Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my cooling system plumbed right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is my cooling system plumbed right?

I'm wondering if my cooling system will circulate and cool properly the way I have it now. I have an LSX in my 81z28 and I'm using the stock 81 rad. The lower outlet on the ls1 waterpump, which has the thermostat, is connected to the rad's lower point on the passenger side of the car. The waterpump's upper outlet is connected to the upper point of the rad on the driver's side. The origional 81 waterpump was hooked up reversed to this, the thermostat side of the system went to the upper side of the rad and the outlet on the waterpump went to the lower side of the rad. I didn't think it mattered to the rad which side was which or the way the coolant flowed. Do I need a special radiator to make this work? I have run the car up to temp but something didn't quite seem right and I'd like to know I'm fine with the way it's plumbed before I troubleshoot further.

Last edited by Zedzag; 04-29-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you have it right. Have you plumbed the vent tube from the heads into the system somewhere?

Pat
Old 04-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Yes, you have it right. Have you plumbed the vent tube from the heads into the system somewhere?

Pat
I drilled and tapped my waterpump and plumbed in the vent tube. I figured it was right but had to make sure. I guess I have some air and need to let it circulate for a while.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you fill the engine from the upper radiator hose? I had to do this to get the air out of the system on my car.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What he said ^^^ you must fill the coolant using the upper radiator hose before starting, or you're gonna be running your engine with no coolant until the thermostat opens up. I was shocked to see that my block took in literally an entire jug of coolant (multiple quarts) through the upper radiator hose....you can put 4x as much coolant into your block through the upper radiator hose as you can fit in your radiator!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Launching!

I filled it with the car jacked up on the passenger side so the coolant would reach the upper hose. Next time I'll just use the upper hose.

Quick Reply: Is my cooling system plumbed right?