LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

weeping fuel rail.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 AM
nfa
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weeping fuel rail.

I was poking around the engine the other day and noticed that I have fuel weeping from the connection between the passenger side fuel rail and the pipe on the front of the intake near the throttle body. I wiped the area with a rag then started up the motor and noticed that fuel reappeared immediately. Is there an o-ring inside of this connection that I can change to stop it from leaking??? Do I just pull this connection apart to change it??

Thanks!!
Mike.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I know off, its supposed to be one peice, if you are refering to the cross over tube from one rail to the other.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Take out the four bolts that hold the fuel rails to the manifold.
2. Lift out the complete fuel rail assembly enough to get at the two torx head screws that hold in the crossover tube. Have plenty of paper towels handy, because you are fixing to puke out a bunch of fuel (Make sure that the car is not pointing down hill. Also best done when the engine is cold.).
3. Replace the O-rings on the crossover tube. You will probably have to get them from the dealer to make sure that you get the right material. I always put a slight dab of vasoline on O-rings so that they don't get damaged.
4. Carefully put everything back.

I would suggest that it is not a good idea to drive your car until this is fixed. It would be a shame to have a meltdown over an O-ring failure.

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
nfa
Teching In

THANK YOU FOR THE FAST RESPONSES!!! Whew.. what a relief. I was afraid that there wasnt any o-rings in there and that I would have to buy a new fuel rail!!!! Is it a good idea to replace injector orings while I am at it as a preventative measure?

I cant drive the car right now even if I wanted to... waiting on replacement opti/water pump to come in

Originally Posted by GIZMO
1. Take out the four bolts that hold the fuel rails to the manifold.
2. Lift out the complete fuel rail assembly enough to get at the two torx head screws that hold in the crossover tube. Have plenty of paper towels handy, because you are fixing to puke out a bunch of fuel (Make sure that the car is not pointing down hill. Also best done when the engine is cold.).
3. Replace the O-rings on the crossover tube. You will probably have to get them from the dealer to make sure that you get the right material. I always put a slight dab of vasoline on O-rings so that they don't get damaged.
4. Carefully put everything back.

I would suggest that it is not a good idea to drive your car until this is fixed. It would be a shame to have a meltdown over an O-ring failure.

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

I would visually inspect the injector o rings but not necessarily replace them. I have run and re-run injector o rings bunches of times. I think I might have have some laying out in the garage (new of course). If you want them, send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I'll throw them in the mail for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weeping fuel rail.