Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 3rd gen, what lines up/needs custom done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 3rd gen, what lines up/needs custom done?

As far as the swap, I know engine swaps with relocation engine mounts and Trans mounts with new crossmember. I'm trying to figure out what I can buy for regular LS1, and what I will need to have modified/custom done. I'm going to list a few things and please let me know if I'm wrong.

Engine
(all the same as LS1 car cept mounts)

Trans
(all the same as Ls1 car cept crossmember)

Rear
(Direct swap from 4th Gen Camaro)

Headers - will any Ls1 headers fit or will they need to be custom?
Driveshaft - same as Ls1?
Fuel lines/rails/pump - Same as Ls1 or 3rd gen or hybrid?
Guages - Stock 3rd gen can be used along with a converter
PCM - 2000+ PCM what I'm going for (as I've read earlier PCM's not as good for tuning)
Wiring harness - will need to be custom done or bought for $1000-1200 from Hawks.

As an overview, I'm building this with intention on doing it right the first time. Engine with forged internals, good heads/cam (nitrous a good possibility). T56 build going to be done through T56 rebuilds (Stage 4 I'm thinking), Rear going to be Ford 9" probably or maybe something lighter. This is all going into a formally Auto 350 87' Iroc-Z w/ T-top. Car will be tracked few times a year, but mostly fun nice-weather car. Some of what I listed may be overkill, but I want to ensure I can have fun and have little chance of blowing up anything as possible. Of course, comments/reccomendations are always welcome.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You kind of lost me with the wording of your post... but here goes...

Engine... Yes everything is the same as a 4th gen car, except you will need to bolt conversion mounts to your k-member. The stock 4th gen mounts are used on the block. You will also need to notch the k-member if you are going to keep the 4th gen a/c compressure.

Trans...not an issue. Just get a conversion crossmember from one of the many vendors. Bolt in deal...only have to decide what you watn to do about your torque arm. Check out spohn.net for options.

Rear....You can use a 4th gen rear no problem. However be aware that it is a good deal wider than a 3rd gen. So you will have to switch to a different wheel combo in the rear unless you awnt your rear tires to stick out more.

Headers...you have three options. Keep stock manifolds, build your own headers from scratch, or buy the headers from Hawks. Your real challenge will be in the y-pipe...

Fuel lines.... You can either do full custom, modify your thirdgen set up, or modify the 4th gen lines to fit. Either way you choose has its ups and downs. Modifying the 3rd gen lines seems to be the most popular I think..

You should really do some research on this board, as well as thirdgen.org . ALL of the info you can possibly use on this swap is available. TONs of info. Search on here, thirdgen.org, and even google. I promise you will find all that you need.

If you still have specific questions at that point, post up or PM me or any of the other guys that have done the swap.

Justin