out on the firewall slid it back and turned the trans I think counter-clockwise a little and presto!
I hope this helps
Do you have any support under the engine, or is it hanging free from the engine mounts back?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Is this the first time the tranny has ever been disconnected from the bell housing? If it is, it'll be a bitch to get it off. A rubber mallet and a flathead screwdriver is all you need and just start
This is the first time out. Where did you place the screw driver?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by berger21
This is the first time out. Where did you place the screw driver?

Yea that's your problem, the first time is a bitch to get it disconnected. Just take the flat head and put it anywhere a little gap is between the bell housing and tranny. Make sure the tranny is supported for safety reasons. Once you get the screwdriver in just keep applying pressure and it will jolt loose. There's two stubs that helps guide and keeps it in place on the tranny. That's what it's stuck on. Keep at it, it'll come losse.

When you get to the slave...try not to disconnect the slave line. If you can keep it connected that will save you from not having to bleed the clutch (that's if you don't want to). The 2 10mm bolts are easy to get to once the tranny can slide back.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Yea that's your problem, the first time is a bitch to get it disconnected. Just take the flat head and put it anywhere a little gap is between the bell housing and tranny. Make sure the tranny is supported for safety reasons. Once you get the screwdriver in just keep applying pressure and it will jolt loose. There's two stubs that helps guide and keeps it in place on the tranny. That's what it's stuck on. Keep at it, it'll come losse.

When you get to the slave...try not to disconnect the slave line. If you can keep it connected that will save you from not having to bleed the clutch (that's if you don't want to). The 2 10mm bolts are easy to get to once the tranny can slide back.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the side of the bellhousing where it meets the gear box at about 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock there are actually indentations where you can fit a screwdriver or pry bar in. Try and use these because, if you significantly damage the mating surface betwee the gear box and the bellhousing you can mess up the input shaft alignment.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike44138
If you look at the side of the bellhousing where it meets the gear box at about 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock there are actually indentations where you can fit a screwdriver or pry bar in. Try and use these because, if you significantly damage the mating surface betwee the gear box and the bellhousing you can mess up the input shaft alignment.

I found the indentations and it popped right out.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Question on removing transmission