General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Saved my motor 2DAY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saved my motor 2DAY!!!

alright, i have ring issues ok...i know i know not good(been this way for a while so im good at monitering it) but i plan on rebuilding the motor the sec i get it paid off...anyway i went to walmart lastnite to get a quart of oil...im stationed in LR so its gettin a little warm around here. I decided to go w/ mobil 15/50...i have used this before and havent had any issues, however i looked into this stuff i had seen before called ENGINE RESTORER...its supposed to clean the cylinder walls, and help w/ compression loss issues...used it a couple of times when i used to have my 88 bronco ....well i add both of them, check the oil and im a tad over....no biggie...i usually keep it that way....well 10min later sittin at a light....i notice my oil pressure is idling at 22psi ....im thinkin WTF ....so i run er through the gears(nothin major just up to 4800k)...the pressure MAYBE tacked 39psi ...at this point im freakin out...pull back on base and shut her down....next morning, i go to crank her up and she idles at 35-37psi(my normal is 50-53)... ....well im mad and scared all at the same time...i decide to take her on the highway just to see if somthin is stuck in the pick up tube....i nail and take her to 5100 and i tap 40...i decided to take a trip to wally world and buy oil and change it out(havent even gone 2000mi on the oil thats already there)....and SURPRISE SURPRISE...i start her up and she sits at 42-44 ....smash it as i leave the shop and she pegs 60 at 4600-4900....a sigh of relief fell over me .....long story short DONT USE ENGINE RESTORER
Old 05-01-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SStheBest
alright, i have ring issues ok...i know i know not good(been this way for a while so im good at monitering it) but i plan on rebuilding the motor the sec i get it paid off...anyway i went to walmart lastnite to get a quart of oil...im stationed in LR so its gettin a little warm around here. I decided to go w/ mobil 15/50...i have used this before and havent had any issues, however i looked into this stuff i had seen before called ENGINE RESTORER...its supposed to clean the cylinder walls, and help w/ compression loss issues...used it a couple of times when i used to have my 88 bronco ....well i add both of them, check the oil and im a tad over....no biggie...i usually keep it that way....well 10min later sittin at a light....i notice my oil pressure is idling at 22psi ....im thinkin WTF ....so i run er through the gears(nothin major just up to 4800k)...the pressure MAYBE tacked 39psi ...at this point im freakin out...pull back on base and shut her down....next morning, i go to crank her up and she idles at 35-37psi(my normal is 50-53)... ....well im mad and scared all at the same time...i decide to take her on the highway just to see if somthin is stuck in the pick up tube....i nail and take her to 5100 and i tap 40...i decided to take a trip to wally world and buy oil and change it out(havent even gone 2000mi on the oil thats already there)....and SURPRISE SURPRISE...i start her up and she sits at 42-44 ....smash it as i leave the shop and she pegs 60 at 4600-4900....a sigh of relief fell over me .....long story short DONT USE ENGINE RESTORER

General rule I use is I never pour anything foreign into my engine fluids. Hell doing seafoam was hard for me. When I poured the stuff, in the back of my mind, if my engine went south I had a general idea of what I would write to Choco. My dad tried Slick 50 in a tranny of one of his cars and it gummed up his valves, which I believe is essentially the same stuff.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

well i am that way as well(trust me)...i dunno i guess my curiosity got the best of me
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

i dont trust stuff like that. i had a oil leak in my truck and used some stuff in it and it got worse so i run it a quart low and its good.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

i havent sea foamed the crankcase though....so i thinkin fo tryin that
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SStheBest
I'm not sure but all the restorer and cleaners that you put in your motor oil read to not leave them in for more than 15 min at IDLE. Check that bottle again just so you'll know. Like if you put seafoam in your crankcase, you ARE NOT supposed to drive it like that. It makes me nervous to put anything like that in even if I am following the instructions. Anything that thins the oil out like that can cause some serious bearing problems. If you want to put something in there to really help the bottom end out and give it some extra protection especially with cold starts, try some Lucas! It is awesome and might even fix some of your ring problems....just a shot. I used it to keep my oil pressure up in an old truck and it stopped smoking when I put that stuff in!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
I'm not sure but all the restorer and cleaners that you put in your motor oil read to not leave them in for more than 15 min at IDLE. Check that bottle again just so you'll know. Like if you put seafoam in your crankcase, you ARE NOT supposed to drive it like that. It makes me nervous to put anything like that in even if I am following the instructions. Anything that thins the oil out like that can cause some serious bearing problems. If you want to put something in there to really help the bottom end out and give it some extra protection especially with cold starts, try some Lucas! It is awesome and might even fix some of your ring problems....just a shot. I used it to keep my oil pressure up in an old truck and it stopped smoking when I put that stuff in!
No your actually suppose to drive 50 miles with the seafoam in the crankcase.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had very good luck in my V10 Ford truck with a bottle of Auto-RX. The visible brown varnish under the valve covers has been replaced by bright, shiny silver metal. As well as it cleaned there I can only imagine how clean the rings and other parts have become. At 86k miles and driving it like the old man that I am, it felt like a pig. It feels a lot more peppy now.

