Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused?

Old 04-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused?

I am going to do a LS motor and 6 speed into an 1964 to 1972 a-body car.
I haven't picked a motor or car yet. I've searched and found conflicting stories ls & t56 in a-body does a hole have to be cut in tunnel to fit the tranny in, not just for the shifter. Is truck or car motor accessories clear the crossmember or is motification necessary?
Thanks for your responses
Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

COzmo, there are some PDF of a few A body build ups at S&P.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you just seach for post/threads on the A-Body guys, you will find more than enough information to help you in doing a Swap..

Depending on what mounts you use... that will give you the answer if you have to cut the trans tunnel. S&P mounts there engines a bit more forward and there for pulls the trans and bell housing out of the tunnel area more that if you use the BRP. Which is what style mounts used and had to cut the top of the tunnel off and rebuild it for clearance.

Again, for the style of adapater plates (S&P or BRP style) and with F-Body accessories... S&P adapter plates you have to relocate most if not all of the accessories due to the cross member and steering box. With the BRP style plates, you can use OEM accessories (but it is tight). The truck Accessories push out the pullies a bit more so.. they can be a problem depending on which style of adapters plates.

You can see my swap by using the link in my sig..
Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you use the S&P adapter plates, you will need to get some 71 chevelle 307 mounts. Not the fancy ones either, they won't fit. You will have to grind the back of them smooth, and may need to clearance the mount pedastala little bit to get a good fit. Transdapt, CPP, and a few others are making adapter plates with mounts for small blcoks, so you may want to look into your options. The CPP plates come with the mounts for $70. We are using the S&P's in an F-body, and while they look great, I wish they had fit better. Do check with S&P on coated headers though. The quality is outstanding, and the fit is amazing! Good price too. Probably the best piece we bought from them. I do recall seeing a few swaps with the T56 where you need to clearance the trans tunnel alittle for the reverse lockout assembly and the skipshift solenoid. This may come up, but should be pretty minor. We bought the premade rossmember from S&P, and while it is nice, it may not give you the best exhaust clearance. We are still deciding. If you have any talent with the wire-feed, buy on of the various kits and build your own crossmember. I don't know for sure about the A-Body, but in the Fbody without A/C, the Camaro acc. setup fits perfectly. A/C would have to be relocated, but we aren't using it anyway. If I recall, the A body steering gear is in front of the crossmember, this may give you problems with the alternator on the Camaro acc. routing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confused?