I've got a treatment in the Camaro right now. I only have another 300 miles and I'll drain it and put in some rinse oil. 2k miles on that and it's back to the oil of my choice.

Auto-RX works more slowly than many other engine cleaners. It dissolves sludge and varnish and allows it to be rinsed away by oil flow. It's dead simple to use, and the price isn't out of line.

Some people say it didn't clean up all their sludge, but those people have a BAD problem and little would help them but a pressure sprayer and solvent. Still, others have had very good luck and have nothing but good things to say. It does take a total of 3,500 miles (1500 mile treatment, 2000 mile rinse), and many are impatient types. But, that's one of the good points.

There's a forum with a lot of Auto-RX (and other engine cleaners) at BITOG, and the Auto-RX website has a great deal of information.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used Engine Restore in my '93 Thunderbird Super Coupe just to try it and after i did the car ran like **** and would stall out. Dumped the oil and ran some new stuff through it for a day and then dumped that and refilled again. cleaned all the crap Engine Restore out and when i checked the oil cap i had a milky white substance under it. I thought i popped a headgasket using the stuff. i didn't, but i'll NEVER use that stuff again as it does more damage then good.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99corvette
No your actually suppose to drive 50 miles with the seafoam in the crankcase.
but why on earth would you want to wash your bearings with a solvent? and then on top of it drive it? can there possibly be that much varnish or buildup in the bottom of the motor to make a bit of difference?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

but why on earth would you want to wash your bearings with a solvent? and then on top of it drive it? can there possibly be that much varnish or buildup in the bottom of the motor to make a bit of difference?
the stuff is %100 petroleum....its not gonna harm ur engine...
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

GM Top Engine Cleaner is just like Seafoam

http://www.sdparts.com/product/10526...68cyl18oz.aspx

Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Wow ive never seen that before, its says its for carbureted engines. I wonder if its safe for fuel injection?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yea like already said it wont hurt it and you wanna circulate it so it cleans everything, It actually recomends you drive the car pretty hard too so that it Cleans everything
Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99corvette
Wow ive never seen that before, its says its for carbureted engines. I wonder if its safe for fuel injection?
Top Engine cleaner? We have a great LSX shop down here and they used it on my old motor (at 125k) and it worked wonders on it. You apply it like seafoam, leave it to soak over night, then start it up in the morning and let it smoke it all out, good stuff. I haven't done it to the new motor but I most likely will (lol, that stuff has NOTHING to do with why I have a new motor, long story), I'd say its safe on fuel injected cars.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Trust
Top Engine cleaner? We have a great LSX shop down here and they used it on my old motor (at 125k) and it worked wonders on it. You apply it like seafoam, leave it to soak over night, then start it up in the morning and let it smoke it all out, good stuff. I haven't done it to the new motor but I most likely will (lol, that stuff has NOTHING to do with why I have a new motor, long story), I'd say its safe on fuel injected cars.
gah u have nice lookin T/A!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Yea like already said it wont hurt it and you wanna circulate it so it cleans everything, It actually recomends you drive the car pretty hard too so that it Cleans everything
yes correct seafoam is, but I swear the stuff I used was not. Even with seafoam, you are still adding something that is thinning out the oil a bit, that just means crappy oil pressure, doesn't make sense to me in some ways, but I guess that is why I'm not a millionare! I still have the burning question why CLEAN your bottom end, if there was something down there that needed cleaning. To me if you could "feel" the difference, the least of worries would be cleaning it. Just my two cents, I ran the stuff when I was losing pressure in my old 4.9 I6 ford, maybe the pump was clogged or something, turned out that wasn't it, but it made me nervous and when I dumped the oil looked real thin, it would be interesting to run some of that stuff in a car and then send it off to a lab to have it tested for kicks.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Actually whenever you chance your oil after seafoam, its really black and thick because it cleans all the sludge out. Thats why they say not to drive it more than 500 miles because the oil gets so thick it might clog up your oil pump.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

yea, I talked to a really good mechanic about those engine cleaners and whatnot, and hes said that not to use them on high millage engines b/c of the possible excessive buildup that they might have will get cleaned and clog in the oil pan and block the screen
Old 05-03-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Veteran

GM top engine cleaner is great.